ADVERTISEMENT

Dean Oliver

But in response to the original post , the very fact that a coach would be needed to be brought in to teach or to get the existing team to play defense is grounds for termination of the existing staff and I truly believe after the lack of fundamentals and effort this year at the defensive end a coaching search should be getting started, that isn't even taking into account Frans total FUBAR roster construction

If you want a coach then you have to give some money to a guy in the mold of Greg Martin. You just have to. Find a guy that is killing it in a smaller conference and get him here. No not a Lick type guy with like 3 years experience. A guy like Martin.

That said I take Oliver as an assistant and why the hell not.

So we moved on from trying to get BJ Armstrong to come and coach? Aren't we supposed to go after Andre Woolridge first and then Deano? I'm guessing Jeff Horner will have his name listed soon as we work our way through our best PGs of the last 30 years.

Basketball isn't like wrestling where former elite athletes make pretty good coaches. Sometimes they do, but often the best coaches are guys that weren't the best athletes, but were smart players at smaller schools. Having said that, Deano may end up being a good coach, but he hasn't proven anything yet. If we do hire him and we're wrong, it could put us back to the level that Lick had us at. No recruit alive or in the future remembers when Iowa was a fairly regular participant in the tourney. We can't risk a coaching hire setting us back another half decade. Plus, Barta has already had two chances at hiring a head basketball coach. I don't think that he should get a third.

It's too bad that Don Nelson is too old now, because I would have thrown a dump truck of money at him back when we hired Lick to get him to coach us for a few years before handing the program over to an assistant in waiting. Maybe Donnie wants to be a college head coach instead of an NBA GM. Yeah, that's probably not going to happen.

So we moved on from trying to get BJ Armstrong to come and coach? Aren't we supposed to go after Andre Woolridge first and then Deano? I'm guessing Jeff Horner will have his name listed soon as we work our way through our best PGs of the last 30 years.

Basketball isn't like wrestling where former elite athletes make pretty good coaches. Sometimes they do, but often the best coaches are guys that weren't the best athletes, but were smart players at smaller schools. Having said that, Deano may end up being a good coach, but he hasn't proven anything yet. If we do hire him and we're wrong, it could put us back to the level that Lick had us at. No recruit alive or in the future remembers when Iowa was a fairly regular participant in the tourney. We can't risk a coaching hire setting us back another half decade. Plus, Barta has already had two chances at hiring a head basketball coach. I don't think that he should get a third.

It's too bad that Don Nelson is too old now, because I would have thrown a dump truck of money at him back when we hired Lick to get him to coach us for a few years before handing the program over to an assistant in waiting. Maybe Donnie wants to be a college head coach instead of an NBA GM. Yeah, that's probably not going to happen.
This team might be worse than the Lick teams. It is more talented, but may be worse coached.

Another note on Oliver, he coached Paris Lee at Illinois State (PG) that went on to win MVC player of the year and MVC defensive player of the year, and I’m guessing Oliver had quite an influence on his development. Again, not calling for him to be head coach, just think that if anything happens it will be with assistants (ex: Speraw retiring a la Greg Davis) and he would be a guy I would want Fran to go after. Also doesn’t hurt that he has a great relationship with Carton, wouldn’t guarantee a commitment but I think it would push Iowa to the clear favorite.

I like the Dean Oliver idea. Need a new AD, too. The entire athletic department is stale. Tired.

Sir, you couldn't be more accurate. Just about everything about Iowa's mens athletics is as stale as last month's loaf of bread. There needs to be a house cleaning, starting with Mr. Barta. Wrestling seems to be coming back, and Heller has revived baseball. Other than that, it's the same old same old.

Iowa needs someone to breathe new life into Herky's aging carcass. It's long, long overdue.

It's not really the same scenario. Hoiberg was in a NBA front office, had NBA experience, and Iowa State showed a real willingness to recruit guys with red flags. Iowa won't do that. Plus, Hoiberg was smart enough to jump on the transfer train before it became popular. There's no real angle like that for Oliver to exploit.

It’s rediculous to say Iowa would not do that. Iowa does not recruit. The head coach recruits. You never know who they will risk it with. See Pierre pierce and that guy who Fran recruited that did prison time.

No coach is high and mighty when 3 million a year is on the line.

I know it’s been discussed here before, but Dean Oliver is an assistant at Wisconsin this year and is very close with DJ Carton. I think this offseason Iowa is much more likely to change some assistants than go with a new head coach, and if that’s the case Dean would be my first choice to replace an assistant. We need an assistant that will teach team and individual defense, and I think he would be great for that. It would also make our chances with Carton much better than what they already are. Just my two cents.
How about Kevin Gamble?

Sir, you couldn't be more accurate. Just about everything about Iowa's mens athletics is as stale as last month's loaf of bread. There needs to be a house cleaning, starting with Mr. Barta. Wrestling seems to be coming back, and Heller has revived baseball. Other than that, it's the same old same old.

Iowa needs someone to breathe new life into Herky's aging carcass. It's long, long overdue.
Kevin gamble coaching.Tough Hawk no.But Dean sounds waay cool.

Consider this: If Iowa had NO coaches this year, would they be any worse than they are?

A pick-up team at the Y plays harder, communicates better, and demonstrates a better basketball IQ than these Hawkeyes.

Reactions: Mcbooger
If Dean were to be offered the head coach position at the end of the season, he would be crazy not to accept it. I am not sure he would hop down to IC as an assistant. He and his wife seem comfortable where they are.
Also, who is to say that Dean doesn't have a bright future at Wisconsin?

Fran won't get rid of any assistants. That would be a big hit to his ego, and he couldnt deal with that.

If Illinois is the only win on the Big 10 schedule then he may not have a choice if he wants to keep his job. Somebody from the management team is going to have take responsibility (fairly or not).

Reactions: Mcbooger
I grew up in the 80's we had BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Kevin Gamble and seemed to be in the tourney every year. Football was at or near the top when we had Chuck Long Larry Station and Ronnie Harmon. wrestling won national championships every year. Damn I wish we go back to those days

Reactions: Kurt Warner
It's like when people thought BJ Armstrong should be our head coach ... I don't care if a coach played here or not ... I want someone who can recruit and coach ... Pretty simple ...
I agree with you on Dean Oliver at this point in time Rusty. Down the road maybe, but not at this point in time. I actually like Fran and have thought he's done a decent job up until now. I'm not as knowledgeable about basketball as I am football and have no idea if anyone is in charge of solely team defense or if they all are as a collective? Either way, something has to change... Should Fran be fired? I don't think so at this point in time, however, the defense needs to be addressed in the upcoming offseason. If it's a complete crash and burn like this year seems to be then I would think/hope the heat turns up quite a bit. I remember being a kid during the Lickliter years and this season has seemed as bad as some of those. Then again, that was many years ago and my memory could well be flawed.

I grew up in the 80's we had BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Kevin Gamble and seemed to be in the tourney every year. Football was at or near the top when we had Chuck Long Larry Station and Ronnie Harmon. wrestling won national championships every year. Damn I wish we go back to those days
You can go back! The Way Back Machine is available at most retailers now!

ADVERTISEMENT