ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Impact collision ejected the stuff of life

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:

Originally posted by tarheelbybirth:
And I say you are full of s***. After you have spent a few years living with a true alcoholic, who has to hit rock-bottom before turning their life around....who would give up his job, his family, everything to get another drink...after you have spent time with other kids trying to understand it isn't their fault that dad or mom acts like they do...after you have spent time with doctors trying to understand the why...then you can come on here and spout this nonsense. Until then, stick to your "dinosaurs lived with man theory" because you are truly clueless on this.

Silly person. Both of my grandfathers died because of alcoholism. I have even had alcoholics live with me. I've been doing this for twenty years and have seen the results.

I've even had several people move far beyond the simplistic Alcoholic Anonymous. They eventually found it inferior becauase they knew they were no longer alcohohlics like they used to be. Christ fixed that.

It is you who need to get a clue. Come into the light. There is a better way.
"And he was blinded by the light..."

Offer one of your former "alcoholics" a drink, HH. As I said earlier, drinking too much DOES NOT make you an alcoholic. If you don't already recognize that you are even more foolish than I thought (and that would be saying something). In fact, killling yourself with alcohol doesnt make you an alcoholic. Severely depressed people can kill themselves in many different ways. Alcoholics are genetically different - they handle alcohol differently than others. You are a clueless poser and I am done with this thread.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Originally posted by tarheelbybirth:
Offer one of your former "alcoholics" a drink, HH. As I said earlier, drinking too much DOES NOT make you an alcoholic. If you don't already recognize that you are even more foolish than I thought (and that would be saying something). In fact, killling yourself with alcohol doesnt make you an alcoholic. Severely depressed people can kill themselves in many different ways. Alcoholics are genetically different - they handle alcohol differently than others. You are a clueless poser and I am done with this thread.

It is you who are clueless. Look up the definition of an alcoholic smart guy. I know exactly what it is. I know many who were alcoholics who are no longer alcoholics. It's just like what the apostle Paul said.

1 Co 6:9-11 - 9Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11AND SUCH WERE SOME OF YOU; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God. - (NASB)

nyc_hawk,
It is logical to assume that you had 6 years of Greek, if you are making reference to a fraternity you were a part of while flunking out of college during 6 years of effort.

Here is a Greek word for you to learn
dero (äÝñù, 1194), from a root der—, “skin” (derma, “a skin,” cf. Eng., “dermatology”), primarily “to flay,” then “to beat, thrash or smite,” is used of the treatment of the servants of the owner of the vineyard by the husbandmen, in the parable in Matt. 21:35; Mark 12:3, 5; Luke 20:10-11
Vine, W. E., M. F. Unger, & W. White. Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Nashville: T. Nelson, 1996. Vol. 2, Page 53.

You just got owned and "beaten" by HoundedHawk like a "servant in a vinyard"
Better luck next time.

Ac 8:22-23 - 22“Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you. 23“For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity.” - (NASB)

This post was edited on 9/9 12:51 AM by tophermanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

nyc,

Since this got moved over to legendary threads I was not able to respond after I got back from some hospital visits. I replied to the first post.

You want me to translate your perverted Greek when you can't even translate one word on the end of what I wanted? Precious.

Here, I copied one of your perverted sayings.

ho aristos aphrodisia exeis pote estai sun tou sou kuni

How perverted. What? Did you learn this in grade school? You're telling me the best sex I have is where it will be with my dog? No more translation for a pervert. BTW - You may want to check the declension of kuni and other words. Also, your transliteration leaves much to be desired.

And, yes, I can parse verbs.

"Exeis" - Present, Indicative, Active, 2nd Person singular, from exo = I have/hold.

"Estai" - Future, Indicative, Middle, 3rd Person singular, from eimi = I am.

I think there have been enough insults going around. Why do you always have to mock? Why can't you just deal with the subject matter? You said Liddell & Scott is like the Bible of grammars yet you won't accept their primary definition. You say, "Sound it out." Any first year Greek student knows that just because we have a word that came from them doesn't mean it always means the same as our primary meaning. In this case it means it's their primary. How do I know? Look at the picture. It doesn't look anything like a crocodile. It looks like a lizard/dinosaur. Forgive me for using their primary meaning!

And I will give you a hint about the end of that word. I believe it is an adjective based on the name for another animal. I haven't looked it up though.

Here's some koine Greek for you. There's a link to transliterating since I see you have some difficulty with it despite your six years.

metanoaison oun apo taes kakias sou tautaes kai deaethaeti tou kuriou, ei apa aphethaesetai soi hae epinoia taes kardias sou, eis gar cholae pikria ka sundesmon adikias opw se onta.

This post was edited on 9/8 11:22 PM by HoundedHawk
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

First of all, I posted that your picture clearly said "crococile" and you told me I was wrong. That's kinda the main point here.

Second, you called me a liar and fraud. Wrong again.

Now you're flat out lying again about me not translating the second part of your little man with dinosaur picture. I did - gave it my best shot. I even pointed to the possibility of the dal- fragment at the end meaning thunder, which seems to be what you're getting at.

I have to say I am surprised that you do actually know some Greek (or at the very least can use a lexicon); and yes, those verbs are parsed correctly. No wrong declension on my part though - kuni is in the dative singlular feminine - used here as a dative of means - as in with your dog (meant as dog of a mother, borrowed from Aristophanes - the king of Athenian vulgarity). The other words are correct as well.

Your translation is a little off though - pote used adverbially with the future tense means 'ever' - as in the best sex you'll ever have will be with your dog/mother.

I changed the NUs in the second insult to latin Ns - (I mean biveiv looks and feels a lot more correct than binein, huh? - not to mention -ovta) - but I'm sure you got the meaning the first time.

I'm interested to see what the unabridged Oxford lexicon has to say on the matter, but I am more than willing to concede than you're not the ignorant schmuck I thought you were, at least in terms of Greek. Being such a great Christian and all I'm sure you can admit you were wrong when you called me a liar and a fraud. Flamer I can accept.

Originally posted by topherman:
nyc_hawk,
It is logical to assume that you had 6 years of Greek, if you are making reference to a fraternity you were a part of while flunking out of college during 6 years of effort.

Here is a Greek word for you to learn
dero (äÝñù, 1194), from a root der—, “skin” (derma, “a skin,” cf. Eng., “dermatology”), primarily “to flay,” then “to beat, thrash or smite,” is used of the treatment of the servants of the owner of the vineyard by the husbandmen, in the parable in Matt. 21:35; Mark 12:3, 5; Luke 20:10-11
Vine, W. E., M. F. Unger, & W. White. Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Nashville: T. Nelson, 1996. Vol. 2, Page 53.

You just got owned and "beaten" by HoundedHawk like a "servant in a vinyard"
Better luck next time.

Ac 8:22-23 - 22“Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you. 23“For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity.” - (NASB)

This post was edited on 9/9 12:51 AM by topherman
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Has there ever, in the history of the entire rivals network, been a more transparent second handle?

Originally posted by nyc_hawk:

First of all, I posted that your picture clearly said "crococile" and you told me I was wrong. That's kinda the main point here.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what a "crococile" is. ;)

I think you missed my point. I was primarily saying you were wrong for calling me wrong about the primary definition being "lizard."

Second, you called me a liar and fraud.

I said I THINK you're lying. My suspicion was probably wrong. You have had some Greek. I am a little surprised at the years. You wrote it as if an American was speaking odd Greek. Surely you can admit the order of subjects, verbs, is not a normal pattern one usually find when reading.

Now you're flat out lying again about me not translating the second part of your little man with dinosaur picture. I did - gave it my best shot. I even pointed to the possibility of the dal- fragment at the end meaning thunder, which seems to be what you're getting at.

I am not lying. My point is more that you didn't/can't do it, not that you didn't try. Reread the previous post. I said, "You want me to translate your perverted Greek when you can't even translate one word on the end of what I wanted?" How is that a lie?

I have to say I am surprised that you do actually know some Greek (or at the very least can use a lexicon); and yes, those verbs are parsed correctly.

The truth is that I didn't even use an analytical lexcion for those very simple verbs. Why be surprised? How could I have a masters in Biblical Studies and being working on a doctorate if I haven't had Greek?

No wrong declension on my part though - kuni is in the dative singlular feminine - used here as a dative of means - as in with your dog (meant as dog of a mother, borrowed from Aristophanes - the king of Athenian vulgarity).

Maybe we have a problem since my Greek is koine and your's appears to be classical. If "kuni" is dative then why do you have "TOU SOU kuni"? Something is wrong there. It appears you're mixing the genitive and dative.

Your translation is a little off though - pote used adverbially with the future tense means 'ever' - as in the best sex you'll ever have will be with your dog/mother.

Yes, I saw that. I didn't give a word for word translation. I thought your combination of verb tenses was odd.

I changed the NUs in the second insult to latin Ns - (I mean biveiv looks and feels a lot more correct than binein, huh? - not to mention -ovta) - but I'm sure you got the meaning the first time.

Yeah, I saw that and understood what you were trying to say. Just looks like bad transliteration to me. Oh well. I thought you were just typing a "v" because it looks closest to the Greek nu.

I'm interested to see what the unabridged Oxford lexicon has to say on the matter, but I am more than willing to concede than you're not the ignorant schmuck I thought you were, at least in terms of Greek. Being such a great Christian and all I'm sure you can admit you were wrong when you called me a liar and a fraud. Flamer I can accept.

Again, I said I think you're a liar. I didn't say you were one.

Second, I did call you a fraud. I will back off on that. I see you do know some Greek.

Third, perhaps you can back off on the multitude of other insults you have said about me like "moron," "dolt," "jackass," etc.

Has there ever, in the history of the entire rivals network, been a more transparent second handle?
[/QUOTE]

Whoa! Whoa!

I stand before God and plainly proclaim that this poster is not me. I have NEVER had a second handle posting.

My Greek was 4 years of HS and 4 semesters in college - entirely Attic Greek except for Homer and Sapho. We were supposed to do mostly New Testament my senior year (it was a Jesuit school after all), but a bunch of Latin guys who had done a Greek I/II course our junior year joined Greek IV so we did Plato instead. The 4 semesters in college were a coast job on my part - except for the Sapho, with which I struggled immensely.

In any case, I never touched any Greek past ~300 BCE. If I recall correctly, in Attic Greek you can't mix means and possession in the dative, hence the simple GenPoss tou sou. As for word placement - are there really hard and fast rules for anything? ; )

For the word in your lizard/crocodile/whatever picture, I did translate it, however correct or incorrect it may be. It does look to me like para or a para-derived noun or verb, but in any case, it's been 8 years, so why you don't you just fill me in?

Whoa! Whoa!

I stand before God and plainly proclaim that this poster is not me. I have NEVER had a second handle posting.

Must be someone else then. Someone making their first ever post on the Rivals network in the Iowa Legendary Threads forum, citing the NASB the exact same way you do. No relation to you I'm sure.

Whoa! Whoa!

Must be someone else then. Someone making their first ever post on the Rivals network in the Iowa Legendary Threads forum, citing the NASB the exact same way you do. No relation to you I'm sure.

Yes it is someone else. Looks like they use the Libronix system like me. And it's not the way I post verses. I always bold the reference and italicize the verse.

It does look to me like para or a para-derived noun or verb, but in any case, it's been 8 years, so why you don't you just fill me in?

I think it should be translated "Leopard Lizard."

In any case, I never touched any Greek past ~300 BCE. If I recall correctly, in Attic Greek you can't mix means and possession in the dative, hence the simple GenPoss tou sou. As for word placement - are there really hard and fast rules for anything?

I see. In koine it's most common for the article to match the dative in this case with the sou in the genitive following.

You're right. Greek doesn't have fast rules in that area. The most common rule is that it unfortunately won't probably follow the English. I translate some Greek every week and I still get tired annoyed when it kicks my butt.

Well, it's good to have more people on the board with some Greek knowledge.

I hope in the future we can each fully allow the bold convictions of the other without questioning our respective abilities. Though our paradigms for life may be vastly apart it seems fairly certain neither of us is uneducated or stupid.

Just a tid bit of information for HoundedHawk and nyc_hawk. This was, indeed, the first time I have felt the desire to post a message. In fact I am new to the site. I have only had a couple semesters of Greek in College from a few years ago and I have lost most of it. I will be taking more courses within the next year though and i found your discussion interesting. And I am sorry, but it just seemed like HoundedHawk was running circles around you nyc_hawk. Take comfort in that you do indeed know more Greek than me at present.

By the way, I did quote from libronix software. Although my version of choice is the NKJV, I thought the choice of the "NASB" translation was apt as more of a pun because of HoundedHawk's usage.

Too bad about the truth to the "flamer" comment.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

This post was edited on 9/9 7:01 PM by tophermanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 9/9 7:24 PM by tophermanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 9/9 7:25 PM by tophermanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

This thread is nine pages of

A
B
A
A
B
B
B
A
B
A
B
C
A
C
B
A
D
A
B
C
C
A
A
B
C
A
B
C
B
C
B
A
B
F
C
A
C
B
A
G
C
A
B
C
C
A
B
C
B
C
B
A
C
A
C
A
B
A
B
A
B
C
A
B
B
J

But I still went through all nine pages and tried to give a like to every name I recognized.

Wait a minute?....I gotta ask...if life has been around for millions of years, and came to earth via a huge comet....why in the heck would God send us his son just a mere two thousand years ago to help us understand his Dad's role in the Universe....and how he made man in his image and all....???

Was he just tinkering around with the dinosaurs, sea-life, and stuff before he was ready to go ahead and "make" man??

If this is true....it sure does make the Bible look like a really good selling book comprised of total fiction.

About time you face reality.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
dn7961-1_700.jpg

Millions of kilograms of fine dust particles and water and a "surprisingly high" amount of organic molecules sprayed into space when NASA crashed its Deep Impact spacecraft into Comet 9P/Tempel 1 on 4 July 2005, reveal a trio of new studies.

The observations bolster theories that comets may have seeded Earth with the raw materials for life and suggest they may be sponge-like – rather than hardened – at their cores.

On 4 July, about 80 telescopes on Earth and in space trained their sights on Comet Tempel 1 when a 370-kilogram copper impactor was sent hurtling into its path. Just after the smash, a bright vapour plume spewed from the surface at about 5 kilometres per second, followed quickly by a stream of particles that spread into a cone.

The cone appeared to remain attached to the comet's surface for about 22 hours before separating into a detached arc. Researchers used this gravitational attraction to estimate the mass and density of the comet's main body, or nucleus. They found that the 72 trillion kilogram-nucleus was extremely porous, with as much as 80% of its volume taken up by empty space.

"That tells me there is no solid layer all the way down to the centre," says Mike A'Hearn, the mission's principal investigator at the University of Maryland in College Park, US. He says he had expected that the ice might become denser towards the core of the nucleus, but that instead "probably all the way in, ice is all in the form of tiny grains".
A touch crumbly

"It’s like a sponge, with a lot of cavities," agrees Horst Uwe Keller, an astronomer at the Max-Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany. He observed the event with Europe's Rosetta spacecraft and says the discovery confirms previous observations suggesting other comets are also porous. "When you touch it, it just crumbles under your hands."

Observers estimate the impact released about 5 million kilograms of water from beneath the comet's surface and between two and five times as much dust. There was so much dust, in fact, that mission members have not been able to see the impact crater with the high-resolution camera on the mission's flyby spacecraft, about 500 km away.

To add to the problem, that camera was malfunctioning but now image-processing techniques may have revealed a glimpse of the crater and team members may release the image later on Wednesday.
Building blocks

The team estimates the impact blasted away a crater about 100 metres wide and up to 30 m deep. Crucially, organic molecules were among the material ejected. Neither the full range of molecules nor their abundances have been determined yet, but researchers say they have found a surprisingly high amount of methyl cyanide, a molecule seen in large quantities in another comet.

This supports theories that comets may have brought water and the building blocks of life to Earth, and the team hopes to eventually "identify all the species comets brought in abundance to early Earth", says A'Hearn.

The observations have also apparently ruled out another theory – that impacts with other objects may be responsible for the occasional stream of gas and dust seen coming off of comets. Although Tempel 1's surface is pockmarked with craters ranging from 40 m to 400 m across, astronomers watching the comet both before and after the impact noticed that it released the streams relatively often in spurts of activity apparently triggered by sunlight.

"I don’t think the hypothesis that outbursts are caused by impacts is really valid," says A'Hearn. "Probably comets undergo outbursts like this very frequently and the fact that everyone was looking intensively [at this comet] for an extended period allowed us to see phenomena that are probably common and weren’t seen before."

Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1118923)

My God............It's full of Stars..............
I had no idea @fsu1jreed has been an HROTer for 14+ years. That is all.

The Lockeroom used to invade another site every now and then (though it might have been the other way around)..............this was one of the the sites and I've hung around ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT