ADVERTISEMENT

Deion just told all of CU's players to hit the portal

There are a few perspectives to take here ... one is the take of a parent ... and the other is the take of a competitor.

To a parent, what Deion said was a complete dick-move.

To a competitor ... in a tough-guy sport like football, it was a 100% challenge to their manhood.

Guys who answer the challenge and stick around, they will be Deion's guys then. They will have earned his respect. The rest ... who cares.

When Ferentz took over ... there was quite a radical culture shift in the Iowa program. While Fry always had flash ... his guys didn't always exhibit consistency. Ferentz's embrace-the-grind, developmental philosophy is arguably one of the biggest reasons why a small-market program like ours had enjoyed such consistency with regard to winning football games.

It strikes me that Deion is trying to similarly separate the wheat from the chaff.

Is there a better way to do it? Probably ... but there are multiple strategies to accomplish the same thing ... and they each bring with them different "side-effects." I think that there is a method to Deion's madness ... and I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing. I'm just happy that my kid wasn't in that room.

I mean, that’s not exactly what he said….I took it more as a motivational speech….similar to “those who stay will be champions” just not worded quite so well.

That’s the attitude you need to have to flip an awful culture. “I don’t care how you did it the past two decades….we sucked….we’re doing it differently now, so either get on the bus or hit the portal and leave…”

Make no mistake he wasn’t hired to continue the “Colorado Way”…he was hired as a change agent.

Reactions: pahawk1 and blhawk
There are a few perspectives to take here ... one is the take of a parent ... and the other is the take of a competitor.

To a parent, what Deion said was a complete dick-move.

To a competitor ... in a tough-guy sport like football, it was a 100% challenge to their manhood.

Guys who answer the challenge and stick around, they will be Deion's guys then. They will have earned his respect. The rest ... who cares.

When Ferentz took over ... there was quite a radical culture shift in the Iowa program. While Fry always had flash ... his guys didn't always exhibit consistency. Ferentz's embrace-the-grind, developmental philosophy is arguably one of the biggest reasons why a small-market program like ours had enjoyed such consistency with regard to winning football games.

It strikes me that Deion is trying to similarly separate the wheat from the chaff.

Is there a better way to do it? Probably ... but there are multiple strategies to accomplish the same thing ... and they each bring with them different "side-effects." I think that there is a method to Deion's madness ... and I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing. I'm just happy that my kid wasn't in that room.
So what you and I think a lot of people on here who agree with him are saying that it's OK to shit on somebody else's kid. As long as it's not mine I'm cool with it.

He knows how to communicate with today's players. Something middle/old aged white guys in Iowa clearly don't know how to do.
Really……Did you see the picture of KF surrounded by his players after the Minnesota game. KF and most of his staff are good people, Loyal people who aren’t going to throw anyone under. the bus. Kids today want to be coached hard by someone who cares about them as a person first …..KF is a lot of things but he cares about his guys and they care about him….I think he communicates just fine…

Really……Did you see the picture of KF surrounded by his players after the Minnesota game. KF and most of his staff are good people, Loyal people who aren’t going to throw anyone under. the bus. Kids today want to be coached hard by someone who cares about them as a person first …..KF is a lot of things but he cares about his guys and they care about him….I think he communicates just fine…
Yeah the picture of Kirk celebrating a win with players (predominately white players) does not convince me he is a great communicator with today's athletes. I never said he wasn't a good person. Glad a picture tells you how great of a communicator Kirk and his staff are. Nice try though.

I believe the message is what they have been doing is not acceptable to him so if they can't or won't do better then hit the portal
Mind reading 101. What you believe is not what he said so unless you can truly mind read then you simply decided to make up something that you BELIEVE would be a less confrontational statement.

Copy and pasted from a different site:

A source at Colorado tells Josh Newberg that over 200 recruits and portal transfers have already reached out in the last 12 hours. Some of them are 4 and 5-star caliber players. Deion Sanders has a chance to make some noise before Signing Day. NIL money is also rolling in, Josh is told.
This is the correct take.

sanders wants 4-5 star guys to transfer to CO this off season. He could land 20 new experienced skilled upper class man players

Don’t necessarily care for his message to the current players but I hope he’s successful in giving Buffalo fans something to cheer for.

Telling people to leave to make room for others is a directive, not a challenge.

I agree and think it can be a dick move. That said, coaches these days don't get many years to start producing or get let go. He knows the current squad isn't going to keep his job, so he needs new players. In the old days a coach wouldn't do this because the way to fill the roster was to get high school kids, which is a challenge. But now he ca reload via the portal. He's taking a chance that he can get enough guys to fill the spots. I'm guessing he'll do just fine getting players from the portal. So while I think it's a dick move, it might be the right move for a head coach wanting to keep his job for more than 2-3 years.

Reactions: Bishop1971
"When people see this, they may say he wasn't really a nice guy, he was a tyrant. Nah that's you, because you've never won anything."
- Michael Jordan.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Pretty tough talk for a cornerback that used the matador tackling technique most of the time. Great athlete but his philosophy was not to take on big ass blockers and runners but live for the next play. :cool:
Every tackle was a business decision for neon and he elected not to make the tackle more times than he made the tackle.

Reactions: uihawk82
Every tackle was a business decision for neon and he elected not to make the tackle more times than he made the tackle.
Keyboard warriors criticize a Hall Famer, 2x super bowl champion, 6x All-pro, 8x pro bowler, 1994 defensive player of the year, 1990 all decade team member, 100th anniversary all time team member, Jim Thorpe award winner, 2x all-American, a guy who has his number retired at Florida State, career .263 hitter, 39 homeruns, 186 stolen bases.

Sanders is the only man to play in both a Super Bowl and a World Series, to hit an MLB home run and score an NFL touchdown in the same week, and to have both a reception and an interception in the Super Bowl. He is one of seven players to win back-to-back Super Bowls with different teams. He is also one of two players to score an NFL touchdown six different ways (interception return, punt return, kickoff return, receiving, rushing, and fumble recovery).

But sure you all think he is soft.

• Love
Reactions: weeterkane
So what you and I think a lot of people on here who agree with him are saying that it's OK to shit on somebody else's kid. As long as it's not mine I'm cool with it.
Well ... that's not really what I was saying, right?

My first sentence indicated that there are TWO main perceptions ... that of the parents and that of the players.

I acknowledge that I would be pissed if it happened to my kid ... however, that doesn't mean that my kid would mind. It's a parent's natural instinct (usually) to try to protect their kid. However, on the flip side ... a kid going off to college is entering the world as a young adult. They're entering a stage where they also need to learn to fend for themselves.

That's part of the reason why the disciplined approach of a Kirk or a Deion could go a long way to positively shaping a young man to be successful in this world.

The last thing we need is over-sheltered kids with helicopter parents that attempt to fight all of their battles.

So my point ... as a parent ... I have a knee-jerk reaction. However, it doesn't mean that knee-jerk reaction is "correct."

Could Deion have challenged the current CU players in a more proactive way? Sure could. However, does that mean that what he did won't work ... nah.

Deion announced his son as the starting QB, even though he couldn't even officially enter the portal yet.

Well ... that's not really what I was saying, right?

My first sentence indicated that there are TWO main perceptions ... that of the parents and that of the players.

I acknowledge that I would be pissed if it happened to my kid ... however, that doesn't mean that my kid would mind. It's a parent's natural instinct (usually) to try to protect their kid. However, on the flip side ... a kid going off to college is entering the world as a young adult. They're entering a stage where they also need to learn to fend for themselves.

That's part of the reason why the disciplined approach of a Kirk or a Deion could go a long way to positively shaping a young man to be successful in this world.

The last thing we need is over-sheltered kids with helicopter parents that attempt to fight all of their battles.

So my point ... as a parent ... I have a knee-jerk reaction. However, it doesn't mean that knee-jerk reaction is "correct."

Could Deion have challenged the current CU players in a more proactive way? Sure could. However, does that mean that what he did won't work ... nah.
Yeah. It kinda was. See how succinct you can be?

Reactions: blhawk
Would you listen to the whole thing or read the whole statement to the players. He had them repeat his two key words of what he is looking for out of them if they stay. Smart and Tough, not much to ask out of players. Knee jerk reactions from a small snippet. He got their attention quickly and then soft shoed later.
Most of the local news was about this hire. They showed clip of him speaking to team and I heard him say smart and tough but also fast and character which he said and team repeated. Similar to what Kirk would say minus the fast part. He also said he'd try to get them to quit which I've had coaches say to me as a way of making the expectation clear that we are gonna work our asses off.

It seems like there is some Deion hate for whatever reason (I could venture a guess). He seems to be a very interesting combo of old and new school. CU had 2 winning seasons in past 16 so he's inheriting a MUCH worse situation than Kirk did at Iowa. It will be interesting to to look back on this thread in 3-4 years. He will be able to recruit at least. I will say those players were hanging on his every word. If I was a player who'd just gone 1-11 I'd be pretty excited

Last edited:
this kinda thing happens all the time, usually a new coach meets with the players in private and tells them they don't see much playing time for them.

Deion just sped up the process.

Reactions: blhawk
Deion announced his son as the starting QB, even though he couldn't even officially enter the portal yet.

This is a problem. My guess is he's telling other players they are guaranteed to start if they transfer. I think he'll have problems getting 2nd string guys, certainly a QB. Why would any QB want to play for him as long as his son is around.

Deion managed to have success in a division where he was able to WAY out-recruit his competitors. Furthermore, he instills a lot of discipline ... which also tends to breed consistency of play.

Now the question will be how good he can be at teaching players AND how good he is strategically when coaching at a higher level. Is he more of a Jimbo Fisher? ... is he more of a Saban? Is he somewhere in between?

Deion is a guy who should be able to attract a lot of interest and talent to Colorado ... however, can he get them to play (collectively) at a high level?

There are a lot of really successful coaches at a lower level who have gone on to coach at Texas ... a place that is absolutely swimming with elite talent ... and yet UT historically tends to underachieve given its talent-level.

Currently, one of the main things that Deion has going for him is that the Pac 10 is poised to become a "relegated" conference. Thus, that might make winning there a little less of a challenge.

How many people actually watched the video and what Deion told the players?
I did. It's harsh ... but it's also clearly a challenge.

In all frankness, in football, you ARE what your film says you are.

When Deion joined that program ... he's forcing those guys to own their film ... and their film is dog-shit. If they want respect, they need to EARN it!

He was really fast. I think his choice of position coaches and oc/dc is going to be important to his time at Colorado.

Reactions: Section25
I just don’t get why context doesn’t matter anymore to people. When I read the headline, I said, “Ok. What was he really talking about here?”

Then when you understand the context, it becomes clear. He was telling them that changes are coming. If you don’t like what’s coming, then go ahead and enter the portal. He doesn’t want players on the team that aren’t willing to adapt and buy in to what he wants for the program.

He wasn’t telling them to leave. He was setting expectations.

I didn't really care for Deion but after seeing that video, I would probably be pretty excited if I rooted for Colorado.

He talks a good game and the things he said are not that different than a lot of successful coaches. It's almost like a military mindset when he was talking about no phones, earrings, etc. He better watch out for a lawsuit.

It will come down to if he can coach because I guarantee he's going to have the most talented team in the PAC10 in a year or 2 and I wouldn't be shocked if he had tOSU, Bama, Georgia type talent.

ADVERTISEMENT