ADVERTISEMENT

Defense is 2-0, an appreciation thread

iowaflash

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2006
I know we win as a team, and lose as a team, but in the midst of all the Hawkeye depression in the first two games, I want to devote a huge appreciation thread to the defense and special team units covering punt returns/kickoff returns, as well as our MVP punter, Tory Taylor….as anticipated, these players have come back from last year even better, than our 10 win season a year ago. I see no weaknesses, except for the fact that so far you’ve been asked to be on the field too much. No complaints at all about our starting field position, especially after continuing to be opportunistic in grabbing turnovers. What other team in their first two games has 2 safeties and 2 blocked punts?

Tonight I am raising a glass to these players, and our most valuable coaches, Parker and Woods, for getting these kids ready to be their best in 2022.

Many on offense should be recognized for the work they’ve put in as well, which will hopefully translate to more success in the coming games. One good guy has tried hard, but his best games are behind him now. The hope for the future will rest with the next chapter of QB1, either Padilla or Labas, and BOTH will use arm and legs to find ways to score and otherwise keep moving the ball. We only need an average QB1.

Admittedly we are not done in our team readiness for the conference schedule, but God willing there will be an epiphany, that leads the offense to truly playing complimentary football, so that one particular phase is never overly abused.

GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
Nice thoughts. Yes the defense is playing super as are special teams. Hard to play hard, effective defense for 80-90 plays a game. Let's see if the offense can score 14 points a game

Reactions: iowaflash
It’s good, not great. SDSU’s offense is atrocious and Iowa State rushed for over 100 and Dekkers looked comfortable most of the day. Credit the Iowa D for putting out some red zone fires getting turnovers

It’s good, not great. SDSU’s offense is atrocious and Iowa State rushed for over 100 and Dekkers looked comfortable most of the day. Credit the Iowa D for putting out some red zone fires getting turnovers
Possession time greatly favored ISU also, which means QB1 couldn’t keep offense on the field long enough to give defense a break. There was one stretch where in 6 drives, we had only 1 first down……

• Haha
Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT