ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell explores dual-sport possibilities at Indiana

Apr 8, 2003
New update on four-star wide receiver David Bell from @Josh Helmholdt today with a couple interesting notes.

Bell, who led Warren Central to a state title in basketball this winter, has an opportunity to play football and basketball at Indiana now.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/david-bell-explores-dual-sport-possibilities-at-indiana

“First they showed me basketball because Coach (Archie) Miller said if I decided to go to IU I can play both sports if I choose to,” Bell said. “I am considering it, still thinking on it, talking with my mom and some of my coaches too.”

Bell generated some buzz earlier this spring when he hinted that a decision could come soon. The four-star prospect still has plenty to accomplish within his recruitment before selecting his college destination, however.

“I am planning on having my top five very soon,” he said. “I will probably just hold it out and commit after senior year is over.”

Seems like a lot to put on a plate right or wrong.Being both sports are so close together.

Seriously doubt Kirk would even consider entertaining a football/basketball double deal, right?
Probably not. There's almost no way either sport would get 100% out of the kid. The regular season may not overlap too much, but if your in a good bowl, or conference championship, your talking about football lasting until January. That doesn't even address all the off season work for both sports, and the higher level of stress on the body playing two major sports at the highest collegiate level. Not to mention the kid is supposed to be going to school full time as well. Not sure how CMac pulls off baseball and basketball, and this would be an even bigger challenge.

Seriously doubt Kirk would even consider entertaining a football/basketball double deal, right?
No, this is a move made out of desperation. It would be iffy on sports where the actual seasons don't overlap (workouts and the like are bad enough), let alone sports where the actual seasons overlap by 2 months.

Yeah. It's not high school any more. Pick one sport kid!!!! Seriously, that is a recipe for disaster in my book.

Good plan to be mediocre in two sports, and never reach your ceiling in either.

Probably not. There's almost no way either sport would get 100% out of the kid. The regular season may not overlap too much, but if your in a good bowl, or conference championship, your talking about football lasting until January. That doesn't even address all the off season work for both sports, and the higher level of stress on the body playing two major sports at the highest collegiate level. Not to mention the kid is supposed to be going to school full time as well. Not sure how CMac pulls off baseball and basketball, and this would be an even bigger challenge.
Connor made the Dean’s List as a Business major even with everything going on and missing so much class.

Connor made the Dean’s List as a Business major even with everything going on and missing so much class.
With his illness, and injury he also wasn't participating in the on the court work, practice, games, and I'm not sure he even traveled until later when he was starting to regain his strength, so he should have had extra time to concentrate on the books. I'm sure he missed some classes, but he's a smart kid and I'm sure that his parents saw to it he had whatever assistance was needed to keep up on what he missed.

It can be done. not gonna knock the kid or school for letting him explore the opportunity to be a dual college athlete.. I’m sure he knows it won’t be a cake walk as much worth the end results in life won’t. Good luck to kid if he does both, few have excelled specially with football & basketball..

Last edited:
It can be done. not gonna knock the kid or school for letting him explore the opportunity to be a dual college athlete.. I’m sure he knows it won’t be a cake walk as much worth the end results in life won’t. Good luck to kid if he does both, few have excelled specially with football & basketball..

It can most certainly be done. I don't know the kid or his skills (obviously good at both). I think the question relates to goals. Does a kid want to be a college anomaly and play two sports well? Does he want to be a pro someday? If he's not a Tony Gwynn, Dave Winfield, etc. type of talent where you can kinda "just show up" and be one of the best in the country (and he probably is), I would think you would want to focus on one that develops you as student and athlete for your future (hint: Iowa!).

Only Deion and Bo have truly excelled at both professionally; you're gonna have to choose eventually.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
Tony Gonzalez and Julius Pepper disagree.

Give him the opportunity since it’s only one scholarship that is paying for his schooling if he wants to try it. If it doesn’t work out, he can drop b-ball since football is the main sport he is being recruited for. Plus another reason to go to Iowa.

You mean like Russell Wilson who was a fourth round baseball draft pick and played 2-3 years as a pro?

Yes, we should totally compare this kid to Russell Wilson, Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson. That is the most likely outcome.

Didn’t Brian Jordan play baseball for the Cardinals and defensive back for the Falcons. I think this was before Dion. Not sure.

Yes, we should totally compare this kid to Russell Wilson, Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson. That is the most likely outcome.

I think the thought was "nobody can do this". The point of my post was to say it certainly can and has been done, but - as you may have missed - my point is "no one" compares to those two. Brian Jordan at least was above average at 2 but neither he nor Russell Wilson (who is marginally better than say even Johnny Manziel in these terms) compare. Again my post was focused on his goal. It's not worth 2 sports unless you're truly elite at both in my opinion, but his is what matters.

Gene Connley played in the World Series and won NBA championships. Bo played fb and baseball. I expect there are exceptional athletes every generation who are capable of doing amazing things. If this is his desire I'd guess he's explored these options with everyone.

Conley won those championships 57 years ago. Times have changed.

Thank you for pointing out all the exceptions. But the most likely outcome of a two-sport athlete is not reaching his ceiling in either sport.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Pretty sure Antwaan Randle El managed to do alright playing football, basketball and baseball while in college. Eventually had a pretty long nfl career. Wonder if anyone ever told him to choose one sport while he was in college.

Last edited:
Reactions: TKingpin
It can most certainly be done. I don't know the kid or his skills (obviously good at both). I think the question relates to goals. Does a kid want to be a college anomaly and play two sports well? Does he want to be a pro someday? If he's not a Tony Gwynn, Dave Winfield, etc. type of talent where you can kinda "just show up" and be one of the best in the country (and he probably is), I would think you would want to focus on one that develops you as student and athlete for your future (hint: Iowa!).

Only Deion and Bo have truly excelled at both professionally; you're gonna have to choose eventually.
Deion is more of an example of why its more of a waste. Yes, I know he played several years with the Reds, but he was more of a sideshow then a major star. I remember baseball announcers wondering often just how good a hitter he might have been had he actually devoted his time to that sport. Maybe he could have been a Rod Carew or Ichiro type player, who could just slap the ball into play, and beat damn near anything out to first base. Instead he was a marginal hitter at best. As a Royals fan I have to wonder what might have been if Bo, had not spent his down time with the Raiders? Visions of Willie Mays flash before my eyes. Young Mr. Bell can certainly do as he wishes, but for anyone to think he'll reach his full potencial in either sport trying to do that today, I'd have to be doubtful at best.

You beat me to it Marcus. I was going to say that Randle El did it, for Indiana coincidently. I know it was early in KF’s tenure here, so it wasn’t really that long ago.

Randle El had 12 college at bats in one season. One hit.

He appeared in 11 basketball games (one season) and scored 16 points.

Randle El had 12 college at bats in one season. One hit.

He appeared in 11 basketball games (one season) and scored 16 points.

So because he didn’t play much you’re saying he wasn’t on the team? I’m guessing he still went through most of the practices and game prep for basketball but perhaps wasn’t good enough to play more.

The only guy who truly made two sports work concurrently in the modern era is Charlie Ward (at least the only guy comes to mind). Basketball was his priority sport for two seasons and then football was for two seasons. He didn't join the basketball team until after bowls those last two years. Heisman trophy in football, and an NBA career. Not too shabby.

The question is not IF a player CAN play two sports in college. The question is does the results on the field/court warrant a player giving less than 100% of his time to multiple sports versus focusing on excellence in a single sport.

Then you ask if playing both sports at Indiana is better than focusing on one sport at a higher profile school.

So because he didn’t play much you’re saying he wasn’t on the team? I’m guessing he still went through most of the practices and game prep for basketball but perhaps wasn’t good enough to play more.

I'm pointing out that his time in basketball and baseball were minimal. One season of each. Yes, I'm guessing he went to most of the practices and game prep, the same as any other bench player.

But for a guy like Randle El, that time may have been better spent by dedicating to football. He had a good NFL career, maybe he could have been great.

Then again, he now regrets the NFL career due to health issues:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...antwaan-randle-el-wishes-chosen-play-football

Antwaan Randle El says he regrets playing football, in part because the 36-year-old now has difficulty walking down the stairs.

"I have to come down sideways sometimes, depending on the day," Randle El said in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story on former Steelers Super Bowl winners. "Going up is easier actually than coming down."

Jon Beutjer killed it as a basketball/football player at Iowa...or was he nearly killed? I can’t remember.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT