ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Impact collision ejected the stuff of life

Originally posted by fsu1jreed:
Actually the odds are not that great when you take into context the number of places in the universe where life could possibly arise. Check out this link on the Drake equation(
c57fe678db3cb8c47ca58c85bd5d41c2.png
). This is just for intelligent life in our Galaxy which we might come into contact with. If you scroll down you will see the very conservative number of N=0.0000002211. Which looks very small, but when you multiply it by the estimated number of galaxies(~400,000,000,000,000) then you get 88,440,000. That's a whole lot of civilizations out there. The odds are only exteremly small when you pick a specific planet/moon.

Cool, this was on that show last night. This board is making me more smarter.

Neanderthals

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: H. neanderthalensis

Humans

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Superfamily: Hominoidea
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Tribe: Hominini
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Originally posted by crash_n_learn:
In those times, days lasted millions of years. The bible also forgets to mention that humanity spawned from inbreeding.

First, that's not what he meant.

Second, the days were 24 hour days. After all, the plants were created on a previous day to the Sun.

Third, the Bible doesn't forget to mention that. Of course, Adam and Eve's children married each other.

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:

In those times, days lasted millions of years. The bible also forgets to mention that humanity spawned from inbreeding.

First, that's not what he meant.

Second, the days were 24 hour days. After all, the plants were created on a previous day to the Sun.

Third, the Bible doesn't forget to mention that. Of course, Adam and Eve's children married each other.

straight jacket
rubber room
daily meds
throw away the key

So? One day or a million years? Couldn't God keep the plants alive no matter what time has elapsed?

NOW you're trying to use "science" to help justify your creation myth?

Originally posted by NPRLover:

So? One day or a million years? Couldn't God keep the plants alive no matter what time has elapsed?

God could have, but He didn't.

Hounded, I feel for you. You need to bring some of those gay heathens you convert on board to help spread your truth.

Originally posted by SalAunese:
According
to scientific research, we hardly share any evolutionary traits with
the Neanderthal since they're from another branch of the evolutionary
tree that didnt spawn into homo sapien.

I think you should check your facts on this one. These guys are listed as humans.

Wrong, we were different species.

Humans=Homo sapiens
Neanderthal=Homo neanderthalensis

I would disagree. I didn't say they were modern humans, but I do believe they are humans.

Anyways, thanks for your insight and response. Just curious as to how you percieve Adam and Eve to be and the part they play in your belief. Do you believe the bible to be the true word of God? That things have not deviated from the original message of Christianity since Roman Empire adopting Christianity and the rise of the Catholic Church?

Hounded, I feel for you. You need to bring some of those gay heathens you convert on board to help spread your truth.

Believe me, Crash. I feel for you too.

Anyways, thanks for your insight and response. Just curious as to how you percieve Adam and Eve to be and the part they play in your belief. Do you believe the bible to be the true word of God? That things have not deviated from the original message of Christianity since Roman Empire adopting Christianity and the rise of the Catholic Church?

Yeah Hounded, how come some books and some gospels were omitted from the bible. Didn't the Catholic Church create the bible, but not write the books?

I believe the Bible to be the Word of God.

I believe the message of the Bible was greatly changed by the Catholic church.

Actually the odds are not that great when you take into context the number of places in the universe where life could possibly arise. Check out this link on the Drake equation(
c57fe678db3cb8c47ca58c85bd5d41c2.png
). This is just for intelligent life in our Galaxy which we might come into contact with. If you scroll down you will see the very conservative number of N=0.0000002211. Which looks very small, but when you multiply it by the estimated number of galaxies(~400,000,000,000,000) then you get 88,440,000. That's a whole lot of civilizations out there. The odds are only exteremly small when you pick a specific planet/moon. And this is for Intellegent life. Imagine what the "odds" are for bacteria.

What's going to happen when we do find bacteria outside the Earth in the next few years? You will have to revise your whole ideology.

The odds for one single cell to form is greater then 1 in all the atoms in the known universe.

Believe me, Crash. I feel for you too.

Thanks, and I didn't mean that as an insult. It's always you against the world and if I was in your shoes, I would want some one else on my side in the debate.

Yeah Hounded, how come some books and some gospels were omitted from the bible. Didn't the Catholic Church create the bible, but not write the books?

I don't believe Catholic church existed at this time. It's a long story and I don't want to take this thread that way.

Who do you think is happier with hounded?

God, because hounded obviously feels himself to be qualified to expound on the word of the Lord; or the Devil because hounded's rants and ravings undoubtedly drive some away from Christianity?

If there is anybody out there, and I do mean "out there", who could drive away young, intelligent seekers of God, hounded's the guy.

His exhortations about what is true, and who is a Christian, and what God really means when He says this or that are little more than narcissistic, selfish bloviations meant to feed his own ego. He doesn't "reveal" anything; in fact, with his fundamentalist brethren serge, they cast Christianity in quite a repulsive light.

I think Satan is ultimately the happier for having hounded post here. Nobody could be quite as effective as turning people away from Christianity.
This post was edited on 9/7 1:49 PM by NPRLoverif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

I don't believe Catholic church existed at this time. It's a long story and I don't want to take this thread that way.

At what time? I just believe that Christianity during the time of Jesus and the Christianity that evolved before, during and after the fall of the Roman Empire are vastly different things. Anyways thanks for answering my questions.

God, because hounded obviously feels himself to be qualified to expound on the word of the Lord; or the Devil because hounded's rants and ravings undoubtedly drive some away from Christianity?

If there is anybody out there, and I do mean "out there", who could drive away young, intelligent seekers of God, hounded's the guy.

His exhortations about what is true, and who is a Christian, and what God really means when He says this or that are little more than narcissistic, selfish bloviations meant to feed his own ego. He doesn't "reveal" anything; in fact, with his fundamentalist brethren serge, they cast Christianity in quite a repulsive light.

I think Satan is ultimately the happier for having hounded post here. Nobody could be quite as effective as turning people away from Christianity.

This post was edited on 9/7 1:49 PM by NPRLover
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Personal experience??

This post was edited on 9/7 1:49 PM by NPRLover

I could not agree more...it is people like Hounded and a few others that have almost completely turned me away from organized Christian religions...I know the truth is out there...but it cannot be found in their short-sided, all-knowing rhetoric.

I see NPR's point. I saw a documentary on the Army of God church last weekend. Christian crazies drive people away. (I am not saying Hounded is like this)

I highly doubt Hounded is anything like the Army of God people. Give him a little more credit than that. I highly doubt he's a mean spirited person who wishes ill will towards those of a different policital/religious/sexual persuasion.

I highly doubt Hounded is anything like the Army of God people. Give him a little more credit than that. I highly doubt he's a mean spirited person who wishes ill will towards those of a different policital/religious/sexual persuasion.

Oh, hounded doesn't wish "ill will" towards fags and heathens; he just wishes they get what the bible says is coming to them.

Oh, but you say there is no difference?
This post was edited on 9/7 2:08 PM by NPRLoverif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

"I could not agree more...it is people like Hounded and a few others that have almost completely turned me away from organized Christian religions...I know the truth is out there...but it cannot be found in their short-sided, all-knowing rhetoric."

"I consider the Society of Friends the religious community which has the highest moral standards. As far as I know, they have never made evil compromises and are always guided by their conscience. In international life, especially, their influence seems to me very beneficial and effective."

-Albert Einstein

Give us a try NC_Hawk
This post was edited on 9/7 2:09 PM by tarheelbybirthif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Quakers

if you mean "ill will" to mean believing they are going to hell and are headed for an after-life of burning in eternal fire for their sins here on earth...then yeah, he is like that.

Does he say he "wishes" this to happen? Or merely states thats what the bible says whats going to happen? I highly doubt he wishes for you or I to burn for all of eternity.

Originally posted by tarheelbybirth:
"I could not agree more...it is people like Hounded and a few others that have almost completely turned me away from organized Christian religions...I know the truth is out there...but it cannot be found in their short-sided, all-knowing rhetoric."

"I consider the Society of Friends the religious community which has the highest moral standards. As far as I know, they have never made evil compromises and are always guided by their conscience. In international life, especially, their influence seems to me very beneficial and effective."

-Albert Einstein

Give us a try NC_Hawk /images/smilie1.gif

Aka Quakers?

I'm not into the "gathering in a circle and publicly praying" stuff.

German Lutherans are much more private.

Does he say he "wishes" this to happen? Or merely states thats what the bible says whats going to happen? I highly doubt he wishes for you or I to burn for all of eternity.

I didn't write that he wishes it...I said he believes it...you draw your own conclusions on what helps him sleep at night.

Methinks constantly having his mythological theories debunked on a daily basis has rather irked dear Hounded. Where he used to show humility and courtesy when espousing his fantastical beliefs, having his hat handed to him so many times has made him quite grumpy.

I doubt many German Lutherans really give a shit...Im one of them...The ELCA is a far cry from the church groups and attitudes formed 150 years ago. So what is your opinion of the Wisconsin Synod or Missouri Synod types?

Aka Quakers?

I was told this weekend by a Catholic that Lutheranism is a sin and an abomination. Apparently it is a religion of men, not of God. The religion of Christ is Catholicism. BTW-I don't buy it.

Oh, hounded doesn't wish "ill will" towards fags and heathens; he just wishes they get what the bible says is coming to them.

This post was edited on 9/7 2:08 PM by NPRLover

I would think he prays to God to forgive them.

The ELCA is a far cry from the church groups and attitudes formed 150 years ago.

And thank God for that.

So what is your opinion of the Wisconsin Synod or Missouri Synod types?

Types? If one were to generalize, then one would say the LC-MS is disgrace to thinking Lutherans everywhere, especially given the recent 9-11 service debacle. The insistence of the LC-MS in denying communion to all non-members (depending on the church) is an insult.

The WELS is even worse.

Not that the ALC/LCA/AELC/ELCA and whatever acronymns I've forgotten is perfect by any means.

I was baptized and confirmed ELCA Lutheran. One of the great spiritual influences on my life was my Pastor who was a very compassionate man who didn't even find God until after the Korean War. My church was pretty liberal.

Aka Quakers?

I was told this weekend by a Catholic that Lutheranism is a sin and an abomination. Apparently it is a religion of men, not of God. The religion of Christ is Catholicism. BTW-I don't buy it.

Most Catholics don't know shit about the bible much less other religions.
This post was edited on 9/7 2:21 PM by NPRLoverif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Aka Quakers?

Most Catholics don't know shit about the bible much less other religions.

This post was edited on 9/7 2:21 PM by NPRLover

as a 30 year old Catholic...I find your post to be quite.............

spot-on

but the fish fry's on Friday nights rock, bingo is awesome, and if you go to the Saturday night mass at 4:45pm...the homily is short and you are out in less than 40 minutes (and that includes communion)....then you get to sleep in on Sunday, and it is all good with God.

Most Catholics don't know sh** about the bible much less other religions.

It all starts at the top too. Then Cardinal Rattie is the own who sent down the orders to refuse communion to John Kerry. What a joke.

Originally posted by 86Hawkeye:

This post was edited on 9/7 2:08 PM by NPRLover

I would think he prays to God to forgive them.

You must have missed hounded's posts on page one of this thread.

He (hounded, not God) says Christianity is not all about forgiveness. He doesn't even give the impression that Christianity is even a "little bit" about forgiveness, imo.

It's about being right (which means you must agree with hounded) or being wrong.

Most Catholics don't know sh** about the bible much less other religions.

It all starts at the top too. Then Cardinal Rattie is the own who sent down the orders to refuse communion to John Kerry. What a joke.

Well, to be fair, it's not like the Catholics are so much worse than all others at teaching biblical awareness to their flock.
This post was edited on 9/7 2:28 PM by NPRLoverif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT