ADVERTISEMENT

DB talk

jerbob36

HR All-State
Dec 16, 2012
Just trying to throw another topic out there.

CB -- Moss obviously has a corner spot locked up all year. On the other side, it's Terry Roberts or Jermari Harris. Roberts will have Week 1 due to Harris being suspended. What about Week 2? Harris flashed strong at times last year, as did Roberts. Any chance Phil tries to rotate to keep them happy?

Safety -- Merriweather has the SS locked up. Does Schulte have the FS? Will X get any run as the season progresses? Castro still not breaking through? Will anybody get moved to WR to supplement depth?

I have full faith Phil will have his best on the field and not be concerned about keeping people happy. There are plenty of talented people in the room that want to play, but spots are limited.

Reactions: jerbob36
I am hoping to see Cooper DeJean (though I gather he might be the CASH) and am definitely excited to see X as soon as possible. I suspect we will see both quite a bit this season

Just trying to throw another topic out there.

CB -- Moss obviously has a corner spot locked up all year. On the other side, it's Terry Roberts or Jermari Harris. Roberts will have Week 1 due to Harris being suspended. What about Week 2? Harris flashed strong at times last year, as did Roberts. Any chance Phil tries to rotate to keep them happy?

Safety -- Merriweather has the SS locked up. Does Schulte have the FS? Will X get any run as the season progresses? Castro still not breaking through? Will anybody get moved to WR to supplement depth?
I read recently that they will have X playing ss, fs and some cash. I don't remember where I read that but it was pretty recent.

Harris has shown good play at CB. Roberts hasn't had the opportunity, but has shined on special teams. Either guy seems like a good option.

Cooper DeJean is the cash, so he will be playing against certain teams. But I'm not looking forward to Jacobs leaving the field...

Reactions: JStandefer
The theme should be injuries occur so be ready to step on the field if you are a defensive back with the amount of talent Iowa has at the present time to keep all players engaged and ready to go the next play.

Having a true frosh prepping for 3 different positions?
Doubtful
You don't think they tried him at 3 different positions in spring ball? I am not sure there is a huge difference between the responsibilities of our 2 safeties.

Although we seem flush with talented safeties and backers, is anyone else thinking that our depth at corner is more suspect? It seemed last year that things got a little dicey after Moss got injured. Tell me why my concerns are unfounded.

Although we seem flush with talented safeties and backers, is anyone else thinking that our depth at corner is more suspect? It seemed last year that things got a little dicey after Moss got injured. Tell me why my concerns are unfounded.
2 words - Phil Parker.

Last year it was Moss injured and then Roberts too, so Harris was thrust in and did well. Sounded like Cooper was CB5 if it had to come to that.

With 3 high caliber CBs we may seen more true nickel than the cash/heavy nickel. Does that slide Cooper back to centerfield and take Schulte out?

With experience possibly, but we have sophs Deasfernandes, and Lawson in reserve, and Freshman TJ Hall and Entringer. Seems to be alot of vibe that Hall will play this year. Xman is athletic enough to get some run at CB as well...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT