ADVERTISEMENT

Deavin Hilson

J-Prof

Rookie
Mar 7, 2004
Deavin Hilson seems like a really good athlete, but it also seems like there'll be a lot of talent in the running back room this fall (and he missed time there in the spring). I'm definitely not counting him out, but is there a quicker or better way to get him on the field at another position? I think he played LB in high school but that's a position that also seems stacked. There's a need at WR. Is that possible? Anywhere else realistic?

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Deavin Hilson seems like a really good athlete, but it also seems like there'll be a lot of talent in the running back room this fall (and he missed time there in the spring). I'm definitely not counting him out, but is there a quicker or better way to get him on the field at another position? I think he played LB in high school but that's a position that also seems stacked. There's a need at WR. Is that possible? Anywhere else realistic?

I think you named the positions… linebacker running back and then ultimately safety…

And although we’re projected to have incredible linebackers of all the units on the team I’m the most concerned about our depth there… You’ll note we have two freshmen listed on the two deeps.

Yet despite being injured in the spring I do believe there was a lot of winter buzz about how good he looked at the end of last season in practices despite being a lightly recruited late edition.

if memory serves though he only played four games his senior season meaning the whole entire team only played four games

Here's two things that will always help in football: size and speed. I'm pullin' for the Polar Bear. It's not hard to see a shift to LB. He's got the size and more than ample speed for that position.

Eager to see some Polar Bear on the field.

FWIW…..if we have enough talent at Rb we have to move Hilson to Lber, that is a good thing! This defense is a top 5 unit talent wise.

If we can get 30% less 2nd and 12s it will go a looonnng way to improving our offense!

Reactions: shudaddy
Yet despite being injured in the spring I do believe there was a lot of winter buzz about how good he looked at the end of last season in practices despite being a lightly recruited late edition.

if memory serves though he only played four games his senior season meaning the whole entire team only played four games
Yep, the word had it that up until his injury in the spring ... he had really been impressing at RB.

While I wouldn't write him off at RB ... strikes me that he's likely an unselfish, team-first guy. So hopefully he finds his way to the field at some position ... be it RB, safety, or LB.

Here’s what his hs coach said about him (emphasis mine): “He is a very twitchy athlete, especially for his size. His side to side agility is on another level. He plays with controlled violence and commits a lot of time and effort to his technique.”

Sounds like a Lber!! I’m serious when I say this… I know with all the accolades our linebackers have got you guys are gonna think I’m ridiculous but I’m assuming…

Meaning hoping against hope that finally the offense clicks to at least an average degree…

This is a sensational defense (of which we know defense) and we have 10 deep on the D line. I think we have that many deep @ defensive back, maybe deeper. I mean we’ve ultimately proved that for years!

We do not have very much proven depth behind those linebackers!!!

This talent on defense has been building for several years now… Homer has alluded to our defensive recruiting and just generally targeting a better athlete & frame!!

For a program going back to Hayden Fry…..that generally prides themselves on hard nose defense!

This is one of our best and our athleticism has consistently improved to a top five, top 10 level! I don’t just mean football players I mean these guys can run and play in space!

We honestly need a couple more proven linebackers; this spring may have gone a long way to helping us in that regard? I’m sure the coaches probably thought that as well!!

It seems like Higgins is the real deal and I don’t have a bunch of concern with him and then I found it interesting that Sharar Karson*sp, another late addition, lightly recruited Iowa athlete, is on the expanded 2-deeps…but I’m not sold on Logan Klemp or Kyle Fisher!?

One ex running back I recall making one helluva edge and that's one Leroy Smith. Wow was he good
Very different sort of scenario ... but Mitch King ran for a ton of yards for his high school. Very quick on the interior for the Hawks ... crazy-productive for us as an undersized guy on the interior.

Parker Hesse was not too different either ... guy pounded out a lot of yardage on the ground for his high-school team ... ended up being a solid multi-year starter for us at DE.

Plenty of LBs who ran a lot in high school and did great for the Hawks ... guys like Hitchens, Morris, and Jewell, among others, all toted the rock with a lot of success too.

Very different sort of scenario ... but Mitch King ran for a ton of yards for his high school. Very quick on the interior for the Hawks ... crazy-productive for us as an undersized guy on the interior.

Parker Hesse was not too different either ... guy pounded out a lot of yardage on the ground for his high-school team ... ended up being a solid multi-year starter for us at DE.

Plenty of LBs who ran a lot in high school and did great for the Hawks ... guys like Hitchens, Morris, and Jewell, among others, all toted the rock with a lot of success too.

A very underrated Barrington Wade was a terrific high school Rber and raw as heck Lber in high school.

I watched him play against Bradley Bourbonnais high in the playoffs five years ago back when Bradley Bourbonnais was still pretty good and he ripped off like an 80 yard touchdown run on the first series of the game…then got dinged up (still played both ways, incidentally, but didn’t move the same) Bradley Bourbonnais won, but he was a big raw, strong tough dude!!! Incidentally at the time; 7A Illinois high school football!!

A very underrated Barrington Wade was a terrific high school Rber and raw as heck Lber in high school.

I watched him play against Bradley Bourbonnais high in the playoffs five years ago back when Bradley Bourbonnais was still pretty good and he ripped off like an 80 yard touchdown run on the first series of the game…then got dinged up (still played both ways, incidentally, but didn’t move the same) Bradley Bourbonnais won, but he was a big raw, strong tough dude!!! Incidentally at the time; 7A Illinois high school football!!
Wade was a really good Hawk. I was really happy for him that he played so much as a SR. He earned all those snaps!

Wade was a really good Hawk. I was really happy for him that he played so much as a SR. He earned all those snaps!

He did at that…I congratulated him walking out of the stadium to the bus after that game. Very dejected, but spent & HUGE, then! He had on cleats but I was 6 plus, 270 and he made me feel very average!

Odd moment because I’m not that guy, yet my kids played high level soccer & b-ball & I was “that” guy…always seeking out good players and congratulating them. This one just happened to be going to Iowa.

Of course, moving on, they are hardly alone. Micha Hyde, Amani Hooker, were do everything high school Offensive players.

Another criminally underrated Lber Bo Bower was a fast hell High School-do everything. His balance and fluidity was at times, over aggressive…😉 But he was fast!

The Niemann boys, both WR/TEs….many more!

Another one was Nate Meier. His high school highlight tape was hilarious. Man amongst boys in 8 man football. It’s funny at Iowa he was an undersized DE. But a mean son of a bitch a long the line.

Candidate for Cash?

Sounds like a Lber!! I’m serious when I say this… I know with all the accolades our linebackers have got you guys are gonna think I’m ridiculous but I’m assuming…

Meaning hoping against hope that finally the offense clicks to at least an average degree…

This is a sensational defense (of which we know defense) and we have 10 deep on the D line. I think we have that many deep @ defensive back, maybe deeper. I mean we’ve ultimately proved that for years!

We do not have very much proven depth behind those linebackers!!!

This talent on defense has been building for several years now… Homer has alluded to our defensive recruiting and just generally targeting a better athlete & frame!!

For a program going back to Hayden Fry…..that generally prides themselves on hard nose defense!

This is one of our best and our athleticism has consistently improved to a top five, top 10 level! I don’t just mean football players I mean these guys can run and play in space!

We honestly need a couple more proven linebackers; this spring may have gone a long way to helping us in that regard? I’m sure the coaches probably thought that as well!!

It seems like Higgins is the real deal and I don’t have a bunch of concern with him and then I found it interesting that Sharar Karson*sp, another late addition, lightly recruited Iowa athlete, is on the expanded 2-deeps…but I’m not sold on Logan Klemp or Kyle Fisher!?
Didn’t Hitchens come in as a RB? Seemed to work out okay for him if I recall correctly.

I think you named the positions… linebacker running back and then ultimately safety…

And although we’re projected to have incredible linebackers of all the units on the team I’m the most concerned about our depth there… You’ll note we have two freshmen listed on the two deeps.
I don't know CM. There's some serious studs in line after Campbell, Benson and Jacobs. Higgins, Sullivan, Twedt, Sharar, Harrell, and Montgomery. Add Van Kekerix this fall, and Kueter next. Should be no shortage of athletes in that room..

Reactions: Torg
I don't know CM. There's some serious studs in line after Campbell, Benson and Jacobs. Higgins, Sullivan, Twedt, Sharar, Harrell, and Montgomery. Add Van Kekerix this fall, and Kueter next. Should be no shortage of athletes in that room..

Im sure you’re right Kceast and I did say I’m probably overreaching… 🤔. I also only remember feeling real good about Higgins.

But we have seen at least 5 of our D backs ball out on the field. Ross, Robert’s, Harris, Merriwhether, Castro.

Bracy has played some and been talked up as has Schulte, Rexroth. I seemingly remember Deafernadez getting some early buzz and then of course X, Hall & Dejean.

On the D line Shannon, Logan Lee, Waggoner, Evans, Van Ness, Black, Hurkett and Deontae Craig have all played and played well. And there’s quite a bit of young talent behind it…

I get your point though, I have probably forgot about some of the younger Talent in the linebacker room. It doesn’t seem quite as proven though as the other defensive spots!

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Kyler Fisher could be a starter next year.
Yeah, Fisher was a bit of a surprise (to me ... and maybe other fans) coming out of the spring of '21. He was a second team LBer all of last season ... along with Higgins.

I would guess that after Benson and Campbell leave after this season ... I anticipate that we get Jacobs for at least one (more) year. My guess is that Jacobs shifts over to the WILL spot for most downs. I'd also guess that Higgins ends up being the starting MIKE in '23.

Now ... when we go out of our base to the 4-3 ... who is then going to be our 3rd LBer? Does Wallace push Jacobs out back to the LEO OLB spot ... and then have Fisher come in at WILL? That's a possibility. Guys like Harrell, Sharar, Twedt, and Sullivan ... any of those come in and make a strong case for themselves at LEO?

I don't know ... I have a hard time thinking that anybody would displace Jacobs from WILL ... so my guess would be that the path to the field in '23 (past Jacobs and Higgins) will be at LEO. Could be wrong though ...

Reactions: millhawk
Yeah, Fisher was a bit of a surprise (to me ... and maybe other fans) coming out of the spring of '21. He was a second team LBer all of last season ... along with Higgins.

I would guess that after Benson and Campbell leave after this season ... I anticipate that we get Jacobs for at least one (more) year. My guess is that Jacobs shifts over to the WILL spot for most downs. I'd also guess that Higgins ends up being the starting MIKE in '23.

Now ... when we go out of our base to the 4-3 ... who is then going to be our 3rd LBer? Does Wallace push Jacobs out back to the LEO OLB spot ... and then have Fisher come in at WILL? That's a possibility. Guys like Harrell, Sharar, Twedt, and Sullivan ... any of those come in and make a strong case for themselves at LEO?

I don't know ... I have a hard time thinking that anybody would displace Jacobs from WILL ... so my guess would be that the path to the field in '23 (past Jacobs and Higgins) will be at LEO. Could be wrong though ...
I wouldn’t count on Jacobs being here for a 5th year

Heard that about our current QB room ;). In the end none of us really know what's in each cupboard....

That said, no need to worry about defense :)

I wouldn’t count on Jacobs being here for a 5th year
I don't know ... it would be his 5th year ... but technically, he'd still just be a Covid JR that year. The 2021 season was his FIRST season that truly counted against his 4 years of eligibility. Thus, as of today ... he still has 3 years to play 3. If he plays through 2023 ... he'd still only be using 2 of those years.

Given that the young man is such a high-ceiling player ... having a full '23 season as an unequivocal starter (rather than being a "packaged starter") ... that can still do quite a bit to raise his draft stock. Given the precedent and mindset that Jack (Campbell) gives to that room ... and given that Jestin seems like a consummate team-guy ... I really wouldn't be surprised if he stays through '23.

I could definitely be wrong - but I also think that those LBs are going go be really excited to play behind that DL in '23. Talk about beast-mode ...

Reactions: iowaflash
ADVERTISEMENT