ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Chappelle’s ‘SNL’ monologue sparks backlash as being antisemitic

Is your family name "Warren"?
I think Cherokee in particular was a common ancestry people claimed back in the day because Cherokee Nation only requires or required that you have one ancestor on the Dawes Rolls to be considered Cherokee so it was pretty believable for just about anyone to be part Cherokee.

Agree, but he's now at the point where he seems to enjoy the poking more that the joking.

Correct. He's not quite at the Elon and Ye benchmark, but he's making his case. Pretty much just wants to offend rather than be funny

Correct. He's not quite at the Elon and Ye benchmark, but he's making his case. Pretty much just wants to offend rather than be funny
By what standard? He’s current and humorous in his dissection of social issues in a timely manner?
I disagree with the take he’s sold out to just seek to offend.

Comedians will always push the limits. Nobody is safe from being targeted.
If it’s not your style, or if you aren’t entertained, don’t watch.
Chappelle‘s monologue is getting way more attention now, because of the controversy.

By what standard? He’s current and humorous in his dissection of social issues in a timely manner?
I disagree with the take he’s sold out to just seek to offend.

By the standard of the present time in which we live? It's #ownthe<insertname> and nothing else at a certain point, Chappelle just chose trans and the Jews

“Ironically, Adidas was founded by Nazis and they were offended” is pretty damn funny.

Compared to the Chappelle show 20 years ago, it's pretty meh. I'm sure it's funny to you and those like you.

By the standard of the present time in which we live? It's #ownthe<insertname> and nothing else at a certain point, Chappelle just chose trans and the Jews
He’s always current, and not scared to push the boundaries or be scared to joke about it. But we can disagree- comedy is subjective

I thought Chapelle's monologue was genius and reading through this thread not surprised it flew way over a lot of people's heads. The subject matter of Kanye and his anti-semitic rants were just the vehicle Dave used to talk about the evils of cancel culture and how freedom of speech is being stamped out. Sure, you can be free to speak something, even something stupid, but the consequences are so high, BILLIONS of dollars in Kanye's case, that it is effectively silencing people the same as throwing them in prison would.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I thought Chapelle's monologue was genius and reading through this thread not surprised it flew way over a lot of people's heads. The subject matter of Kanye and his anti-semitic rants were just the vehicle Dave used to talk about the evils of cancel culture and how freedom of speech is being stamped out. Sure, you can be free to speak something, even something stupid, but the consequences are so high, BILLIONS of dollars in Kanye's case, that it is effectively silencing people the same as throwing them in prison would.
I think you're hearing a little bit you want to hear from the monologue that isn't there.

Lol at genius. It's standup, & it was good. Settle down there, slick.

A group of successful black guys is a gang. A group of Italians is a mafia. A group of Jews is a coincidence.

Reactions: artradley
I think you're hearing a little bit you want to hear from the monologue that isn't there.
He's playing the role of the court jester, that's what good social commentary comedians do. They speak the truth about things while making you laugh about it but there is a message in there.

Reactions: TennNole17
From the end of Dave's monologue.

"It shouldn't be this scary to talk about anything. It's making my job incredibly difficult, and to be honest with you, I'm sick of talking to a crowd like this. I love you to death, and I thank you for your support. And I hope they don't take anything away from me. Whoever they are."

This was the point of the entire monologue.

I don't know what kind of "free speech" one thinks could exist where you think you have a right to ponder the Jewish Question without getting nasty feedback from other people with free speech. Free speech isn't freedom from criticism. Kanye had a trillion chances, I can't believe anyone is sympathetic to him

Reactions: BelemNole
I don't know what kind of "free speech" one thinks could exist where you think you have a right to ponder the Jewish Question without getting nasty feedback from other people with free speech. Free speech isn't freedom from criticism. Kanye had a trillion chances, I can't believe anyone is sympathetic to him
Oh, I'm definitely not sympathetic to Kanye.

ETA: I do think DC has a point in his commentary about what price is too high of a price to pay. That it shouldn't be this scary to talk. It will lead to people not talking, not communicating. People just shutting down and only speaking accepted speech. It drives speech underground. That's not a good thing either.

I don't get what he was going for with that.

So it leaves open the interpretation that maybe they're up to no good?
He was saying how it is taboo in Hollywood to imply there is any kind of organized Jewish group making decisions in the industry. And that it is acceptable to accuse other ethnicities of doing so but not Jewish people.

Reactions: artradley
Sure, you can be free to speak something, even something stupid, but the consequences are so high, BILLIONS of dollars in Kanye's case, that it is effectively silencing people the same as throwing them in prison would.
It's capitalism, a company can decide what they would like to do with their employees. That has always been the case in this country. Ask Jimmy the Greek. Your comparison of capitalism to countries that do not allow free speech is totally off. Losing a contract vs being thrown in jail for saying something are apples and oranges. Kayne still has a shitload of money. No need to have pity for that guy. He knows he is playing with fire.

He was saying how it is taboo in Hollywood to imply there is any kind of organized Jewish group making decisions in the industry. And that it is acceptable to accuse other ethnicities of doing so but not Jewish people.
That, and that's it's ok in our society to imply negative connotations about other minority groups, but you dare not do so with the Jewish people. They enjoy a protected status, which other groups do not.

You're kind of making his (and my) point. More often than not, Chappelle is smarter than his audience.

That's what I love most about comedy, when I think it promotes ideas about society I agree with like "you can't even tell a joke anymore" - comedian on SNL. I don't like to reduce Chappelle's comedy to that kind of simplistic The Villages brunch narrative. But maybe that's where he is now?

The arbitrary nature of stereotypes that are considered okay to make versus those that aren’t.

Could be. Maybe I'm forgetting some context on this... but... what a mess of a statement that was if that's what he was going for.

His comparisons were literal organized crime families. Are successful groups of black or italian are referred to, or thought of, in any serious sense, gang members or mafia?

There is no appreciable faction of Americans that believe groups of blacks or italian are successful because of their organized crime.

Not the way people believe there are groups of Jews that conspire to control some domain of industry.

Such a stretch I didn't even see it.

Could be. Maybe I'm forgetting some context on this... but... what a mess of a statement that was if that's what he was going for.

His comparisons were literal organized crime families. Are successful groups of black or italian are referred to, or thought of, in any serious sense, gang members or mafia?

There is no appreciable faction of Americans that believe groups of blacks or italian are successful because of their organized crime.

Not the way people believe there are groups of Jews that conspire to control some domain of industry.

Such a stretch I didn't even see it.

Part of the context should include that he had just stated that it was delusional to think “the Jews” ran Hollywood.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
It has become taboo because this sentiment has followed around jews for centuries to quite deleterious effect. Not so with the other groups cited. I didn't even get the comparison.

I agree with Dave that people aren't necessarily crazy to wonder about the number of Jews in X, to think it shouldn't be taboo. Valid point to make.

But the answer isn't conspiracy -- so ok, maybe there is some Jewish nepotism at times or something relatively benign -- it's much more so to do with their book-smarts and other socio-economic status variables. If he would've bent it back that way perhaps...

As it was, he sort of opened up the question and left it there, effectively. If his chief focus was to use the Jewish issue to point to out hypocrisy in our condemning one sort of stereotyping but not another ... then I think he fell flat. Which really doesn't work out so given that he used to the topic of conspiracy against jews to point out said hypocrisies.

ADVERTISEMENT