ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive line

dbrocket

HR MVP
Jan 5, 2010
I was listening to a podcast in which they were talking about our defensive line and found myself trying to list all the guys I see as starting quality and/or potential breakout candidates at DL. It made my head spin a little, so I looked at the roster and my takeaway is this: Holy shit.

Guys who could start and/or potential breakout players for 2022 (in the order they appear on the roster):

45 Deontae Craig
49 Ethan Hurkett
85 Logan Lee
91 Lukas Van Ness
92 John Waggoner
94 Yahya Black
95 Aaron Graves
99 Noah Shannon
13 Joe Evans

Other than Aaron Graves, every single one of those guys has at least flashed as a potential star player in at least one aspect of their game. And I am including him on the list of guys I think are starter quality and potential breakout players *as a true freshman.* And he might be the best of them, really soon.

And there are a few more guys that I could see as starting quality and potential star players down the road, but who I don't think are ready yet:

90 Brian Allen
97 Caden Crawford
98 Chris Reames
48 Max Llewellyn
86 Jeff Bowie

Here's the thing about that list. Caden Crawford looked great at the open practice in Spring. He looked starter-ish, but he's young and it was one practice, so I'm discounting what I saw. Jeff Bowie is also super young and talented. And I think I've already heard Reames and Llewellyn are potential rotation guys this year, so I'm probably under rating them (I just haven't seen it yet for myself).

Anyway, the TL/DR version is that our DL is stacked and they're gonna wreck shop this year.

I hesitate to say an embarrassment of riches however maybe better stated a 'strong, flexible' position group with plenty of talent and upward trajectory. Depth is huge and gives us the ability to maximize matchups and stay fresh late in games which we have seen bite us in the past, especially during Clayborn's time here when we basically used 4-6 guys on DLine and nothing was left in the tank in the 4th q.

Reactions: dbrocket
I was listening to a podcast in which they were talking about our defensive line and found myself trying to list all the guys I see as starting quality and/or potential breakout candidates at DL. It made my head spin a little, so I looked at the roster and my takeaway is this: Holy shit.

Guys who could start and/or potential breakout players for 2022 (in the order they appear on the roster):

45 Deontae Craig
49 Ethan Hurkett
85 Logan Lee
91 Lukas Van Ness
92 John Waggoner
94 Yahya Black
95 Aaron Graves
99 Noah Shannon
13 Joe Evans

Other than Aaron Graves, every single one of those guys has at least flashed as a potential star player in at least one aspect of their game. And I am including him on the list of guys I think are starter quality and potential breakout players *as a true freshman.* And he might be the best of them, really soon.

And there are a few more guys that I could see as starting quality and potential star players down the road, but who I don't think are ready yet:

90 Brian Allen
97 Caden Crawford
98 Chris Reames
48 Max Llewellyn
86 Jeff Bowie

Here's the thing about that list. Caden Crawford looked great at the open practice in Spring. He looked starter-ish, but he's young and it was one practice, so I'm discounting what I saw. Jeff Bowie is also super young and talented. And I think I've already heard Reames and Llewellyn are potential rotation guys this year, so I'm probably under rating them (I just haven't seen it yet for myself).

Anyway, the TL/DR version is that our DL is stacked and they're gonna wreck shop this year.
What about 55 Pittman?

Reactions: BBHawk
What about 55 Pittman?
Solid group. Hurkett got hurt early on and had played well. Evans and Wags have been pretty solid. Shannon has had a few moments but been pretty average up to now. I have seen nothing from Black that is anything to write home about. Lee and Van Ness have shown to be studs. Craig hasn't had much of a chance to really show what he can do. I love the enthusiasm and there is a ton of potential there but most haven't shown to be better than average as of now. Hoping Graves is the unblockable wild man that we hear about.

Solid group. Hurkett got hurt early on and had played well. Evans and Wags have been pretty solid. Shannon has had a few moments but been pretty average up to now. I have seen nothing from Black that is anything to write home about. Lee and Van Ness have shown to be studs. Craig hasn't had much of a chance to really show what he can do. I love the enthusiasm and there is a ton of potential there but most haven't shown to be better than average as of now. Hoping Graves is the unblockable wild man that we hear about.
Sounding like this season may change your thoughts on Shannon and Black.

Loaded. Some of those guys will only use 3 years of eligibility. Lots of Sunday players. Iowa should be able to stuff the run and get pressure in base D. With experience at LB they should blitz better than years past. Not sure the best D Iowa had but I hope it is on par with 2004.

What about 55 Pittman?
Dochterman broke down the 2 deeps for Iowa on the Athletic. He said with how deep this team is in normal years guys like Pittman and Llewellyn would be in the 2 deeps. Those 2 along with Graves are talented enough to see the field but buried on the deep chart as of now.

Are you Jen Psaki? You never addressed my question about Pittman, which you replied to, and then just started spewing about others on the DL. Some of which contradicts posts from others on this board.

Dochterman broke down the 2 deeps for Iowa on the Athletic. He said with how deep this team is in normal years guys like Pittman and Llewellyn would be in the 2 deeps. Those 2 along with Graves are talented enough to see the field but buried on the deep chart as of now.
Thank you! That's what I suspected.

ADVERTISEMENT