ADVERTISEMENT

Davenport coach alleges racist comments by basketball refs

That is incorrect. According to the article, a player and his mom who were at the game corroborate the coach's claim.

Barring actual audio, however, it is unlikely anyone will ever know what was actually said for certain.

Completely missed that part in the article.

Thanks

Reactions: torbee
One thing I've seen multiple times...

Generally speaking (meaning there are exceptions), the bigger, wealthier the school and the closer to suburbs/big cities, the better the reffing. The further away from those areas and the smaller the schools, the worse the reffing.

TBF, I don't expect the same from HS/Jr High refs that I do from college/pro refs. But not everyone can say that with honesty. As long as they are somewhat consistent and call the major things properly, while missing a questionable travel or foul, I'm good.

Also, I can't tell you the number of times I've tried explaining to other fans what a travel is, a reach is, that over the back isn't and basic rules that people tend to yell (incorrectly) at refs about.

And then tonight I lost my mind on officials but did everything I could to throw my rage fest on the sideline to myself. No clue who jump balls were supposed to go to. Let the other team inbounds off a dead ball without having the official touch the ball. Literally inbounded off the wall once. No consistency on travels or fouls. My girl got tackled out of bounds and was called for a travel. I thought we were in great position on one where our girl was sliding and and their girl ran out of room collapsing to the floor with the ball in her hands. Foul on us? No, I wouldn't have been happy but that was reasonable. Travel? No. Charge? Shouldn't have been but made more sense than it being out of bounds off of us... which was the call. The incompetence was at an all time high tonight. Litetally the worst ever.

Still. I told my players to calm the eff down. Thank goodness the game was not in jeopardy at the end.

And then tonight I lost my mind on officials but did everything I could to throw my rage fest on the sideline to myself. No clue who jump balls were supposed to go to. Let the other team inbounds off a dead ball without having the official touch the ball. Literally inbounded off the wall once. No consistency on travels or fouls. My girl got tackled out of bounds and was called for a travel. I thought we were in great position on one where our girl was sliding and and their girl ran out of room collapsing to the floor with the ball in her hands. Foul on us? No, I wouldn't have been happy but that was reasonable. Travel? No. Charge? Shouldn't have been but made more sense than it being out of bounds off of us... which was the call. The incompetence was at an all time high tonight. Litetally the worst ever.

Still. I told my players to calm the eff down. Thank goodness the game was not in jeopardy at the end.

I saw a game in which a ball went over the backboard, hit the support then was rebounded and the put back was allowed to stand. Later, a kid shooting a technical FT was allowed to walk, with the ball in hand, over to his coach then back...FT counted. Also, after a kid fouled the shooter (they actually called the foul on the defensive player, told the scorer and everything) they put a player on defense on the line, even after the scorer tried to correct them.

That game had 9 players between to two team foul out, a player and coach from each team ejected for "arguing" with the refs, and members of the crowd ejected. I've never seen officials less able to call and control a game.

• Wow
Reactions: torbee
I saw a game in which a ball went over the backboard, hit the support then was rebounded and the put back was allowed to stand. Later, a kid shooting a technical FT was allowed to walk, with the ball in hand, over to his coach then back...FT counted. Also, after a kid fouled the shooter (they actually called the foul on the defensive player, told the scorer and everything) they put a player on defense on the line, even after the scorer tried to correct them.

That game had 9 players between to two team foul out, a player and coach from each team ejected for "arguing" with the refs, and members of the crowd ejected. I've never seen officials less able to call and control a game.

Haha, that would have been worse. I really only argued the big ones and the rest I just pissed and moaned on the bench. I was already trying to keep my team calm after horrendous calls.

Reactions: SSG T

Oh, and the same 3 officials worked the game a week later where Jamie Pollard was infamously ejected as a fan. A friend of mine's son played for the team playing Gilbert (they had played us the aforementioned game). He said "Oh, it was way worse than when we played you." He said they could have picked 3 random people and done a better job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT