ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell, NFL Combine numbers…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
Ran a 4.65 and had very pedestrian broad jump and vertical times. I bring it up only because it’s interesting, not to torment David as he is still a stud… probably hurts his draft stock but I predict he willstill go on and kick ass much like Connor Kupp who ran a very pedestrian 40 time as well.

This board is famous for saying things like we need faster wide receivers…no what we need is wide receivers that know how to run routes, drop into the zone and catch the damn ball!

Ran a 4.65 and had very pedestrian broad jump and vertical times. I bring it up only because it’s interesting, not to torment David as he is still a stud… probably hurts his draft stock but I predict he willstill go on and kick ass much like Connor Kupp who ran a very pedestrian 40 time as well.

This board is famous for saying things like we need faster wide receivers…no what we need is wide receivers that know how to run routes, drop into the zone and catch the damn ball!
Well and it helps that Brohm has a great game plan for attacking Iowa’s defense specifically. Bell mentioned this in an interview the other day. Very specific plays drawn up and called to take advantage of areas of weakness in the Iowa D and coaching turnWRs where to be.
but yeah he is a great route runner and has great hands. Jerry Rice wasn’t a burner either.

Well and it helps that Brohm has a great game plan for attacking Iowa’s defense specifically. Bell mentioned this in an interview the other day. Very specific plays drawn up and called to take advantage of areas of weakness in the Iowa D and coaching turnWRs where to be.
but yeah he is a great route runner and has great hands. Jerry Rice wasn’t a burner either.

Its always so interesting to hear that from players of other teams and yet then said teams go on and can only score 13 points against 4 other teams on their schedule And other teams struggle against us…

There are so many dynamics to coaching sports…

Prediction if Purdue lights us up for 25-30 plus points again next year these guys that are so routinely against BF & the offense and so high on Phil Parker will light him up!!

Infamous, I don't think we're famous yet... Maybe Blair at the right place in Iowa City.

Reactions: cmhawks99

I think the Hawks need wide receivers that get open and always catch the ball. That's what David Bell does and he had a QB in O'Connell that could get him the ball. It's not all about speed.

I knew he was going to be awesome so I followed his every step there........lol
Came out the same year as Kittle and King. He was behind both of them at the combine.

I believe he ran in the 4.61/4.63 range but he was an absolute stud @ Eastern Washington you should watch his YouTube videos

Yes it is strange. If it was easy to attack Iowa's defense like Purdue does, one would think that everyone would do it. But they don't/can't. There is really no easy explanation other than some teams are good/bad matchups for others.

I’ve been saying this for years. We have plenty of speed at the wr position. In addition, if you watch a full day of college football, you see many wr’s of different skill levels getting wide open. It is our passing scheme and it is not even questionable. The fact our coaches can’t see this boggles my mind and I readily admit they know 10x more than I know about football. Our crossing routes we like to run are about 3 yards beyond the LOS. We tend to avoid throwing the mid level crossing routes which allow people to get open much easier in zone and also in man coverage.

Last edited:

Jerry Rice never ran faster then a 4.6 40, I think he turned out to be a competent receiver. :)

Jerry Rice never ran faster then a 4.6 40, I think he turned out to be a competent receiver. :)
See that’s the thing; not only did he turn into a competent wide receiver. I don’t ever remember seeing him caught from behind. So that’s the extra element to the 40 yard dash time, not only is it relatively insignificant in most case. But it’s also not indicative of how fast somebody really is on the field.

Iowa fans also thought James Hardy would be a monster in NFL, but he wasn't. It's hard to predict

harry-potter-dont-speak-his-name.gif

See that’s the thing; not only did he turn into a competent wide receiver. I don’t ever remember seeing him caught from behind. So that’s the extra element to the 40 yard dash time, not only is it relatively insignificant in most case. But it’s also not indicative of how fast somebody really is on the field.
I remember as a freshman in high school, a fellow 5'5 130lb freshman classmate of mine ran a varsity kickoff back for a TD. I had never seen that kid move that fast. After we got off the field, He looked at me square in the eyes and said "I was scared to death". So, my guess is that was the fastest 40 time he ever ran. LOL

Reactions: cmhawks99
How did Goodson do today? I see Linderbaum is out with his foot injury still healing up.

They talked about this on Dan Patrick show with Cooper Kupp. Bad 40 but really great shuttle and 3 cone drill. No clue how Bell did on those things but for some WR it is maybe a better indicator how they do on those drills.

Reactions: HFan1981
ADVERTISEMENT