ADVERTISEMENT

Dasonte Bowen Highlights & Updates (2022 Commit)

I remember not having much to do just after the COVID shutdown. Ogundele had signed with Iowa but there were very few highlights of him available. So I watched him play a full game for Worcester on YouTube.

Not long into the game Worcester's PG was popping through the screen. He made a move into the lane and I remember thinking to myself, "that kid's a big ten PG, right there." I later came to find it was sophomore Dasonte Bowen. He will be good
Link? I'm retired with a lot of free time.🙂

I may not think he's going to start this year but he's definitely a good one. And I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been watching Iowa basketball for a long time as an alumnus. From my experience, a returning junior pg who have proved himself as a reliable backup rarely gets displaced by an incoming freshman. That's what I am basing my guess on. Why do you think Dasonte will be the starter? Based on his high school highlight videos?
Nope.......because I'm very confident that Ulis will never be a good Big10 PG. Serviceable maybe for sub minutes, but he doesn't have the feel/instincts for the position & that doesn't magically appear.

Bowen does though & should just need some time to adjust to the college game to be a good PG. That's never guaranteed for any Freshman, but still way better odds than Ulis' magical transformation that you're expecting.

To be very good or better, that's harder to predict as like all HS PG's......he'll need to improve secondary skills like outside shot, midrange game, & on/off ball defense. I'm not worried that he didn't score much in HS because it's more important that he's already learned to facilitate for multiple college-level players.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Nope.......because I'm very confident that Ulis will never be a good Big10 PG. Serviceable maybe for sub minutes, but he doesn't have the feel/instincts for the position & that doesn't magically appear.

Bowen does though & should just need some time to adjust to the college game to be a good PG. That's never guaranteed for any Freshman, but still way better odds than Ulis' magical transformation that you're expecting.

To be very good or better, that's harder to predict as like all HS PG's......he'll need to improve secondary skills like outside shot, midrange game, & on/off ball defense. I'm not worried that he didn't score much in HS because it's more important that he's already learned to facilitate for multiple college-level players.
Glad to know that you can look at a few highlight clips and tell us how successful a high school player will be at Iowa.

So when will he be first team B1G? First team All American?

I found a telling stat on Bowen. He earned exactly one scholarship to play ball at Iowa, who beat out several good basketball schools for his services. Large enough sample size for you?

Reactions: perryhawk
In the article Tom talks about the BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club) connection, which was a big part in landing Dasonte. TJ Power (2023), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC.

Courtney Eldridge and his BABC connections will hopefully help us land T.J. Power , who Iowa offered on Aug 27, 2020. TJ is from Shrewsbury, MA. TJ officially visited Iowa City the weekend of Oct 8, 2021. According to Rivals, Iowa is the first school TJ visited.

And speaking of connections, FIVE 2023 players who Iowa has offered will be attending the same high school (Brewster Academy) in 2022-2023 as Dasonte Bowen: Matas Buzelis, Reid Ducharme, Aaron Clark, JP Estrella and Taylor Bowen.

In the article, Dasonte said this about them: "I know those guys are open in their recruitment."

Keep an eye on the Iowa/ BABC (Boston Amateur Basketball Club) connection, which was a big part in landing Dasonte Bowen.

TJ Power (2023 kid Iowa has offered), Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC.

ADVERTISEMENT