ADVERTISEMENT

Davenport: Tourist hotspot of Iowa

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

Davenport riverfront being prepped for more cruise ships​

6154b744a7ed1.image.jpg

Another million-dollar investment in a Davenport park is making it cruise-ship ready for next season.
The latest Mississippi River cruise schedule shows large passenger vessels from two cruise lines anchoring simultaneously next year along the seawall at River Heritage Park.

Boats from American Cruise Lines, including classic paddlewheelers and modern riverboats, this year included Davenport in their ports-of-call. Hundreds of riverboat passengers have been disembarking at River Heritage Park, boarding buses for tours of Quad-City destinations.

Newly built riverboats from Viking Cruise Lines also will be anchoring next season in Davenport.

To prepare for the increase in river-fleet traffic, Davenport has made repairs to the seawall and now is extending the river walk/promenade that runs the length of the park's riverfront. The promenade includes a decorative-concrete walkway, lighting and benches.
The custom-made iron railing must also be retrofitted to accommodate the movement of passengers to their waiting tour buses.

"We'll need to add cutaways at the railings, so the cruise lines can extend their gangplanks," said Steve Ahrens, executive director of Davenport's Riverfront Improvement Commission. "The park really meets all the other needs pretty well. The location is just beautiful."

6152033bd8f9d.image.jpg

To beautify it further, the latest project includes grading of the eastern portion for the "great lawn," which is an upstream expanse of riverfront green space.

The Davenport stop on American's cruise schedule has been delivering two ships a week, which will continue through the first of November, Ahrens said. The port-of-call requires several tour buses for land excursions to the Figge Art Museum, John Deere Pavilion, the Quad-City Botanical Center, an Iowa farm and other tourist destinations.

For this season, the parking lot at River Heritage has been sufficient, but Ahrens said lot-configuration improvement is needed, too. But it has to be done correctly.

He said it would help to enlarge the bus drop-off space just inside the park to create a wider turn radius.

"We're getting by just fine right now, but we're getting designs readied for another project," he said. "We have to respect that it's a park. It's a limited amount of space, and you don't want it consumed with concrete for a lot of parking, either."

In the long-term, local historians and river advocates still are fundraising for "First Bridge" which would be a replica span of the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi. It would serve as a foot bridge across East River Drive — from its original embankment on the north side to a new pier at River Heritage Park to the south.
Kathy Wine, of River Action, has been leading the charge for the construction of First Bridge, and she said the ongoing improvements at the park are showing its potential for attracting visitors.

"It is wonderful to see," she said of the comings and goings of cruise passengers. "In the plan, the mound for the River Bridge pier will be on the east side of the land. There's little flooding there, too, which helps."

Also helpful is the number of passengers-turned-tourists who are taking in Quad-City sites.

'A game-changer': Viking River Cruises with stops in Quad-Cities sold out for 2022

At the Figge, for instance, the museum typically is closed on Mondays, but staff is making provisions to accommodate cruise-ship passengers who wish to visit any day.

"We have worked with the programmers from two different cruise (ships) that come through currently to make sure their guests have the opportunity to visit the Figge during their time in the Quad-Cities," said Melissa Mohr, the Figge's director of education. "We are always happy to work with the cruise lines to accommodate their scheduling needs.

"Sometimes this can result in us opening up to the public on days or during times when we are typically closed."

Mohr said hopes are high that diminishing COVID-19 infections will generate more interest in land excursions during next year's even-busier season.

Bike trail a longer river isn’t too bad. Ballpark is nice. Farmers market is well above average.

some fun places to eat.

Whiteys ice cream

Reactions: torbee
Now let’s make the downtown worth visiting
You must not have been down there in awhile?

Considering COVID, it's hopping pretty good. There are currently three new buildings going up at the same time - something that hasn't happened in decades.

I expect a nice post-pandemic boom, particularly after the influx of ARPA money.

Considering COVID, it's hopping pretty good. There are currently three new buildings going up at the same time - something that hasn't happened in decades.

I expect a nice post-pandemic boom, particularly after the influx of ARPA money.
Agree, that person clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Will be nice when that new Daquiri Factory is complete. Will give that block a whole new vibe and wil hopefully drive away the morons that just hang on that corner

Also happy they shut down that Double Crown bar (aka Shenanigans 2.0)

Agree, that person clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Will be nice when that new Daquiri Factory is complete. Will give that block a whole new vibe and wil hopefully drive away the morons that just hang on that corner

Also happy they shut down that Double Crown bar (aka Shenanigans 2.0)
They need to find a good developer for the corner right off the Government bridge, though. It used to be nice when Great River Brewing was up and going with the beer garden and the record store was open and the Dam View had, uh, less hoodlum-y clientele!

I think it's only a matter of time, though. That east end of downtown is really starting to pop.

Look, I like the Quad Cities as much as the next guy. But are people really going to spend thousands of dollars on a riverboat cruise and get excited about disembarking in Davenport so they can get on a bus and take a day trip to an Iowa farm?

Reactions: Im4Iowa
They need to find a good developer for the corner right off the Government bridge, though. It used to be nice when Great River Brewing was up and going with the beer garden and the record store was open and the Dam View had, uh, less hoodlum-y clientele!

I think it's only a matter of time, though. That east end of downtown is really starting to pop.
I think it should get back there. From what I've heard, they're putting a roof top patio on Dam View next Spring. The owner keeps making changes and doing his best with the crowd.. can't see him ever staying open past 11 PM again and I don't blame him. It's a really fun place to hang out for Happy Hour and weekend football.

They're doing some work on the rest of the building. just not quite sure what its going to be yet.

I've also heard somebody bought the Great River location....? Not 100% on that though

Another Meat Balls is going where the previous Downtown Deli was. I REALLY wish they would do something with the land where the old drive thru bank was on Main/3rd. I'd love some sort of Hy Vee Fast & Fresh or something.

Look, I like the Quad Cities as much as the next guy. But are people really going to spend thousands of dollars on a riverboat cruise and get excited about disembarking in Davenport so they can get on a bus and take a day trip to an Iowa farm?
I don't get it but people who spend thousands on a Mississippi cruise are probably the type of people (old) who get excited about visiting an Iowa farm

Wife and I go over twice a year just to eat at Duck City Bistro. My favorite restaurant in Iowa. Thinking about a late October visit. It's awesome. Stay at the Blackhawk across the street and head home the next day. Fun weekend.

Reactions: Pete in LA
I’d be interested in the impact to the local economy. I’ve read of places like Venice, Italy that have tried to stop cruise traffic because it adds a bunch of foot traffic without a lot of spending. Do the cruise ships pay to dock in Davenport? If they just get on a tour bus, take a tour and then leave, I’m not sure how much Davenport is benefitting. I hope people are at least dining in the city.

I’d be interested in the impact to the local economy. I’ve read of places like Venice, Italy that have tried to stop cruise traffic because it adds a bunch of foot traffic without a lot of spending. Do the cruise ships pay to dock in Davenport? If they just get on a tour bus, take a tour and then leave, I’m not sure how much Davenport is benefitting. I hope people are at least dining in the city.
I believe they get a specific amount for every passenger on each cruise

Reactions: DavidHawk324

As much as I like to poke fun (I feel like I can since I lived there 4 years and my in-laws still do), it is pretty cool. I recently spent some time in downtown cedar rapids and there are some cool places there too, such as Black Sheep.

They already are doing that. They are doing it in such large numbers that a second company has now entered the market. I had to navigate a swarm of tourists in the Village of East Davenport yesterday to hit up a wine shop.

By the way, they don't just go to farms they go here:

IMG_0088%20-1-.jpg

and here:

painet-iu2224-east-davenport-village-ia-arcadian-agrarian-agricultural-A5YNTM.jpg

and here:

tlc.John_Deere_Pavilion_Moline_day_1024x700.png

And here:
Document

And here:
Photos-4294.JPG

And here:

MOLINE_HERO_IMAGE_2_1800_675_60_c1.jpg

And here:

042614-leclaire-028-Copy-737x1080.jpg

They already are doing that. They are doing it in such large numbers that a second company has now entered the market. I had to navigate a swarm of tourists in the Village of East Davenport yesterday to hit up a wine shop.

IMG_0088%20-1-.jpg

and here:

painet-iu2224-east-davenport-village-ia-arcadian-agrarian-agricultural-A5YNTM.jpg

and here:

And here:
Document

And here:
Photos-4294.JPG

And here:

And here:

I get some of those things. I really do. And I don’t mean to pooh-pooh the Figge Art Museum. After all, next Thursday all teenagers dressed in anime costumes get in free. Good luck doing that at the Guggenheim or the Smithsonian. And John Deere Pavilion has some pretty cool tractors and whatnot.

But a farm? That’s the one I’m struggling to understand. Who spends thousands of dollars on a vacation where one of the main attractions is getting on a bus to visit a farm?

IMG_0088%20-1-.jpg

and here:

and here:

And here:
Document

And here:
Photos-4294.JPG

And here:

And here:

I will admit that I have not been to the Figge and I am sure it's cool. And, I will say the river bend view from the Hytatt hotel bar/restaurant in East Moline is quite breathtaking and worth a visit. I also think it is cool just being down by the river in Davenport. As far as old timey shops, JD tractors, and a splash pad, I don't get it.

I get some of those things. I really do. And I don’t mean to pooh-pooh the Figge Art Museum. After all, next Thursday all teenagers dressed in anime costumes get in free. Good luck doing that at the Guggenheim or the Smithsonian. And John Deere Pavilion has some pretty cool tractors and whatnot.

But a farm? That’s the one I’m struggling to understand. Who spends thousands of dollars on a vacation where one of the main attractions is getting on a bus to visit a farm?
People from places like Chicago and New York and Philadelphia?

I think the phenomenon you are feeling is "familiarity breeds contempt."

Most of us here see and cross and are around the Mississippi River every day. I've been fishing down in LeClaire and seen families coming off I-80 go down to the waters edge and dip their toe in and express awe at seeing the "Mark Twain river!" in person.

I imagine people in Maine are like "whoo hoo, who wants to see another fricking lighthouse?!" but I love visiting them when I'm out there.

The River is a big damn deal. It's America's Amazon or Nile or Rhine.

Reactions: Pete in LA
If we could just fix the bad pizza we’d make it to elite tourist status
Sorry bud, these thousands of tourists are going to go home extolling the amazing regional pizza style they've recently discovered and will tell all their friends. I expect to see QC Style restaurants in every major American metro area within a decade. ;)

People from places like Chicago and New York and Philadelphia?

I think the phenomenon you are feeling is "familiarity breeds contempt."

Most of us here see and cross and are around the Mississippi River every day. I've been fishing down in LeClaire and seen families coming off I-80 go down to the waters edge and dip their toe in and express awe at seeing the "Mark Twain river!" in person.

I imagine people in Maine are like "whoo hoo, who wants to see another fricking lighthouse?!" but I love visiting them when I'm out there.

The River is a big damn deal. It's America's Amazon or Nile or Rhine.
He can respond for himself but I think he was critical of the appeal of a farm visit and not the river experience itself.

Reactions: TJ8869
He can respond for himself but I think he was critical of the appeal of a farm visit and not the river experience itself.
Well sure, but the same thing applies.

We've all been to farms. We drive by farms everyday. We know farmers. It's no big deal.

Now imagine you are a retired stockbroker from Manhattan and you and your wife decide to go check out the Heartland of America on a river boat cruise. You've never been on a farm. You've never been up close to gigantic farm equipment or big animals. You've seen Field of Dreams, maybe Bridges of Madison County.

If you're that guy, you don't think that might be a cool experience?

BTW - The Figge quite impressed the New York Times' architectural columnist:

Well sure, but the same thing applies.

We've all been to farms. We drive by farms everyday. We know farmers. It's no big deal.

Now imagine you are a retired stockbroker from Manhattan and you and your wife decide to go check out the Heartland of America on a river boat cruise. You've never been on a farm. You've never been up close to gigantic farm equipment or big animals. You've seen Field of Dreams, maybe Bridges of Madison County.

If you're that guy, you don't think that might be a cool experience?
If I'm from Manhattan and want to see farms, geographically, NY is mostly a rural state replete with farms.

Davenport is Iowa's front door, akin to a strong, nicely finished mahogany door on a house . Council Bluffs is Iowa's back door, akin to squeaky screen door off the back of a shanty made from a cheap scrap wood frame with holes in the screen that lets flies* in.

*Nebraskans

Reactions: torbee
If I'm from Manhattan and want to see farms, geographically, NY is mostly a rural state replete with farms.
OK, continue to miss my point.

The point is ON A VACATION, this might be a very interesting side-trip for SOME who are from major metro areas and don't get out into their area's rural hinterlands.

Are you being purposely obtuse or just an asshat?

Reactions: Tom Paris

The point is ON A VACATION, this might be a very interesting side-trip for SOME who are from major metro areas and don't get out into their area's rural hinterlands.

Wow someone is being a pissy bitch. If I have an interest in seeing a farm and there are plenty near where I live, that is not something I am doing on vacation for a side trip. If I was trying to maximize revenue streams from tourists on the mighty Mississippi that sounds like a loser to me but what do I know I could be wrong. Give us an update in a year or whatever on how the farm tour industry is going.

Last edited:
Wow someone is being a pissy bitch. If I have an interest in seeing a farm and there are plenty near where I live, that is not something I am doing on vacation for a side trip. If I was trying to maximize revenue streams from tourists on the mighty Mississippi that sounds like a loser to me but what do I know I could be wrong. Give us an update in a year or whatever on how the farm tour industry is going.
I already know that it is so popular, they have had to bring in an extra bus a few times.

And I honestly thought you were just being jerky on purpose.

Regarding the draw of the cruise, though Davenport is the premier city on the cruise, it's more about the cumulative effect of the cities on the experience of following Mark T's journey vs it being about one city or another. Each city has a unique contribution to the overall experience of the trip.

I already know that it is so popular, they have had to bring in an extra bus a few times.

And I honestly thought you were just being jerky on purpose.
Color me obtuse on the state of Davenport's farm tour industry, and you an asshole on the subject matter.

I don't have much of any interest in visiting Davenport as a tourist. Even thinking about Davenport as a tourist destination is kind of amusing. I do have a close friend there and think it's a fine place to hang out, DT area has some fun bars and restaurants, so I'm not against it, it's just not a destination. That said, a river boat cruise has potential.

Same reason you have to get a reservation for mediocre comfort food at The Iowa Machine Shed restaurant. Freaking place is always packed.
Appleton-Exterior.jpg

635743921397530008-f12xxbestbreakfast4cg.jpg

rfl_25348.jpg
When my wife and I were dating, her (farm) parents came to visit in Davenport. I had just proposed, and they were skeptical about giving away their only daughter to a "city kid" from the Dirty D.

I took them to The Machine Shed for dinner, and they called me Son from that night forward.

Here's a better way of putting it. If a person from the QCA takes a family trip to Africa, do they not go on safari to see the animals because they've seen a giraffe and lion back at Niabi Zoo? No, they go on safari to see and experience something that they can't get back home.

I'm guessing the visit isn't just a drive-by of some random farm, but to something set up to be an experience for the people visiting where they are either doing something or at least getting some education about the farm. And an Iowa/Midwest farm is a heck of a lot different from farms in other parts of the country or world. There's a reason the president of China lived in Muscatine for a short amount of time back in the 80s to learn about farming.

As for me, knowing what I know about the depressed river towns up and down the Mississippi and having grown up in one of those river towns, I wouldn't really be interested in the cruise. But people from the coasts or from Europe may be interested.

Also, where's the pic of Lagomarcino's, Moline location perferably, in the list of things to see in the QCA?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT