ADVERTISEMENT

Decorah trans athlete wants ‘to be part of the team,’ even if Iowa ban won’t let her play

How in the world is that a me problem?
Because you think that "because I’ll start claiming to be an African American woman to get a promotion which will be discrimination to the true transgender African American woman" is a reasonable and/or helpful response to the issue.

Reactions: gohawks50
Because you think that "because I’ll start claiming to be an African American woman to get a promotion which will be discrimination to the true transgender African American woman" is a reasonable and/or helpful response to the issue.
I’m just stating, that will be the next step in this whole thing. Transgenders won’t be treated fairly in the work place and companies will be forced to make positions for them. Sounds like a bigger issue then a me problem. It will be great for someone who wants to take advantage of it to get promoted.

It happened in Soul Man.

I’m just stating, that will be the next step in this whole thing. Transgenders won’t be treated fairly in the work place and companies will be forced to make positions for them. Sounds like a bigger issue then a me problem. It will be great for someone who wants to take advantage of it to get promoted.
With all due respect, this kind of thinking is still a you problem and not a transgender problem.

Reactions: gohawks50
It happened in Soul Man.
That's more credible than reading it on the internet. Before you know it, some kids will find a tunnel in the basement of a restaurant and end up in an underground cave on a pirate ship carrying lots of gold and then we are all ****ed.

Sorry. Im all for girls sports, but there should be no state law that excludes children from participating with their friends and peers.

So…it’s fine to have sports that are just for girls, but they should not be restricted to just girls.

A law that requires Gavy to reject her identity that she has had for six years, or 40% of her life, so she can play school sponsored sports is an unjust and cruel law.
So believe something for long enough and it will come true?
That doesn’t work. I’ve been saying I was going to win the powerball for over half my life now and it hasn’t happened. It’s just not fair.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
So believe something for long enough and it will come true?
That doesn’t work. I’ve been saying I was going to win the powerball for over half my life now and it hasn’t happened. It’s just not fair.
Believing you will win the Powerball is such a great comparison to changing your gender! :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: hawkbirch
I haven’t read the thread but I need to weight in. I have watched a lot of high school sports even though I don’t have any kids and I can say that if you are a guy watching all of the events from under the bleachers that eventually people will call you that weird guy that watches sports from under the bleachers.

• Haha
Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
Believing you will win the Powerball is such a great comparison to changing your gender! :rolleyes:
Changing your gender to something other then what you were born as doesn’t seem like that great of an idea to begin with either but if that’s what someone wants to do I’m fine with it. But when what you do to yourself starts having an impact on other people, I’m not fine with it. 🤪

I haven’t read the thread but I need to weight in. I have watched a lot of high school sports even though I don’t have any kids and I can say that if you are a guy watching all of the events from under the bleachers that eventually people will call you Seymour Butts.
Fify

Reactions: Moral
Changing your gender to something other then what you were born as doesn’t seem like that great of an idea to begin with either but if that’s what someone wants to do I’m fine with it. But when what you do to yourself starts having an impact on other people, I’m not fine with it. 🤪
How has Gavy being on the volleyball team negatively impacted anyone?

A kid from another school district could be on your football team, and if he sucked it wouldn’t affect anyone. But it is still right and proper to forbid athletes from other school districts to participate on your school’s teams.

How has Gavy being on the volleyball team not negatively impacted anyone?
I mean we’re on page 6 of a message board and not everyone has the same thoughts on the subject so I have a pretty good idea that it’s negatively impacted someone.

Liam Thomas the Penn Swimmer was ranked 356
Lia Thomas is ranked 1

Let's make things way worse now...........some kids in school are now identifying as a cat!
Really??? And want the schools sued for not putting in a litter box for them.

How has Gavy being on the volleyball team not negatively impacted anyone?
I mean we’re on page 6 of a message board and not everyone has the same thoughts on the subject so I have a pretty good idea that it’s negatively impacted someone.
Laws should address actual problems. Iowa passed a law banning transgender females from participating in girl's sports so it must be a big problem. Can someone point me to a transgender athlete in Iowa that started on a girl's team? How about one on a all conference team or all state team? How about an Iowa transgender athlete that took a spot on a team from a cisgender girl? Anything that shows Iowa has a problem with transgender girls participating in women's sports will do?

Laws should address actual problems. Iowa passed a law banning transgender females from participating in girl's sports so it must be a big problem. Can someone point me to a transgender athlete in Iowa that started on a girl's team? How about one on a all conference team or all state team? How about an Iowa transgender athlete that took a spot on a team from a cisgender girl? Anything that shows Iowa has a problem with transgender girls participating in women's sports will do?
Well if you read anything, Iowa was being proactive instead of reactive about the situation. So you probably won’t see any of the instances you are asking for.

A kid from another school district could be on your football team, and if he sucked it wouldn’t affect anyone. But it is still right and proper to forbid athletes from other school districts to participate on your school’s teams.
What does that have to do with this topic? The school I taught at didn't offer soccer. We had a boy that wanted to play soccer so our school made an arrangement for him to play at another school. Was that wrong, he might have taken the spot of a local boy?

That is a big part that no one wants to discuss or get into the details of. Not all Transgenders are the same. It ranges anywhere from a biological male that has gone through puberty, still has all male part and taken no hormone therapy and just identifies as a female to a biological male that never went through puberty, started hormone therapy before puberty and had gender reassignment surgery removing male parts and things in between.

Doesn't this matter in the discussion or is it too mean to collect this information from someone to know whether they can participate in a sport?
I think collecting said information would be an aggressive violation of privacy rights and protections. I also get the impression that those things are exactly why this "issue" is being framed, and acted on, as broadly as it is because those with the awareness and power to do something about it know that they're playing a very tenuous game with the rights and privileges of minors.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'd much rather see issues like this handled on the local level, or the IHAA.

If I had to guess, I'm assuming many local authorities or governing bodies like the IHAA don't want to take this on themselves without a law to point to when/if they are sued.

ADVERTISEMENT