ADVERTISEMENT

Davenport: Tourist hotspot of Iowa

People from places like Chicago and New York and Philadelphia?

FWIW, my wife were staying in a midwestern B&B a few years back and another couple was also there while we were. We became acquainted via sitting at the same meal table with them a few times.

They were from the east coast, New York I think. They were both school teachers and would travel extensively during their summers. They were literally gaga over the prospect of visiting an Iowa farm and seeing cows up close. I laughed and laughed...until I realized that they were serious.

I guess if you are from the big city, you have possibly never been exposed to farm life and it can be a big deal for some. Who knew? I don't know how big that "market" is, but there are at least some folks in that camp.

Also, where's the pic of Lagomarcino's, Moline location perferably, in the list of things to see in the QCA?
Lacgomarcino-exterior.jpg

lagom3.jpg

Reactions: Hammer93
When my wife and I were dating, her (farm) parents came to visit in Davenport. I had just proposed, and they were skeptical about giving away their only daughter to a "city kid" from the Dirty D.

I took them to The Machine Shed for dinner, and they called me Son from that night forward.
Is the Machine Shed what you called your bedroom back in the day?*

*edited to note I am aware it is a restaurant serving mediocre food family style.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
Just wait until you get the bison bridge. Places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon won’t be able to compete.
I mean honestly if they wanted to sell something crazy they likely have not seen before (hell, I have not either) is to do a mississippi river version of deep sea fishing and pull some monster cat fish out of the river.

FWIW, my wife were staying in a midwestern B&B a few years back and another couple was also there while we were. We became acquainted via sitting at the same meal table with them a few times.

They were from the east coast, New York I think. They were both school teachers and would travel extensively during their summers. They were literally gaga over the prospect of visiting an Iowa farm and seeing cows up close. I laughed and laughed...until I realized that they were serious.

I guess if you are from the big city, you have possibly never been exposed to farm life and it can be a big deal for some. Who knew? I don't know how big that "market" is, but there are at least some folks in that camp.
Well sir, I don't get it, and it did not occur to me that other people would veer from the river experience to tour a farm. But proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Since September 12, 1981. I gotta be honest here - my feelings are a little hurt.
Well start f----ing acting like one! ;)

Shit-talking Iowa's premier river city isn't very Iowan of you, brosephino.

(I am beginning to realize I may be a little manic and fired up about my fishing trip and the game tonight.)

When in moline, a must stay is the Stoneycreek lodge. Only in the winter months though…the mildew smell is a little much in the summer

• Haha
Well start f----ing acting like one! ;)

Shit-talking Iowa's premier river city isn't very Iowan of you, brosephino.

(I am beginning to realize I may be a little manic and fired up about my fishing trip and the game tonight.)
I’m just helping you hone your marketing skills. And not shit-talking the Dirty D. Just not quite sure why people would spend money to take a bus trip to a farm.

Trump hat aside, I was being serious. If one is beguiled by the river to the point of taking an expensive vacation floating down it, they would probably get a kick out of having the chance to pull a river monster out of it.
You do realize that Torbee selected that pic so indirectly he can give you the finger (check out Trump hat dudes hand).

Two tourists attractions in the Quad Cities
which should be mentioned:

Rock Island Arsenal.......Black Hawk State Park
Both of these have good museums that are
worth exploring. These two sites make an
enjoyable day.

Reactions: ghost80
I’m just helping you hone your marketing skills. And not shit-talking the Dirty D. Just not quite sure why people would spend money to take a bus trip to a farm.
If Torbee is involved with marketing Davenport in a professional capacity, I would look into developing charter fishing side trips. Over the last few years we have spent well north of a grand deep sea fishing and didn't catch jack shit. I would think the odds of pulling SOMETHING out of the river would be pretty high and it would be pretty "Mark Twainy" in the minds of east coast tourists that they would enjoy.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
If Torbee is involved with marketing Davenport in a professional capacity, I would look into developing charter fishing side trips. Over the last few years we have spent well north of a grand deep sea fishing and didn't catch jack shit. I would think the odds of pulling SOMETHING out of the river would be pretty high and it would be pretty "Mark Twainy" in the minds of east coast tourists that they would enjoy.
I have literally NEVER been skunked river fishing. You will catch SOMETHING. Now, some days it may be a drum or carp or sheepshead or bullhead. But other days I can put you on nice walleye, catfish, smallmouth and largemouth bass and other quality fish.

But you would NOT walk away without a fish.

jimsheephead.jpg

I get some of those things. I really do. And I don’t mean to pooh-pooh the Figge Art Museum. After all, next Thursday all teenagers dressed in anime costumes get in free. Good luck doing that at the Guggenheim or the Smithsonian. And John Deere Pavilion has some pretty cool tractors and whatnot.

But a farm? That’s the one I’m struggling to understand. Who spends thousands of dollars on a vacation where one of the main attractions is getting on a bus to visit a farm?
Just for the record, one of the biggest attractions for the golfers who come to the JDC is getting to drive the tractors around with their kids. Not sure if people will get to do that or not but there is some really unbelievable technology that goes into farming these days that is absolutely fascinating, not to mention seeing the animals up close.

Reactions: Bro D and torbee
With a river boat tour?
Well that’s the part I am not getting. If I wanted the mark Twain experience I don’t associate it with a farm tour. You can do that anywhere. But then again if it stops in St. Louis I’m sure an AB tour is popular.

Davenport is Iowa's front door, akin to a strong, nicely finished mahogany door on a house . Council Bluffs is Iowa's back door, akin to squeaky screen door off the back of a shanty made from a cheap scrap wood frame with holes in the screen that lets flies* in.

*Nebraskans
If I understand this correctly….then last night I slammed it in your Mom’s Council Bluffs and then made sure to finish down her Davenport.

Two tourists attractions in the Quad Cities
which should be mentioned:

Rock Island Arsenal.......Black Hawk State Park
Both of these have good museums that are
worth exploring. These two sites make an
enjoyable day.
Toss in the Putnam Museum and their mummies.

Live in DSM and I'd trade both our hockey teams for the action in the QC.

EDIT...didn't realize the Mallards are out of business... shame....always found them more entertaining than the Bucs or Wild.

Reactions: LuteHawk

EDIT...didn't realize the Mallards are out of business... shame....always found them more entertaining than the Bucs or Wild.
The QC sports scene used to be hopping, and I'm not talking about their NBA or NFL teams.

All of the championships by the Mallards in the late 90s and early 00s along with a massive run of regular season winning. Back to back championships in the early 00s by the Steamwheelers including the only 19-0 season in professional football. The Thunder had two CBA championships in the 90s. And the River Bandits won a championship in 1990 and have been winning several championships in the last decade.

It is too bad that the River Bandits are the only one of those left, although the Steamwheelers are supposed to be coming back next year from COVID dormancy. I guess there's now a hockey team called the Storm that is unrelated to the Mallards.

Reactions: torbee and ghost80
Having effectively lived my entire life where I spent a lot of time in a small Iowa river town...you would be surprised the draw the Mississippi River is.

I'm heading to NE Iowa tomorrow morning, and will probably in some fashion visit the Marquette/McGregor area as well as Guttenberg. If it's anything like October last year, both cities will be bursting at the seams with tourists.

Granted, not like that all the time...but you'd be surprised how that river draws people in. And it ain't even leaf season yet...that's when all hell breaks loose in those parts.

Bike trail a longer river isn’t too bad. Ballpark is nice. Farmers market is well above average.

some fun places to eat.

Whiteys ice cream
Speaking of, how do they NOT serve Whitey's hand dipped ice cream in the ballpark. Very disappointed it was pre-packaged Whitey's treats and Dippin' Dots. Kernels have a Blue Bunny Shack with waffle cones, etc. Major fail for such a beautiful ballpark.

The franchise is still here, but they are now the Storm. Horrible mascot. Horrible uniforms. 🤮

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT