ADVERTISEMENT

Defending Purdue

Hendy hawk

HR Heisman
Aug 21, 2002
I did not get to watch us play Purdue earlier in the season.
Our defense and rebounding have really helped us in the last 10 or so games.
We struggled some today rebounding offensively and defensively today.
How do we counter the two big guys tomorrow to rebound and get the breaks going for us.

Reactions: jonesy5960
Purdue is well-rounded on offense. Ivey, Edey and Williams are likely to get their usual output. I think you just have to hope that Stefanovic and the other guards have an off-day beyond the Arc.

Need to spread the court and force Edey and Williams to guard the Murray twins in open space
nice post - I was thinking we might need to be Rudy the Rabbit today and have Joey-T, Perk, and AU give them '40 minutes of Hell' as well... ;)

Rebounding and staying out of foul trouble are the 2 keys for me. If either of Murrays or Rebraca get into foul trouble, we are in for a long day. Gotta win the rebounding battle against a much bigger team, tough row to hoe today.

Reactions: Sheahawk
Get Williams into foul trouble and continue to get him to foul/the refs to call fouls on him in the 2nd half.

That's the main key. He is a big interior key for them, but they put heavy maintenance on him because of his conditioning. If he is fresh in the 2nd half and playing worry-free from fouls, then yeah we're gonna struggle to score inside once again and are gonna need another ridiculous 3 pt shooting night.

Get Williams into foul trouble and continue to get him to foul/the refs to call fouls on him in the 2nd half.

That's the main key. He is a big interior key for them, but they put heavy maintenance on him because of his conditioning. If he is fresh in the 2nd half and playing worry-free from fouls, then yeah we're gonna struggle to score inside once again and are gonna need another ridiculous 3 pt shooting night.
I don't believe conditioning is an issue for Williams like it used to be. He can play 30-35 minutes a game.

@BoilerN - what are some chinks in your armor? Based on some BT networks musings last nite, maybe your guard play? tia
PG's are smaller, prone to being backed down in the post. MSU made a living doing that. Been lacking a consistent 3 point threat of late tbh. Defense isn't that good, though it has looked better last two games. I think Purdue is horrible at blocking out on both ends of the floor. Turnovers turnovers turnovers. If ivey gets frustrated, he will try to take over and it will become ivey va everyone. Not good when that happens. He sat the final 10 minutes of a game in February because he became super selfish.

I can't put my finger on it, but sometimes the Purdue offense just looks out of sync. It's still good, but leaves something to be desired. That's my honest assessment of Purdue weaknesses.

Iowa hasn't done a lot of it, but if they Front the post with a Murray and make it difficult to make entry pass, then they can get more stops from turnovers on post feeds than the will likely ever get in stops once the ball is in to the post. Fran has to play both Murrays together more than he typically does, as long as they can stay out of foul trouble. Kris needs to play smart and concede the bunnies vs contesting everything.

Zach Edey hands are so-so---- making the post feed hard for him can cause a lot of turnovers

Williams has better hands and harder to get turnovers and don't need to front him as much...if Iowa comes with the double after he gets ball, he will pass to open guy, but he seems to think he''s magic johnson, so Iowa wings can play the passing lane and intercept some of the passes.

Maybe some joshO and playing Williams/Edey straight up would work if Iowa gets into foul trouble. Fran hasn't done that much---maybe because the offensive movement gets messed up..

I don't think Purdue is shooting 3ball as well right now as they were earlier in season. So if they don't make the open 3s out of kickouts from double teams, that changes everything.

I did not get to watch us play Purdue earlier in the season.
Our defense and rebounding have really helped us in the last 10 or so games.
We struggled some today rebounding offensively and defensively today.
How do we counter the two big guys tomorrow to rebound and get the breaks going for us.
I agree. As good as the Hawks were on offense, that was probably the least effective that the Hawks have looked defensively and on the boards in the past month. TJD did whatever he wanted inside particularly when Iowa was playing zone when they also had trouble securing the rebound. Iowa lost the rebounding battle by 6 against a team that they beat on the boards last time they played. I really hope this game was an anomaly and that we see more of the aggressive play we've been more accustomed to of late. If not it's going to be tough to come out of today's game with the title. Tough matchups all around for the Hawks in this game so they've got to come out and be locked in defensively against a team that does tend to turn it over a lot.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Iowa hasn't done a lot of it, but if they Front the post with a Murray and make it difficult to make entry pass, then they can get more stops from turnovers on post feeds than the will likely ever get in stops once the ball is in to the post. Fran has to play both Murrays together more than he typically does, as long as they can stay out of foul trouble. Kris needs to play smart and concede the bunnies vs contesting everything.

Zach Edey hands are so-so---- making the post feed hard for him can cause a lot of turnovers

Williams has better hands and harder to get turnovers and don't need to front him as much...if Iowa comes with the double after he gets ball, he will pass to open guy, but he seems to think he''s magic johnson, so Iowa wings can play the passing lane and intercept some of the passes.

Maybe some joshO and playing Williams/Edey straight up would work if Iowa gets into foul trouble. Fran hasn't done that much---maybe because the offensive movement gets messed up..

I don't think Purdue is shooting 3ball as well right now as they were earlier in season. So if they don't make the open 3s out of kickouts from double teams, that changes everything.
You do know that you have just basically guaranteed that Purdue shoots 50%+ from beyond the arc right?

PG's are smaller, prone to being backed down in the post. MSU made a living doing that. Been lacking a consistent 3 point threat of late tbh. Defense isn't that good, though it has looked better last two games. I think Purdue is horrible at blocking out on both ends of the floor. Turnovers turnovers turnovers. If ivey gets frustrated, he will try to take over and it will become ivey va everyone. Not good when that happens. He sat the final 10 minutes of a game in February because he became super selfish.

I can't put my finger on it, but sometimes the Purdue offense just looks out of sync. It's still good, but leaves something to be desired. That's my honest assessment of Purdue weaknesses.
thanks for that!

Reactions: BoilerN
You do know that you have just basically guaranteed that Purdue shoots 50%+ from beyond the arc right?

2081238b-684a-4133-be24-6f4318a92ccc_text.gif

Take Williams out of the game, double him quickly and if they make outside shots we lose. Don't let him beat us.

Great game today and plan against Williams.
I would take him on our side if I could though.
Great player in my eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT