ADVERTISEMENT

Decorah declines Mumford & Sons

Sooner-Be-Dead

HR Heisman
Sep 2, 2003
A music festival would hurt the grass.

--------------------

Mumford and Sons showed interest in performing in Decorah during the summer of 2015 as a part of their Gentlemen of the Road (GOTR) concerts, but due to the nature of the band's needs, Luther officials denied their request.
Their request relied largely upon the use of Luther facilities. The internationally renowned folk-rock band had hoped to perform at the end of a two-day music festival in Decorah.
"There were two specific [requests]," Vice President for Communications and Marketing Rob Larson said. "The first request was to make space available for camping."
The group sought space for the musicians' crewmembers and fans to stay near campus. One concern was the potential for damage to spaces intended for educational purposes, such as Anderson Prairie, an area set to a specific burn cycle. The burn schedule is intended to promote natural diversity of plant species and camping would have disrupted the cycle.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30067-1349110670-2.gif

They are an easy target for people to hate but I actually enjoy their music. Seems like some sort of compromise would have worked.

I have seen them at Gentlemen of the Road in Dixon, IL. Good band to see live. However, if Decorah is doing a prairie restoration and that is the reason for not allowing the show, kudos to them. I have read in Iowa Outdoors about the time consuming and meticulous nature of returning ag land back to native prairie. Love Decorah.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I really liked them like 4 years ago. Still do, think Decorah made a big mistake. Those crazy Lutheran's.

Originally posted by linkshero:
I really liked them like 4 years ago. Still do, think Decorah made a big mistake. Those crazy Lutheran's.

There isn't enough info in the OP to determine that imo. I think we need to know how much and what kind of education is going on before concluding it was the wrong call.

Originally posted by torbee:
The band FUN played in Decorah. My daughter went. Said it was a very good show.

Little know fact, FUN's lead singer - Nate Ruess - was born in Iowa City and lived there for awhile as a kid.
I think he was 4 when his family moved to Arizona.

And it's the same weekend as the Bacoon Ride, which we're already registered for. Sonofaredacted.

Originally posted by bdg8:
Decorahs loss is Waverly's gain. Mumford, My Morning Jacket, Flaming Lips and others will be playing there instead of Decorah
When?

We did ride it. Overall, it was good. I really hope it's not much bigger this year, though (but I'm afraid it will be). The line for the donut at the first stop was about 45 minutes long, so we didn't stop there. And another town with the tacos never bothered checking the "passport/passpork" so they ran out before we got there. It was awfully crowded at times. Some of the signs for where the free food was could have been better. Take at least one charger for phone/music with you, because you will need it.

It's been awhile since I went to a music festival but $199 ea. to see this line up seems like alot to me. Outside lands is only $275 for 3 days of better bands than this.

It's 20 minutes from my house, tops. I agree with the ticket price SF but this doesn't happen often, especially right in my own backyard. Almost all the music that comes through this area which I don't dig. Seeing Flaming Lips in Waverly, Ia is pretty mind bottling.

Decorahs loss is Waverly's gain.  Mumford, My Morning Jacket, Flaming Lips and others will be playing there instead of Decorah
Never thought I'd see I lineup like that come through Iowa. Amazing. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I was still in the area.

Decorahs loss is Waverly's gain.  Mumford, My Morning Jacket, Flaming Lips and others will be playing there instead of Decorah
Never thought I'd see I lineup like that come through Iowa. Amazing. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I was still in the area.

Originally posted by 2winCitiesHawk:

2win...you hate Mumford, no?

I thought you were done being a hippie after your haircut.

Originally posted by jellyfish10:
I have seen them at Gentlemen of the Road in Dixon, IL. Good band to see live. However, if Decorah is doing a prairie restoration and that is the reason for not allowing the show, kudos to them. I have read in Iowa Outdoors about the time consuming and meticulous nature of returning ag land back to native prairie. Love Decorah.

I have to agree with this. A great music show is fun but doesn't compare in the long run. Decorah is home to the eagle cam.

A quiet nest at night

Not a fan of their "signature" sound, although I am a fan of bluegrass and folk. I am a fan of Marcus Mumford as an artist. His collaboration on The New Basement Tapes was great. It will be interesting to see everyone's reaction as Mumford goes electric on their next record.

Not a fan of their "signature" sound, although I am a fan of bluegrass and folk. I am a fan of Marcus Mumford as an artist. His collaboration on The New Basement Tapes was great. It will be interesting to see everyone's reaction as Mumford goes electric on their next record.

Lost on the River? I agree with your sentiment though. Like them or not, I do think they are incredibly talented.

For those thinking HROT is dead, I thought I'd bring back a thread from the dead. Now THIS is important stuff.

Look what it was like 9 months ago. There must be a few bitches ready to calf by now!!!!!!

Cows. Bitches have (whelp) pups.
Thank you. I confess I had to Google "whelp". My teacher was right, you learn something new every day. And at 11:00 p.m. it was getting close for today. My statement was rather inappropriate. Please forgive me.

FWIW when I went to the tour shows on Saturday night, the grass lot the cars had to park in were rained on and torn up. I'm talking about ankle deep in mud. It was nasty.

Jenny Lewis is still hot though. Any other Rilo Kiley fans in the house?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT