ADVERTISEMENT

Dear C. Vivian Stringer

Vivian is a class act and we were fortunate to have her at the University of Iowa for a time.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I am not sure why any Iowa fan would think anything other than she was great coach and person, but my observation is outside looking in, so.....

I am not sure why any Iowa fan would think anything other than she was great coach and person, but my observation is outside looking in, so.....

CVS is a class act & is a well deserved HOF WBB coach.....BUT....she signed a 5 year contract extension last year then went out on a fully paid LOA within 1 week of signing the contract. She remains on that LOA (over a year if you are doing the math) and won't be back before her official retirement date of September 1, at which time she will get another $900k.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
CVS is a class act & is a well deserved HOF WBB coach.....BUT....she signed a 5 year contract extension last year then went out on a fully paid LOA within 1 week of signing the contract. She remains on that LOA (over a year if you are doing the math) and won't be back before her official retirement date of September 1, at which time she will get another $900k.
Does that upset you?

Does that upset you?
It should upset everyone at Rugters. She should have retired last year instead of signing an extension. She cost the university money, while at the same time hurting the team by putting recruiting in limbo.

I like Stringer but her on the court results have been in decline for a few seasons. Despite her legendary career, she probably should have stepped down sooner. The Rutger's program is in shambles at the moment and may take a few years to rebuild. I don't expect Rutgers to be competitive next season.

It should upset everyone at Rugters. She should have retired last year instead of signing an extension. She cost the university money, while at the same time hurting the team by putting recruiting in limbo.

I like Stringer but her on the court results have been in decline for a few seasons. Despite her legendary career, she probably should have stepped down sooner. The Rutger's program is in shambles at the moment and may take a few years to rebuild. I don't expect Rutgers to be competitive next season.

Perfectly said.

Reactions: amahawk

She once loaned a former player $25,000 at 18% interest and then when the player was struggling to pay it back sued the individual and tried to force her restaurant to close.

When her husband was going to be disciplined by the U of Iowa for being an absentee employee she went to the AD and said if that happened she would leave…then forced them to continue to pay him even though he did very few of his duties.

Sued the doctors who cared for her husband and blamed them for his heart attack.

Tried to deny that her son was involved in a murder even though he pretty much admitted his role in court (he was not the one who pulled the trigger, but he was part of the group that broke into the apt that resulted in the killing) and threatened to sue a journalist who reported the facts accurately.

ABC paid her to help try and help squash a lawsuit that one of her Rutgers players was bringing against Don Imus for his comments about their team.

Has pretty much held the Rutgers hostage over the last year or so as the posters above have pointed out.

But, she won games and that is all that matters to some.

The fact that she signed an extension & immediately went on & remains on LOA & hasn't been involved with the WBB program for over a year yet collects an extremely generous salary? Yea. That upsets me a bit.

Not sure if you've heard about this, but there was this thing called covid-19. It hit the entire world and the east coast of the USA got it pretty bad.

And it affects/affected the elderly much worse, putting them at a higher risk of death.

Coach Stringer is 74.

When Coach Stringer and Rutgers signed the contract extension, both sides were aware that she would be annoucing her leave.

Reactions: BBHawk
Yeah that payout sounds sort of sketchy, but....

She once loaned a former player $25,000 at 18% interest and then when the player was struggling to pay it back sued the individual and tried to force her restaurant to close.

When her husband was going to be disciplined by the U of Iowa for being an absentee employee she went to the AD and said if that happened she would leave…then forced them to continue to pay him even though he did very few of his duties.

Sued the doctors who cared for her husband and blamed them for his heart attack.

Tried to deny that her son was involved in a murder even though he pretty much admitted his role in court (he was not the one who pulled the trigger, but he was part of the group that broke into the apt that resulted in the killing) and threatened to sue a journalist who reported the facts accurately.

ABC paid her to help try and help squash a lawsuit that one of her Rutgers players was bringing against Don Imus for his comments about their team.

Has pretty much held the Rutgers hostage over the last year or so as the posters above have pointed out.

But, she won games and that is all that matters to some.
ugh, maybe more to the story than most of us know

I worked her first five years of BB Camps at Iowa then took a couple of years off for work on advanced degree, and came back and worked two more years. I watched her work with kids, converse with our group of coaches and spent time with her one on one. From my experience, she was is one of the finest persons that I have ever met. I know nothing of her career beyond Iowa that I experienced. Based on my experiences with Coach Stringer, She is one of the best who ever coached the game.

Lay off dude. You don't know all the particulars between Vivian and Rutgers in what's transpired in the past year and instead just making assumptions as if you do.

Lay off dude. You don't know all the particulars between Vivian and Rutgers in what's transpired in the past year and instead just making assumptions as if you do.
"Dude", @MrsScrew has been nothing but class since SHE'S been posting on here, and simply offered her opinion--something we all do as soon as we hit our first letters on the keyboard. Nothing SHE said was incorrect, nor assumptive.

"Dude", @MrsScrew has been nothing but class since SHE'S been posting on here, and simply offered her opinion--something we all do as soon as we hit our first letters on the keyboard. Nothing SHE said was incorrect, nor assumptive.
Nothing said was assumptive? My entire point in reply was none of us, you, nor me, or that poster, know the "particulars" worked out between Vivian and Rutgers pertaining to her leave (the dates involved, etc) or the compensation she's received or will receive.

Nothing said was assumptive? My entire point in reply was none of us, you, nor me, or that poster, know the "particulars" worked out between Vivian and Rutgers pertaining to her leave (the dates involved, etc) or the compensation she's received or will receive.

OK. I exaggerated. She's not getting $900k in September, she's getting $872k as reported in the NJ press. Her LOAwas also extremely mysterious in nature &,it was reported, that as a state employee (aka my tax dollars) she was taking a fully paid leave based on unused sick time.
No one is questioning her coaching abilities, although as others here & in the Rutgers board have pointed out, she probably should have retired a few years ago.
Signing a 5 year contract, taking LOA a week later & never really explaining it, and extending it 3x does not sit well with a lot of people, myself included. ( @LarryMullenJr. Thanks for the back up)

OK. I exaggerated. She's not getting $900k in September, she's getting $872k as reported in the NJ press. Her LOAwas also extremely mysterious in nature &,it was reported, that as a state employee (aka my tax dollars) she was taking a fully paid leave based on unused sick time.
No one is questioning her coaching abilities, although as others here & in the Rutgers board have pointed out, she probably should have retired a few years ago.
Signing a 5 year contract, taking LOA a week later & never really explaining it, and extending it 3x does not sit well with a lot of people, myself included. ( @LarryMullenJr. Thanks for the back up)

Nothing you have said changes the fact that as I have said, you have no idea what arrangements were agreed to between Vivian and Rutgers on any of this. You are implying Vivian played Rutgers for financial reasons and was unethical somehow. I happen to believe that's quite an assertion for you to make. Let alone, on top of everything else, why are you so bothered about what $$$$$ Vivian was paid or her LOA? Seriously.

Nothing you have said changes the fact that as I have said, you have no idea what arrangements were agreed to between Vivian and Rutgers on any of this. You are implying Vivian played Rutgers for financial reasons and was unethical somehow. I happen to believe that's quite an assertion for you to make. Let alone, on top of everything else, why are you so bothered about what $$$$$ Vivian was paid or her LOA? Seriously.
I ain't got a dog in this fight but from what I've read here I am also questioning CVS and maybe the school too.

Why would RU sign her to a five year contract knowing 1) She was going to take LOA immediately 2) She was already of retirement age, and 3) She hadn't had - per my quick perusal - a really good season in 15 years?

Also, what D1 coach has taken LOA for Covid? I liked her at Iowa but IDK about some of this other stuff.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.

No real investment here either. You RU fans and Jersey taxpayers should have your opinions and rightfully so. I just want to say I don’t know of many - if any employees that have available sick time wouldn’t use it as paid prior to giving it up. Separate from the point if CVS actually needed to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT