ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Chappelle’s ‘SNL’ monologue sparks backlash as being antisemitic

It has become taboo because this sentiment has followed around jews for centuries to quite deleterious effect. Not so with the other groups cited. I didn't even get the comparison.

I agree with Dave that people aren't necessarily crazy to wonder about the number of Jews in X, to think it shouldn't be taboo. Valid point to make.

But the answer isn't conspiracy -- so ok, maybe there is some Jewish nepotism at times or something relatively benign -- it's much more so to do with their book-smarts and other socio-economic status variables. If he would've bent it back that way perhaps...

As it was, he sort of opened up the question and left it there, effectively. If his chief focus was to use the Jewish issue to point to out hypocrisy in our condemning one sort of stereotyping but not another ... then I think he fell flat. Which really doesn't work out so given that he used to the topic of conspiracy against jews to point out said hypocrisies.
I understood exactly what he meant the moment he said it. The only thing that puzzles me is why you’re struggling so much with it.

It was a joke. It seems like you’re overthinking it.

I understood exactly what he meant the moment he said it. The only thing that puzzles me is why you’re struggling so much with it.

I literally wasn't sure what the heck he was going for. I was trying to explain my thought process and why I didn't apparently get it.

Sort of fun to try to analyze. (even if I've probably halfway forgotten the performance at this point)

Here's the thing, not all jokes are good jokes.

I think most comedians would be very happy with a joke that is still being discussed weeks later, while people debate if they liked it or not.

One thing I'll say about politics and stand-up/comedy... it's hardly ever elucidating or meaningful anymore given the damned level political analysis in every domain of society anymore. Nobody really makes any point that you wouldn't have heard already.

The only thing comedy seems good for is exploring political taboos...

Nice to see folks still making entirely too big of a deal out of what Dave said on SNL over a week ago.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Regardless of whether or not you find it funny, the point of the joke is fairly self-evident. I stand by my statement that Colonoscopy is over-thinking it.
And as I said in my first post - not all jokes are good jokes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT