ADVERTISEMENT

Daughter was exposed (Covid, pervs)

TailgateTom

HR Heisman
Oct 7, 2003
Well, it finally happened. Got a call from the school yesterday that my daughter was contact traced for en exposure on Tuesday. They of course don't tell you anything. From talking to her it sounds like it happened on the bus...nobody has been missing from her class this week except for the girl who sits across the room and has been "on vacation for two weeks" *eye roll*. When I went to pick her up yesterday there was another little girl getting picked up that my daughter pointed out sits "diagonal" from her. I am encouraged because she said masks are worn on the bus at all times, and they have the windows down, but I'm still worried. She's only 7 so I have been riding this out with her. We're staying in the basement, been masked the entire time except to eat, we stay at least 10 feet apart and slept across the room from each other. Hand washing and sanitizing constantly. We also have an air purifier going the whole time. @GOHOX69, if she ends up with it, am I effed?

I'm especially frustrated because if you all remember, I'm at high risk--have congenital heart and lung defects, asthma, and high blood pressure, that is controlled fairly well (a month ago I was 128/82). However, her mom signed her up for 100% face to face (along with riding 2 buses, twice a day when she is with her) without me agreeing to it. I wanted her to do online. After 6 weeks of one sided communication attempts, getting my lawyers involved, she was set to begin online school Monday.

For all of you that advocate "just stay home", some people don't have that choice.

200.gif

Well, it finally happened. Got a call from the school yesterday that my daughter was contact traced for en exposure on Tuesday. They of course don't tell you anything. From talking to her it sounds like it happened on the bus...nobody has been missing from her class this week except for the girl who sits across the room and has been "on vacation for two weeks" *eye roll*. When I went to pick her up yesterday there was another little girl getting picked up that my daughter pointed out sits "diagonal" from her. I am encouraged because she said masks are worn on the bus at all times, and they have the windows down, but I'm still worried. She's only 7 so I have been riding this out with her. We're staying in the basement, been masked the entire time except to eat, we stay at least 10 feet apart and slept across the room from each other. Hand washing and sanitizing constantly. We also have an air purifier going the whole time. @GOHOX69, if she ends up with it, am I effed?

I'm especially frustrated because if you all remember, I'm at high risk--have congenital heart and lung defects, asthma, and high blood pressure, that is controlled fairly well (a month ago I was 128/82). However, her mom signed her up for 100% face to face (along with riding 2 buses, twice a day when she is with her) without me agreeing to it. I wanted her to do online. After 6 weeks of one sided communication attempts, getting my lawyers involved, she was set to begin online school Monday.

For all of you that advocate "just stay home", some people don't have that choice.
First of all, please don't panic. Please take a good multivitamin, vitamin D (5000 IU) and Zinc (25-50 mcg) per day. Hydrate well and sleep well. Practice social distancing as best as you can and wash your hands etc. Don't pick your nose or rub your eyes unless your hands are thoroughly washed. If you or any of your family members, start to show earnest symptoms (shortness of breath, fever etc) direct message me and I'll put you in touch with physicians who can assist you immediately (if you're in the IC/CR area). Stay safe and good luck.

Sorry to hear that dude! Is she showing any signs of symptoms?

I believe that the CDC recommended wearing masks inside. It's tough when they are 7 because you can't just leave them in their room. It seems that if they believe the exposure was on the bus, the risk of transmission is pretty minimal and you and your daughter will be fine. At least, those are my prayers

Reactions: TailgateTom
First of all, please don't panic. Please take a good multivitamin, vitamin D (5000 IU) and Zinc (25-50 mcg) per day. Hydrate well and sleep well. Practice social distancing as best as you can and wash your hands etc. Don't pick your nose or rub your eyes unless your hands are thoroughly washed. If you or any of your family members, start to show earnest symptoms (shortness of breath, fever etc) direct message me and I'll put you in touch with physicians who can assist you immediately (if you're in the IC/CR area). Stay safe and good luck.
Thanks man, I am in the area, and I truly appreciate that. I have been panicked...my wife keeps assuring me that everything will be okay.

Sorry to hear that dude! Is she showing any signs of symptoms?
Thanks buddy. She's been full of piss and vinegar so far, which makes the distancing even more difficult. I had to bark at her once and she teared up. I assured her that I wasn't mad, but we need to take this seriously.

Reactions: Torg and fredjr82

I'm especially frustrated because if you all remember, I'm at high risk--have cor ngenital heart and lung defects, asthma, and high blood pressure, that is controlled fairly well (a month ago I was 128/82). However, her mom signed her up for 100% face to face (along with riding 2 buses, twice a day when she is with her) without me agreeing to it. I wanted her to do online. After 6 weeks of one sided communication attempts, getting my lawyers involved, she was set to begin online school Monday. .

Good luck, brother. We are finishing up week two of quarantine after the wife (no pic), daughter (she's 4 1/2, sickos) and I were directly exposed. We had another small family over for dinner and so the girls could play. Found out two days later that the mother tested positive. No clue how, she and hubby both work from home and rarely go out, very similar to us. So far, my wife and daughter have had only mild cold-like symptoms. I have been symptom free so far, went ahead and got tested this past Wednesday and hoping for results today. I am hoping to go back to work Monday. Our office opens up 100% this coming Thursday. I have high blood pressure so I've had a little bit of anxiety over it.

Back in April, I had bronchitis and wondered if it was Covid so I called my doctor. He told me at the time that if I did contract Covid, given my individual health at the age of 50, I would have less than a 0.5% chance of requiring hospitalization. That made me feel better, but I have definitely been nervous as my wife and kid have show symptoms. Hang tough and keep us posted!

You said if she ends up with it, you’re effed. Remember, she may have it and never show symptoms. Just saying.

Good luck, brother. We are finishing up week two of quarantine after the wife (no pic), daughter (she's 4 1/2, sickos) and I were directly exposed. We had another small family over for dinner and so the girls could play. Found out two days later that the mother tested positive. No clue how, she and hubby both work from home and rarely go out, very similar to us. So far, my wife and daughter have had only mild cold-like symptoms. I have been symptom free so far, went ahead and got tested this past Wednesday and hoping for results today. I am hoping to go back to work Monday. Our office opens up 100% this coming Thursday. I have high blood pressure so I've had a little bit of anxiety over it.

Back in April, I had bronchitis and wondered if it was Covid so I called my doctor. He told me at the time that if I did contract Covid, given my individual health at the age of 50, I would have less than a 0.5% chance of requiring hospitalization. That made me feel better, but I have definitely been nervous as my wife and kid have show symptoms. Hang tough and keep us posted!
We'll do, thank you, and I pray everything goes well for you too! It's so weird, my oldest son was exposed a month ago. Him and a friend ran to Iowa City to get some to go food, two days in a row. Kid called my son a couple days later and told him he tested positive and had mild cold-like symptoms also. My son quarantined for 2 weeks, didn't have any symptoms so couldnt' get tested until day 8. We got his results on day 15 post exposure, and thankfully he was negative. My daughter and I stayed at my parents house for the duration as a precaution (we wernt' around him at all from when he was exposed to when he was notified). That gives me hope that he can be in the same vehicle, no masks for over an hour, twice, and not get it. I know it impacts everyone differently, so who knows.

You said if she ends up with it, you’re effed. Remember, she may have it and never show symptoms. Just saying.
Oh I know, what I meant was--If she does end up having it this whole time. Should have been more clear.

Tom, hopefully everything works out OK. While this virus is very contagious if you continue to practice good hygiene there’s an excellent chance you won’t contract it. I’m hopeful your daughter is in the clear as well. Best wishes to all of you.

Excellent advice.

My advice to you is to change your avatar.

FWIW, the few people that I know that tested positive for it never spread it to their families. Hopefully that is the case for you.

Was notified by our pastor last Wednesday that a family attending the previous Sunday contacted him to say their daughter from college (who attended) has infected the family. Grandma called us today to let us know they all made it.Even the 82 yr old grandpa . Said he ran a temp and had congestion and tired but doing great today. Out feeding the cattle.
Wife and I had no affects. Guess we missed it.

You never hold your seven year old daughter? I would find that impossible to maintain.

Are there any statistics available to assess your actual risk? I’m pretty sure age is by far the biggest factor, with obesity a distant second. Because maintaining social distance while living with a seven year old seems like a tall task.

Reactions: Gimmered and thewop
Where district are you in?

Got a call yesterday from the assistant principal from CCA middle school. A girl in my daughters class caught the vids. Two weeks no school for us. Sounds like the girl is getting bullied pretty bad on line as it's obviously her fault. Kids are idiots.

You never hold your seven year old daughter? I would find that impossible to maintain.

Are there any statistics available to assess your actual risk? I’m pretty sure age is by far the biggest factor, with obesity a distant second. Because maintaining social distance while living with a seven year old seems like a tall task.

I hold her constantly. It about made me want to throw up telling her to stay away. I don’t know about actual statistics, I’ve tried to google that a lot, and haven’t ever came up with anything definitive. I know my dad, who is 65, diabetic, has COPD, and a host of other issues was told by his doctor that if he got it, he would have an 8-15% chance of death, by his doctor. I get what you’re saying, and cling to that. I just have read about various people my age (the poor bastard from North English who was a healthy 35 year old, I’m 37) passing away from it and it scares the shit out of me. I understand those cases are the outliers, but as my luck seems to go I’d be one

Where district are you in?

Got a call yesterday from the assistant principal from CCA middle school. A girl in my daughters class caught the vids. Two weeks no school for us. Sounds like the girl is getting bullied pretty bad on line as it's obviously her fault. Kids are idiots.
Wow. I don’t understand the hate some of these kids get as it is, let alone having this virus.

we’re not CCA, and I don’t want to say it for fear of outing myself (for now anyway) but we’re near you guys.

Sounds to me like the best thing to do would be have mom take the kid until she is completely clear. Better safe than sorry and she sounds like a witch.
Total witch. There are things 37 year old me would slap the shit out of 22 year old me for, and the red flags associated with her would be several. But, I won’t complain because I got my daughter out it! Even though I offered, and my daughter begged to stay with me the whole quarantine, the law backs the decree and it is her weekend. It actually surprised me because my poor daughter has already been swabbed once (she had a fever and congestion two months ago) and she refused to keep her while waiting for the results to come back (I wouldn’t have been exposed yet, so told her the safe play was for her to keep her until we knew). So I spent 48 hours in quarantine once already with her waiting for her tests. It was negative then, thankfully.

I hope and pray that you both stay healthy. It's hard enough being a parent without all this extra to worry about.

I hold her constantly. It about made me want to throw up telling her to stay away. I don’t know about actual statistics, I’ve tried to google that a lot, and haven’t ever came up with anything definitive. I know my dad, who is 65, diabetic, has COPD, and a host of other issues was told by his doctor that if he got it, he would have an 8-15% chance of death, by his doctor. I get what you’re saying, and cling to that. I just have read about various people my age (the poor bastard from North English who was a healthy 35 year old, I’m 37) passing away from it and it scares the shit out of me. I understand those cases are the outliers, but as my luck seems to go I’d be one

The inability to get these kind of statistics is frustrating. The only one I have hard statistics on is age group. And race, which is skewed heavily towards minorities but that is likely more related to access to health care than the virus actually being more deadly for them.

Yeah, I saw where of all the 48k or some such cases of college student positive results so far there were 2 hospitalizations. It also appears the transmission rates in schools are astronomically low. All good news. I'm much more concerned my kids will die in a car accident on the way to school than from COVID after they get there.

Reactions: hawkland14
The inability to get these kind of statistics is frustrating. The only one I have hard statistics on is age group. And race, which is skewed heavily towards minorities but that is likely more related to access to health care than the virus actually being more deadly for them.
Actually skin tone correlates to vitamin D deficiency. Blood type is also a factor, as are other blood issues connected to race, although the correlations aren't fully understood.

I hope and pray that you both stay healthy. It's hard enough being a parent without all this extra to worry about.
Thanks Birch, I appreciate that. It certainly is...trying to do everything possible to protect your child and failing is truly a helpless feeling.

Actually skin tone correlates to vitamin D deficiency. Blood type is also a factor, as are other blood issues connected to race, although the correlations aren't fully understood.

The blood type relationship turned out to be false. And Ive never seen anything relating to any vitamin deficiency.

ADVERTISEMENT