ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Impact collision ejected the stuff of life

fsu1jreed

HR King
Apr 1, 2002
dn7961-1_700.jpg

Millions of kilograms of fine dust particles and water and a "surprisingly high" amount of organic molecules sprayed into space when NASA crashed its Deep Impact spacecraft into Comet 9P/Tempel 1 on 4 July 2005, reveal a trio of new studies.

The observations bolster theories that comets may have seeded Earth with the raw materials for life and suggest they may be sponge-like – rather than hardened – at their cores.

On 4 July, about 80 telescopes on Earth and in space trained their sights on Comet Tempel 1 when a 370-kilogram copper impactor was sent hurtling into its path. Just after the smash, a bright vapour plume spewed from the surface at about 5 kilometres per second, followed quickly by a stream of particles that spread into a cone.

The cone appeared to remain attached to the comet's surface for about 22 hours before separating into a detached arc. Researchers used this gravitational attraction to estimate the mass and density of the comet's main body, or nucleus. They found that the 72 trillion kilogram-nucleus was extremely porous, with as much as 80% of its volume taken up by empty space.

"That tells me there is no solid layer all the way down to the centre," says Mike A'Hearn, the mission's principal investigator at the University of Maryland in College Park, US. He says he had expected that the ice might become denser towards the core of the nucleus, but that instead "probably all the way in, ice is all in the form of tiny grains".
A touch crumbly

"It’s like a sponge, with a lot of cavities," agrees Horst Uwe Keller, an astronomer at the Max-Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany. He observed the event with Europe's Rosetta spacecraft and says the discovery confirms previous observations suggesting other comets are also porous. "When you touch it, it just crumbles under your hands."

Observers estimate the impact released about 5 million kilograms of water from beneath the comet's surface and between two and five times as much dust. There was so much dust, in fact, that mission members have not been able to see the impact crater with the high-resolution camera on the mission's flyby spacecraft, about 500 km away.

To add to the problem, that camera was malfunctioning but now image-processing techniques may have revealed a glimpse of the crater and team members may release the image later on Wednesday.
Building blocks

The team estimates the impact blasted away a crater about 100 metres wide and up to 30 m deep. Crucially, organic molecules were among the material ejected. Neither the full range of molecules nor their abundances have been determined yet, but researchers say they have found a surprisingly high amount of methyl cyanide, a molecule seen in large quantities in another comet.

This supports theories that comets may have brought water and the building blocks of life to Earth, and the team hopes to eventually "identify all the species comets brought in abundance to early Earth", says A'Hearn.

The observations have also apparently ruled out another theory – that impacts with other objects may be responsible for the occasional stream of gas and dust seen coming off of comets. Although Tempel 1's surface is pockmarked with craters ranging from 40 m to 400 m across, astronomers watching the comet both before and after the impact noticed that it released the streams relatively often in spurts of activity apparently triggered by sunlight.

"I don’t think the hypothesis that outbursts are caused by impacts is really valid," says A'Hearn. "Probably comets undergo outbursts like this very frequently and the fact that everyone was looking intensively [at this comet] for an extended period allowed us to see phenomena that are probably common and weren’t seen before."

Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1118923)

My God............It's full of Stars..............

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Originally posted by Tangled Up In IU:
I've ejected the stuff of life upon deep impact. Once it was even with a girl.

Translation: you followed her up drive-way and threw at her?

:^)

Originally posted by Tangled Up In IU:
I've ejected the stuff of life upon deep impact. Once it was even with a girl.
That was pretty good.

For a Hoosier.

Originally posted by Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo:
Now all you have to do is prepare to defend yourself against the inevitable onslaught of "And just who do you think created those comets in the first place?" responses.

?? I highly doubt that.

Perhaps someone could give us a token one.
This post was edited on 9/7 11:36 AM by HoundedHawkif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Wait a minute?....I gotta ask...if life has been around for millions of years, and came to earth via a huge comet....why in the heck would God send us his son just a mere two thousand years ago to help us understand his Dad's role in the Universe....and how he made man in his image and all....???

Was he just tinkering around with the dinosaurs, sea-life, and stuff before he was ready to go ahead and "make" man??

If this is true....it sure does make the Bible look like a really good selling book comprised of total fiction.

Originally posted by NC_Hawk:
Wait a minute?....I gotta ask...if life has been around for millions of years, and came to earth via a huge comet....why in the heck would God send us his son just a mere two thousand years ago to help us understand his Dad's role in the Universe....and how he made man in his image and all....???

Was he just tinkering around with the dinosaurs, sea-life, and stuff before he was ready to go ahead and "make" man??

If this is true....it sure does make the Bible look like a really good selling book comprised of total fiction.

Stupid questions deserve no answers.

Have you quit molesting the neighborhood children?

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:

I have absolutely NO idea what the heck you mean with your question....do you have me confused with someone else?? I sure hope so!!

Wait
a minute?....I gotta ask...if life has been around for millions of
years, and came to earth via a huge comet....why in the heck would God
send us his son just a mere two thousand years ago to help us
understand his Dad's role in the Universe....and how he made man in his
image and all....???

So..........if you don't believe in the bible, you are a child molestor? What next? Burning at the stake?

I thought you liked stupid questions.

Well the answer to your stupid question is quite easy for me to answer...Yes...in fact, I stopped a long time ago.

Now what is your reply to my stupid question?

I don't pretend to have all the answers...it is people that pretend they DO KNOW...and point to the Bible like it is some sort of Historical fact-based source for the building blocks of life on earth.

I have absolutely NO idea what the heck you mean with your question....do you have me confused with someone else?? I sure hope so!!

NC, your questions are very valid.

As you see, it is difficult for the fundamentalist to address those
questions, for it exposes the weak underpinnings of their myth and fable.

Why indeed is Jesus required to save us? And why was Jesus required to die? Because the founders
of Christianity just copied some pagan religions and their procedures?

Why does the bible mention dinosaurs, at least according to our resident dino/bible expert serge, when
it is well known that dino's were gone tens of millions of years before the presence of man? Why does the bible
include a flood myth? Again, copying earlier religions?

Face it, Christianity is just as pagan as anything else. It just happens to be "official" or orthodox now.
This post was edited on 9/7 12:07 PM by NPRLoverif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Reactions: RunRonnieRun

Well the answer to your stupid question is quite easy for me to answer...Yes...in fact, I stopped a long time ago.

I don't like to answer the stupid questions of former pedophiles. I leave that to other people.

I don't like to answer the stupid questions of former pedophiles. I leave that to other people.

I bet you don't....at least I realized my mistakes, and changed my ways...

I would hope you might consider doing the same...but you won't...you have it all figured out.

A former pedophile? My goodness, such an accusation.

This is horrible. Of course, doesn't hounded send his daughters out
on "practice dates" with their uncles?

I guess it's not pedophilia when relatives are involved.

Isn't Christinity all about forgiveness???????

Originally posted by NPRLover:

Accusation? Recognition of admission.

Of course, doesn't hounded send his daughters out

This thread is full of stupid questions.

Aren't you the one that said you teach your daughters about sex by letting their uncles have sex with them?

Originally posted by fsu1jreed:

No, it isn't. But that's a nice myth.

Just because you stopped molesting children doesn't mean you're forgiven for it. Was BTK forgiven whene he stopped for all those years?

Aren't you the one that said you teach your daughters about sex by letting their uncles have sex with them?

No, actually, I've never said anything close to that. And if I did, it would be aunts. I'm all for teaching alternative lifestyles.

Then I must have confused you with another fundamentalist who is doing exactly what I mentioned: sending his daughters on practice dates with male relatives.

Sick? To most, yes; to the fundamentalist, it's merely God's way.

Of course, hounded sees "intelligent" design in man coexisting with dinos. So what can we really expect from him on a serious scientific level? If it's not in, or it is contradicted by the big science book known as the bible, then it's just not true.
This post was edited on 9/7 12:23 PM by NPRLoverif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Accusation? Recognition of admission.

Of course, doesn't hounded send his daughters out

This thread is full of stupid questions.

all of a sudden I'm feeling the need for any "new to the HROT" lurkers and posters to know that I am not a former pedophile. That is just not-cool.

I was, however, using sacrasm to continue my back-and-forth with Hounded....to show you all what a fake he can sometimes be. His opinions are many....but his answers to tough questions are oh so few.

I'll keep searching for answers Hounded....since you don't have any.
This post was edited on 9/7 12:22 PM by NC_Hawkif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Yes, NC, although I do believe that hounded has admitted to using the "Rod of God" on his rebellious brood.

"Spank me, daddy, spank me."

Just because you stopped molesting children doesn't mean you're forgiven for it. Was BTK forgiven whene he stopped for all those years?

I dont know, but according to Christianity, are you even allowed to dictate whether he's forgiven or not? I was born and raised a Lutheran, but while being affiliated with the Christian faith, Im rather confident that the original teachings and doctrine of the Christian church have been skewed since the days of Constatine. Christianity was used for political purposes back in those days.

So is this yet another lie from Hounded?

all of a sudden I'm feeling the need for any "new to the HROT" lurkers and posters that I am not a former pedophile. That is just not-cool.

Too late now. You should have read the wise words in my sig line.

I was, however, using sacrasm to continue my back-and-forth with Hounded....to show you all what a fake he can sometimes be.

That's not called sarcasm. It's called "lying."

Am I really a fake? I don't think so.

His opinions are many....but his answers to tough questions are oh so few.

Yeah, that's me. I don't ever answer or engage in any tough discussions.

Haven't you got the point yet? Your question is stupid because it starts out on a wrong premise.

I'll keep searching for answers Hounded....since you don't have any.

Keep searching.

BTW - I have answers, but sometimes the circumstances dictate not giving them to just anyone.

Yes, NC, although I do believe that hounded has admitted to using the "Rod of God" on his rebellious brood.

"Spank me, daddy, spank me."

oh my...LOL!

Originally posted by SalAunese:

I dont know, but according to Christianity, are you even allowed to dictate whether he's forgiven or not? I was born and raised a Lutheran, but while being affiliated with the Christian faith, Im rather confident that the original teachings and doctrine of the Christian church have been skewed since the days of Constatine. Christianity was used for political purposes back in those days.

Well, considering Constantine was only a few months ago, is that really saying all that much?

images

ADVERTISEMENT