ADVERTISEMENT

Dealing with Ego’s

Longgrover1

Team MVP
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2018
A program like Duke gets a lot of 5 star recruits. All of these guys were the stars of their high school teams. Everything was run through them. When you have to share that spotlight with other stars it is an adjustment for many. You have to have people accept their roles and put their ego’s aside. Often times a team of good players that play hard as a team can defeat a team full of stars that are trying to find their identity.

A program like Duke gets a lot of 5 star recruits. All of these guys were the stars of their high school teams. Everything was run through them. When you have to share that spotlight with other stars it is an adjustment for many. You have to have people accept their roles and put their ego’s aside. Often times a team of good players that play hard as a team can defeat a team full of stars that are trying to find their identity.
Seems to work pretty well for Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc,

Fran does a good job at that. Mainly, he recruits high character guys. Look at Joe last year.

Maybe if feelings get hurt, a nice meal of Eggos will smooth things over. Lots of butter and syrup

If I had to choose between a recruiting class of five 3 star kids that are humble and five 5 star kids that have some amount of ego, I'm choosing the 5 stars every day of the week. Maybe it crashes and burns like has happened to Kentucky in the past, but I'd rather roll the dice on them gelling together over hoping that many of the 3 stars play above their recruiting grade.

f21.jpg

I would guess most of the Iowa players were the stars on their team in high school too.

ADVERTISEMENT