ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell

“I hadn’t been to a game there since I was a sophomore so to see the game environment again was special,” he said. “It is always a rocking environment in Iowa City.”

Hopefully a better environment than the upcoming Penn St game. (thanks for the correction WorldSeries.....)

Last edited:
“I hadn’t been to a game there since I was a sophomore so to see the game environment again was special,” he said. “It is always a rocking environment in Iowa City.”

Hopefully a better environment than the upcoming Ohio St game.
I've said it before, but I really don't think atmosphere is a big selling point with Bell. How he will be utilized in the offense is. That is why Purdue and Indiana are in contention, with some thinking Purdue to be the favorite at this point.

Hopefully a better environment than the upcoming Ohio St game.
he then went on to say ann arbor was "pretty good" for the OSU game(last year I assume).

still don't think we have much a chance though....

I've said it before, but I really don't think atmosphere is a big selling point with Bell. How he will be utilized in the offense is. That is why Purdue and Indiana are in contention, with some thinking Purdue to be the favorite at this point.
To a certain extent I agree......I can't see it helping vs osu/psu etc. BUT against pu....maybe! I haven't watched them much this year, are they filling half the stadium this year?

giphy.gif

Is Bell coming to Iowa?

Wisconsin game wasn't a good game for him to watch. We probably have two of the top 5 TE's in the country with Fant being #1 and what we showed against Wisconsin is even when we have mismatches lined up out there in the passing game we will still go with a run game that has been inconsistent when It matters most over all american type TE's that have 1 on 1 coverage.

Wisconsin game wasn't a good game for him to watch. We probably have two of the top 5 TE's in the country with Fant being #1 and what we showed against Wisconsin is even when we have mismatches lined up out there in the passing game we will still go with a run game that has been inconsistent when It matters most over all american type TE's that have 1 on 1 coverage.
If I were recruiting him, I would say that we currently are throwing deep to tight ends. When you become a Hawkeye, we will be throwing deep to you instead.

Reactions: LUC8
Lots of negative nellies on this site. I think we have a good chance to land Bell.
I think he would be making a great choice if he comes to Iowa. He would probably be the best WR we would have so he would have immediate opportunity to play. He would be playing in a Pro system, so he would be taught to block as well as catch passes, which the NFL would covet. However, he is a WR, and the great WR's tend to choose spread teams, the same as Gun Slinger QB's. So, I think he will give Iowa a fair look, but in the end will choose a spread team. Also, he is not choosing till January, so who knows, maybe we don't have a spot open for him by then.

I think he would be making a great choice if he comes to Iowa. He would probably be the best WR we would have so he would have immediate opportunity to play. He would be playing in a Pro system, so he would be taught to block as well as catch passes, which the NFL would covet. However, he is a WR, and the great WR's tend to choose spread teams, the same as Gun Slinger QB's. So, I think he will give Iowa a fair look, but in the end will choose a spread team. Also, he is not choosing till January, so who knows, maybe we don't have a spot open for him by then.
We'll take him no matter what unless he pretty much cuts us before then

Reactions: IAHawk2011
As we know, he's said already that he wants to see Iowa utilize the wide receivers more. Well, if we had an elite receiver, that would definitely become something that Ferentz and Co. pushed for. McNutt and DJK were special talents at Iowa. And they got the ball thrown their way a ton. I just hope Bell realizes that he could be a star here just like at Purdue. Even with the differences in our offense.

he then went on to say ann arbor was "pretty good" for the OSU game(last year I assume).

still don't think we have much a chance though....

I was at the OSU-UM game last year, and the UM-Notre Dame game this year (as well as the Wisconsin game last week). I can confirm that a big time night game at Kinnick (I.e. last Saturday vs. Wisconsin) blows both of those atmospheres out of the water.

Iowa is 31-2 in the last 33 games it has rushed for over 100 yards including the loss to Wisconsin. They averaged 4.8 ypc including Martin and Young over 5.0 ypc. The passed for 250+ yards and 2 tds with ISM averaging 19.0 yards and Hockenson averaging 41 yards which could easily be a WR if they had one like Bell. I got to believe Fant is still hurt from the UNI game with his limited opportunities.

If he was on this year’s team and was split wide against Wisconsin with single press coverage like we saw he would have had a huge game.

To me it is a no brainer.....you start day one, you are the program changer, and the ability to become a Legend for Hawkeye Land

You never know. If you look at Brents ... he's from the same high school and is now potentially poised to start vs Minnesota if Hankins isn't ready to go. Furthermore, Bell can look at how good Iowa is with Justin Britt ... despite Britt's ACL injury. And you can bet that Britt has been a little birdie in Bell's ear ... advocating for the Hawks.

The Hawks are still likely a long shot .... but there's still a chance!

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
I'm not going to rehash the whole "star" ratings which commercial recruiting services utilize to evaluate high school players, but I'm beginning to think that Iowa may already have a player of Bell's talent and potential in Tyrone Tracy.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
I'm not going to rehash the whole "star" ratings which commercial recruiting services utilize to evaluate high school players, but I'm beginning to think that Iowa may already have a player of Bell's talent and potential in Tyrone Tracy.

Agreed. And.....the only way to get a guy like Bell is to have a guy like Tracy flourish in our offense.

Never hurts to have multiples.

I think Penn St is the real threat for Bell. OSU is pretty full at WR... so that knocks them down a notch. Purdue is obviously still up there. But PSU is in a good spot and has a Bell coming in for a white out game against OSU this weekend. That will be pretty impressive to Bell probably.

I do like that Bell scheduled his official close to his decision date. I would say that if he goes through with the actual visit in December then he commits to the Hawks.

Bell is probably watching closely on how Purdue is utilizing Rondale Moore.

QB Blough may have solidified the starting position for the rest of the season. However, Blough will be gone after this season. QB Sindelar, back up for now has a bigger arm and will mostly be the starter next season. Bell may find that attractive alongside with Moore being deep threats together.

QB Blough may have solidified the starting position for the rest of the season. However, Blough will be gone after this season. QB Sindelar, back up for now has a bigger arm and will mostly be the starter next season. Bell may find that attractive alongside with Moore being deep threats together.
I may be mistaken, but Moore and Bell do not seem like players that would be utilized in a similar fashion?

If be paired with a great player is your point, then OSU and PSU are always going to be a better option.

Good luck this weekend.

With all due respect, Purdue's backup quarterback isn't anywhere close to a deciding factor in his recruitment. It's quality of roster (Iowa has that), coaching stability (Iowa has that), position coach fit (I can't answer that), offensive style (Iowa hasn't had that). Brents is choosing a program with winning tradition (both short and long term eliminates Indiana and Purdue) and consistently throw the ball around (eliminates Iowa). And Dwayne Haskins is dang good.

From an Iowa perspective - Iowa has thrown the ball in the past when they have talented receivers. The biggest problem right now is they hired Bobby Kennedy who couldn't coach or recruit and left the WR room in a situation where Iowa relies on guys in their 1st and 2nd year in the program. It's pretty clear Smith, Smith-Marsette, Cooper, and even Easley don't always know what's going on and it's not all their fault - Adrian Falconer, Jerminic Smith, Devonte Young, Emmanuel Ogwo, Jay Scheel are the guys who would be upperclassmen and all flamed out.

Purdue is attractive because they're close to home for Bell.

I think Penn St is the real threat for Bell. OSU is pretty full at WR... so that knocks them down a notch. Purdue is obviously still up there. But PSU is in a good spot and has a Bell coming in for a white out game against OSU this weekend. That will be pretty impressive to Bell probably.

I do like that Bell scheduled his official close to his decision date. I would say that if he goes through with the actual visit in December then he commits to the Hawks.
Once he attends the white out in Happy Valley, I think Kinnick atmosphere from last week will be negated. Then he will be at the shoe to see OSU play Michigan. I would think Ross Ade would have the least impressive environment except a high powered Purdue offense against Iowa could be double whammy for us.

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
I may be mistaken, but Moore and Bell do not seem like players that would be utilized in a similar fashion?

If be paired with a great player is your point, then OSU and PSU are always going to be a better option.

Good luck this weekend.
They definitely aren’t similar players but Purdue can show bell “hey look at this true freshman that just came in and look at how big of a weapon he is. We can do the same thing with your skill set and get you can make a bigger immediate impact here than at OSU or PSU.

They definitely aren’t similar players but Purdue can show bell “hey look at this true freshman that just came in and look at how big of a weapon he is. We can do the same thing with your skill set and get you can make a bigger immediate impact here than at OSU or PSU.
Yep. And Iowa can say, “Hey if we had a guy like you, this is what we could do...”

There is an angle for everybody.

ADVERTISEMENT