ADVERTISEMENT

Debt Relief

sabula

HR All-American
Oct 24, 2001
Republicans and some Dem, and I guess factory workers and truck drivers when you listen to the complaining, are up in arms over the student debt relief being funded from their hard earned tax dollars. I wonder if we will hear the same complaining when they learn that the USDA announced yesterday that farmers have received $800 million in direct debt relief, with much more soon to come? The total to be about $1.3 billion for approx. 36,000 farmers.

Last edited:
Republicans and some Dem, and I guess factory workers and truck drivers when you listen to the complaining, are up in arms over the student debt relief being funded from their hard earned tax dollars. I wonder if we will hear the same complaining when they learn that the USDA announced yesterday that farmers have received $800 million in direct debt relief, with much more soon to come? The total to be about $1.3 billion for approx. 36,000 farmers.
You just beat me to it.

$1.3 billion in debt relief? Just for farmers and not millions of other small business owners?

I don't get it.

Is there any way of knowing how those farmers spent the borrowed money? Was it just seed, fertilizer, etc? Or was a beautiful new John Deere tractor or combine? Or worse, was it a new F-150, or a fabulous vacation?

Do these farmers that can't pay their loans have equity in their land? Probably.

How many small business owners have had to close their businesses and declare bankruptcy in the last few years? No help for them to allow them to continue?

Borrow money, pay it back.

You just beat me to it.

$1.3 billion in debt relief? Just for farmers and not millions of other small business owners?

I don't get it.

Is there any way of knowing how those farmers spent the borrowed money? Was it just seed, fertilizer, etc? Or was a beautiful new John Deere tractor or combine? Or worse, was it a new F-150, or a fabulous vacation?

Do these farmers that can't pay their loans have equity in their land? Probably.

How many small business owners have had to close their businesses and declare bankruptcy in the last few years? No help for them to allow them to continue?

Borrow money, pay it back.
I agree. Pay it back. Sounds like it's funded by that Inflation Reduction Bill. Talk about a horribly misnamed bill.

"that's different"

Wow. Is this true? Count me in as someone that has a huge problem with BOTH.

Ah, don't worry - Joni Ernst is gonna make 'em squeal as soon as she gets done nude sunbathing on the patio.
Wonder what her sex life is like these days since she can't abuse and harass soldiers under her command?

Farmers love some government money for themselves, just not for anybody else.

Farmers are the biggest welfare queens in America.

Change-My-Mind.jpg

Farmers love some government money for themselves, just not for anybody else.
Bingo…1.3 billion for only 36k….works out to way more per person than student loan debt relief.

If this student loan debt relief thing is a hill the right wants to die on….I’m all for ending all farm aid/debt relief and subsidies….I used to just chuckle at the hypocrisy…but my opinion is shifting…

Always have been. And some of the biggest hypocrites to boot.

Funny thing is, I'm actually not completely against subsidizing them. They are an important part of maintaining our society.

Just cut the folksy, we're the hardest working, salt of the earth, look at my weathered hands, I'm self sufficient bullshit act and admit what you are: a guy operating a business that you chose to be in that needs the government to give you some handouts to get the job done. Own it.

While I don't agree with all the subsidies farmers receive, I challenge any one of you to borrow all the money you need to survive for the year then gamble on whether or not your can make enough through the year to pay it off.

While I don't agree with all the subsidies farmers receive, I challenge any one of you to borrow all the money you need to survive for the year then gamble on whether or not your can make enough through the year to pay it off.
We're not talking borrowing with the expectation of paying it off at the end of the season.

This is straight up loan forgiveness...the same concept the Radical Right bitches about.

There are plenty of safeguards in effect with crop insurance and the like.

We're criticizing the hypocrisy.

gamble? that may be a bit of an overreach.

Reactions: MitchLL
Bingo…1.3 billion for only 36k….works out to way more per person than student loan debt relief.

If this student loan debt relief thing is a hill the right wants to die on….I’m all for ending all farm aid/debt relief and subsidies….I used to just chuckle at the hypocrisy…but my opinion is shifting…
So you don’t want grass buffer strips to filter chemicals from Iowa water ways?

We're not talking borrowing with the expectation of paying it off at the end of the season.

This is straight up loan forgiveness...the same concept the Radical Right bitches about.

There is plenty of hypocrisy to go around regardless of which side of the aisle you stand on; but it's a real stretch to compare the ag industry to personal student loans.

I'm not a big supporter of farm subsidies either but I understand the driving force. Two words ...

FOOD SECURITY

If you look historically at how Ag Subsidies started around the world it was usually a result of weather (i.e. The Dust Bowl in the 1930s here in the U.S.), economic downturns, wars (especially WWII) that lead to food insecurity issues within these countries. The war in Ukraine is a classic example of this today as they have some of the most fertile farmland in Europe taken out of production and also had trouble getting their grains to export markets thanks to Vladimar. Europe and Japan had major food insecurity issues in WWII and as a result put huge subsidy plans in place after the war to make sure that did not happen again. One of the major fears among Chinese leaders is feeding their people ... hence, huge subsidies and state run farms.

Yes, U.S. subsidies can seem high but they are actually relatively low if you compare them to Europe and much of Asia. I wrote a white paper on this probably 15 years ago for my employer but here is a better one by Alice Calder that has the most current data.

The liberal dream is Chinese farmland throughout the Midwest.

Really? It's a gamble every time they plant or buy livestock. If the market drops substantially they lose their asses. I assume you weren't around in the 80's when farms were going belly up right and left.

Wait. Didn’t they sign up for this? Is someone forcing them to be a farmer and take on this “gamble?”

Ya know…kind of like the same argument used when righties bitch about people taking on student loans.

Choice, bro. Both made theirs of free will. You appear to be willing to give one a pass and not the other.

What’s your background in crop insurance?

Did you realize that if hail or wind destroys a crop you still have to harvest it? Wind blown corn can take twice as long (twice as much fuel) to harvest. Then whatever you actually make at market is deducted from an already under 100% of what you’d make if no disaster happened.

It’s not like homeowners insurance to where a little hail damage gets you a brand new roof.

I'm not a big supporter of farm subsidies either but I understand the driving force. Two words ...

FOOD SECURITY

If you look historically at how Ag Subsidies started around the world it was usually a result of weather (i.e. The Dust Bowl in the 1930s here in the U.S.), economic downturns, wars (especially WWII) that lead to food insecurity issues within these countries. The war in Ukraine is a classic example of this today as they have some of the most fertile farmland in Europe taken out of production and also had trouble getting their grains to export markets thanks to Vladimar. Europe and Japan had major food insecurity issues in WWII and as a result put huge subsidy plans in place after the war to make sure that did not happen again. One of the major fears among Chinese leaders is feeding their people ... hence, huge subsidies and state run farms.

Yes, U.S. subsidies can seem high but they are actually relatively low if you compare them to Europe and much of Asia. I wrote a white paper on this probably 15 years ago for my employer but here is a better one by Alice Calder that has the most current data.

I can get on board with this and would add Food Security is also a National Security issue.

I think it might be time to apply the same thought process to Energy Production.

Reactions: rwphawk
Not even remotely similar. Taking out a student loan is like buying a car, not running a business.
This is a terrible analogy.

A car is a depreciating asset. You buy a car knowing it's going to lose value until at some point it's no longer economically practical.

A student loan is an investment that you make towards an improved future outcome/success. You get the loan to get the education to get the degree to get the job to get the income. You hope that the investment is such that the increased income more than offsets the cost of the loan.

How is this not the same as investing in assets for a business - whether it's a larger, more efficient piece of equipment, additional personnel, etc? You hope that the increase in revenue exceeds the increased costs.

What’s your background in crop insurance?

Did you realize that if hail or wind destroys a crop you still have to harvest it? Wind blown corn can take twice as long (twice as much fuel) to harvest. Then whatever you actually make at market is deducted from an already under 100% of what you’d make if no disaster happened.

It’s not like homeowners insurance to where a little hail damage gets you a brand new roof.

Sounds like a risk of doing business. People have choices. They make theirs.

Like I said above - I’m not against some level of subsidies. But farmers aren’t heroes and they should just shut their trap if they’re going to start bitching about other people getting $ from Uncle Sam.

I can get on board with this and would add Food Security is also a National Security issue.

I think it might be time to apply the same thought process to Energy Production.
Yep, they are joined at the hip. Relative to most of the world, we take food for granted in this country.

Hot Dog Meatballs GIF

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT