ADVERTISEMENT

Davenport IA voted #29 best small US city

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
29. DAVENPORT
Young talent and culture vultures flock to the only area where the Mississippi runs east-west.
POPULATION
METRO: 380,106
Davenport is part of the Quad Cities, which also includes Iowa’s Bettendorf and Moline, East Moline, and Rock Island in Illinois (yes, that’s technically five cities). Distinguishing Davenport on the banks of the Mississippi is its status as the region’s economic powerhouse. It reached the Top 10 in our Prosperity category (#8), thanks to the heavy presence of companies such as Kraft Heinz, Nestle Purina and John Deere. Midway between Chicago and Des Moines, Davenport ranked high in our Product category (#32), notably due to its airport connectivity (#16). Four airlines served 11 nonstop hubs through Quad City International Airport as of early 2020, but of course the COVID-19 pandemic has changed that, for now. Along with educational services and health care, arts and entertainment are a significant employer. Not coincidentally, Davenport performs well in our main Programming category (#23), ranking #10 for Nightlife, #21 for Museums (consider the glass Figge Art Museum) and #22 for Culture (take the annual Riverssance fest). Not surprisingly, construction of hundreds of downtown apartments is underway to house those being drawn to the city.

https://resonanceco.com/reports/2020-americas-best-small-cities/

29. DAVENPORT
Young talent and culture vultures flock to the only area where the Mississippi runs east-west.
POPULATION
Davenport is part of the Quad Cities, which also includes Iowa’s Bettendorf and Moline, East Moline, and Rock Island in Illinois (yes, that’s technically five cities). Distinguishing Davenport on the banks of the Mississippi is its status as the region’s economic powerhouse. It reached the Top 10 in our Prosperity category (#8), thanks to the heavy presence of companies such as Kraft Heinz, Nestle Purina and John Deere. Midway between Chicago and Des Moines, Davenport ranked high in our Product category (#32), notably due to its airport connectivity (#16). Four airlines served 11 nonstop hubs through Quad City International Airport as of early 2020, but of course the COVID-19 pandemic has changed that, for now. Along with educational services and health care, arts and entertainment are a significant employer. Not coincidentally, Davenport performs well in our main Programming category (#23), ranking #10 for Nightlife, #21 for Museums (consider the glass Figge Art Museum) and #22 for Culture (take the annual Riverssance fest). Not surprisingly, construction of hundreds of downtown apartments is underway to house those being drawn to the city.

Cool but Des Moines says hold my beer as the #14 medium city overall and it holds a #2 ranking for Prosperity and a #3 ranking for its number of Fortune 500 headquarters.
14. DES MOINES
The affordability brings the soul while entrepreneurs and head offices serve up plenty of jobs. As young talent reconsiders big cities, Des Moines checks a lot of boxes.
POPULATION
METRO: 655,409
HIGHLIGHTED RANKINGS
number-1-1.svg
number-1-3.svg
PEOPLE
number-1-2.svg
PROSPERITY
See Methodology

Set on the Des Moines River among the state’s famous rolling cornfields, Iowa’s state capital is a business mecca with an artsy side, bustling late into the evening with a blend of daring culture and heartland hospitality. Add in the low, low cost of living, and is it any wonder prairie-cool Des Moines, which earns our #2 ranking for Prosperity, is one of the fastest-growing cities in the Midwest? Des Moines earns an impressive #3 ranking for its number of Fortune 500 headquarters. Major outposts of Nationwide and Wells Fargo round out the thriving finance and insurance sector, which boasts a $3-billion annual payroll. And in the golden-domed State Capitol, lawmakers are working to ensure a friendly business climate with temptingly low corporate taxes. Business might be booming, but that doesn’t mean cost of living is: Des Moines remains affordable, with housing costs at about two-thirds the national average. With that, the burgeoning cultural scene, and friendly Midwest attitude, you get a combination that is attracting increasing numbers of young talent who appreciate the feeling that—in the words of one recent young arrival—all of Des Moines is one “large living room.”

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/americas-best-cities-medium/

Last edited:
CR is nicer than Davenport.
85 per that source. Obviously they have never been there when the smell kicks in.

85. CEDAR RAPIDS
For every major project, there is a season.
POPULATION
METRO: 272,295
HIGHLIGHTED RANKINGS
number-1-3.svg
number-1-3.svg
PRODUCT
number-1-6.svg
number-1-1.svg
PROSPERITY
See Methodology

They call it the City of Five Seasons because back in the late 1960s, commuting time was far much shorter here than in bigger urban centers, leading to a more relaxed lifestyle (and more time to enjoy the four seasons). Life has gotten busier since, with food manufacturing and processing (Frito-Lay and General Mills operate here), tech, and transportation being major economic drivers. Connectivity is a strong area, the city ranking #11 with Eastern Iowa Airport having nonstop flights to seven destinations. The recently renovated, 471,227 square foot convention complex, U.S. Cellular Center, is the state’s second largest, landing Cedar Rapids a #13 ranking for Convention Center Size and an overall Product ranking of #33. The city was strong in terms of Programming (#60), making our top 50 for Nightlife (#36) and Restaurants (#50). One of the city’s largest investments is a 2,150-foot long wall up to 18 feet high in some places around Quaker Oats to protect the food manufacturing giant and the city itself from flooding, to be complete by 2021 at a cost of $17-million.

Reactions: QChawks
I enjoy living in downtown Dport. Good music scene, nice places to eat, varying places for people of all ages to hang out, and a tolerable amount of crazy people. Helps that Shenanigans is gone
Also should be noted that they are including the metro for these areas. When you throw in Bettendorf and Moline, and a smidge of Rock Island, the quad cities is 10x the city of Cedar Rapids and I guess Marion.

29. DAVENPORT
POPULATION

I like living here, but if this is the 29th best small city in America, that’s pretty sad. Lots of poverty and other troubling issues that need to be fixed here.

Reactions: Niko13
85 per that source. Obviously they have never been there when the smell kicks in.

85. CEDAR RAPIDS
For every major project, there is a season.
POPULATION
METRO: 272,295
HIGHLIGHTED RANKINGS
number-1-3.svg
number-1-3.svg
PRODUCT
number-1-6.svg
number-1-1.svg
PROSPERITY
See Methodology

They call it the City of Five Seasons because back in the late 1960s, commuting time was far much shorter here than in bigger urban centers, leading to a more relaxed lifestyle (and more time to enjoy the four seasons). Life has gotten busier since, with food manufacturing and processing (Frito-Lay and General Mills operate here), tech, and transportation being major economic drivers. Connectivity is a strong area, the city ranking #11 with Eastern Iowa Airport having nonstop flights to seven destinations. The recently renovated, 471,227 square foot convention complex, U.S. Cellular Center, is the state’s second largest, landing Cedar Rapids a #13 ranking for Convention Center Size and an overall Product ranking of #33. The city was strong in terms of Programming (#60), making our top 50 for Nightlife (#36) and Restaurants (#50). One of the city’s largest investments is a 2,150-foot long wall up to 18 feet high in some places around Quaker Oats to protect the food manufacturing giant and the city itself from flooding, to be complete by 2021 at a cost of $17-million.

They are wrong. CR is white collar. Rock Island and Moline are not positives either.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Also should be noted that they are including the metro for these areas. When you throw in Bettendorf and Moline, and a smidge of Rock Island, the quad cities is 10x the city of Cedar Rapids and I guess Marion.
Yea I've lived in both and its not close IMO. I don't like to talk shit about anyone's home (aside from Ames and Nebraska) but I did not enjoy my time in CR to say the least

Reactions: torbee
Yea I've lived in both and its not close IMO. I don't like to talk shit about anyone's home (aside from Ames and Nebraska) but I did not enjoy my time in CR to say the least

And I didnt enjoy mine in QCA...

Better recreational and outdoor activities due to the Mississippi. Better concerts and music scene. Better restaurants.

CR has trails...so I can ride a bike...it has a river so I could fish. If you want to boat you can go to the Res. Concerts? Maybe slightly better. Restaurants? CR does fine. Newbo is nice.

CR has trails...so I can ride a bike...it has a river so I could fish. If you want to boat you can go to the Res. Concerts? Maybe slightly better. Restaurants? CR does fine. Newbo is nice.
Like I said, it’s fine. Your river is smaller with no good boating and subpar fishing. The QC has actual marinas with 35-45 foot yachts, etc.

Your bike trails are fine. The QC is the intersection of two national bike trails. You can bike the Mississippi from Rock Island to Savanna Illinois.

The 5 Season center is ok, gets a few mid level shows. The Taxslayer Center is bigger, gets more national acts and CR has nothing like the Rust Belt or RME.

Your Czech museum, is nice. The Figge was designed by a world-renowned architect and has a pretty prestigious collection for a medium sized Midwestern museum.

Your minor league baseball stadium is pretty nice. But the one in Davenport is widely considered one of the best minor league parks in America.

Again, nothing WRONG with CR. It just can’t quite compete with the QC. It’s also smaller, so no shame in that.

The only thing remotely admirable or noteworthy about West Des Moines is its collection of MILFs. Otherwise it is bland, lame white bread suburbia with no soul or reason for existing.
Val Air Ballroom? There are two WDMs, torbs. Three if you count that slice ppl think is Waukee.

Reactions: ghost80
Val Air Ballroom? There are two WDMs, torbs. Three if you count that slice ppl think is Waukee.
Well much like CR is disadvantaged compared to the QC due to size, such is the case comparing QC to Greater Des Moines. 500,000k plus will have things a 380,000k metro area doesn’t. I have no problem admitting that.

I like being on this side Of the state better though. Feels more aligned with the Great Lakes states than the Great Plains. I think of the QC as like a mini-Milwaukee and Des Moines more like A smaller Kansas City.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT