ADVERTISEMENT

Deion just told all of CU's players to hit the portal

Its a business now.

You know darn well he will be bringing in a whole new team/coaches. He has no loyalty to the team he is taking over and if it comes down to one of them or "his guys"....no question he is going to go with his.

If he turns Colorado around he will be leaving again to a top place in the next four years.

Its a business now.

You know darn well he will be bringing in a whole new team/coaches. He has no loyalty to the team he is taking over and if it comes down to one of them or "his guys"....no question he is going to go with his.

If he turns Colorado around he will be leaving again to a top place in the next four years.
I've owned/ran businesses most of my life. I have come into situations where I acquired employees that were not mine. I would never have used the first day to tell everyone to leave before meeting with them and finding out what they did, how they did it, and whether they were a fit for the new company. On top of it, a lot of those players moved from other places to play there. It's really pretty reprehensible.

Have you seen Colorado play? They are bad. He may be on to something in telling the current roster to move along.

Reactions: rfgiowa
Yeah. It was.

Sanders told a room full of Colorado players. “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”
Yes he was strongly encouraging pretty much every player to leave. He wouldn't mind likely if half the scholarship players left.

I'm not sure how this works long term as his entire roster would seem to be every man for himself. But it is going to be entertaining one way or another.

He knows how to communicate with today's players. Something middle/old aged white guys in Iowa clearly don't know how to do.
giphy.gif

He essentially did say exactly that.

Sanders told a room full of Colorado players. “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”

Well if that is what he said then he didnt tell them all to go portal. He said "get ready" but that is not the same if they are valued

Yeah. It was.

He was motivating them by saying what once was excepted no longer is. If you don't like that, hit the portal. He probably could have worded it better, but I don't think he wants the whole team to hit the portal. That would set them back 5 years.

Last edited:

"essentially" DOES NOT EQUAL "exactly". You essentially agreed

I wouldn't want him as my coach but I also didn't really take what he said too literally. Seemed to me it was more of him saying things are going to change in a major way and they're going to be challenged and if they're not ready for that, the portal is that way. JMO.

Copy and pasted from a different site:

A source at Colorado tells Josh Newberg that over 200 recruits and portal transfers have already reached out in the last 12 hours. Some of them are 4 and 5-star caliber players. Deion Sanders has a chance to make some noise before Signing Day. NIL money is also rolling in, Josh is told.

Well if that is what he said then he didnt tell them all to go portal. He said "get ready" but that is not the same if they are valued
Finish the sentence. He said " “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

Sanders told a room full of Colorado players. “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the moref room you make.”
That is a challenge. Disposable/replaceable

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkhockey
Would you listen to the whole thing or read the whole statement to the players. He had them repeat his two key words of what he is looking for out of them if they stay. Smart and Tough, not much to ask out of players. Knee jerk reactions from a small snippet. He got their attention quickly and then soft shoed later.

"Do whatever you're gonna get"?
Ya, he's just such a great communicator. At least everyone is agreed on what he meant.

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
There was no portal free agency at the time, but Hayden Fry took a similar mindset with him when he arrived in Iowa City. And some of you surely will remember that, after Iowa played well but lost in Hayden's first season in Iowa City, he said, "The first player I see smile will get busted in the face." Rather strong words, eh? LOL

What Hayden was saying was that, after 20 years of losing, the first thing you have to win is the attitude battle. Losers think like losers, and you don't play the game just to look good and come close. You play to win, but before you can win, you have to think like a winner. Did anyone, including the players, really believe Hayden was going to punch players in the face?

So many people just don't get what leadership, in any context, is all about. Which is why we find so many poor "leaders" in leadership positions in every phase of human endeavor.

Hayden Fry was a great leader. Deion Sanders is a great leader. Fry built a nationally respected football program in a place where almost no one thought he could. Sanders will do the same. This is just the beginning. Which is why I wish Sanders were doing his thing in Iowa City instead of Boulder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT