ADVERTISEMENT

Deion just told all of CU's players to hit the portal

Yeah. It was.

Sanders told a room full of Colorado players. “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”
Watch the actual video of his speech to hear the detail he added. He didn't tell every player to flat-out transfer.

• Haha
Reactions: RCHdude
He essentially did say exactly that.

Sanders told a room full of Colorado players. “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”
It's better to listen to clip than read in print. He knows they have sucked ass and most will be all in on the changes he will bring and are excited to be part of it and those who aren't can leave. There won't be a mass exodus but even if there is the sooner they leave the better so he can work the portal. He knows kids want to play for him

Deion announced his son as the starting QB, even though he couldn't even officially enter the portal yet.
Well they still are going to play and coach in JSU bowl game which is a big deal there and I think that's honorable. He also was saying it tongue in cheek and went on to say that he would have to earn it.

At least Shadeur Sanders has years of experience playing qb at a high level, if giving preferential treatment to sons was a huge sin Kirk Ferentz would have been run off a long time ago

Reactions: MilleGinja
Interesting way to start your new job. DB move if you ask me.

Shitty move by a shitty person.

For those who didn't read the article, he said this in the players' meeting:

* He already has decided on his starting QB (his son, Shedeur).

* “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”

Reactions: KcTo
Yeah the picture of Kirk celebrating a win with players (predominately white players) does not convince me he is a great communicator with today's athletes. I never said he wasn't a good person. Glad a picture tells you how great of a communicator Kirk and his staff are. Nice try though.

wow. just wow.

Reactions: jo12208
I did. It's harsh ... but it's also clearly a challenge.

In all frankness, in football, you ARE what your film says you are.

When Deion joined that program ... he's forcing those guys to own their film ... and their film is dog-shit. If they want respect, they need to EARN it!

What he told them is exactly what they needed to hear, IMO. There's a culture of losing at CU that has been in place through five head coaches and seventeen seasons. Losing is all those players know.

Worked out well for 4 win Nebraska last year.

sanders does have a different style than frost. Very Oppo.

sanders style and hubris might very well,connect with the style and hubris of those players that believ they are better than their current program and are taking action to change that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sanders does get more than his share in the portal.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Colorado was a terrible team. He's coming in and putting players on notice. An aggressive move. But in what is now the free agent environment and wide open "what am I going to get paid" era of high level college football I can certainly understand it. He could conceivably have near complete turnover in his 2 deeps. For a team that went 1-11 and got their butts kicked in a big way multiple times maybe that's not the worst move.

Reactions: hawkman55
I don't like it but I guess if players are not loyal to their teams anymore, it makes sense for programs to act similarly.
And where will HIS loyalty be if a bigger fish came calling? There were people, including himself at one point that said he wouldn't be leaving Jackson State...

Yeah the picture of Kirk celebrating a win with players (predominately white players) does not convince me he is a great communicator with today's athletes. I never said he wasn't a good person. Glad a picture tells you how great of a communicator Kirk and his staff are. Nice try though.
I'm pretty sure the roster has a lot of black players who love KF as well. If anyone trying to make a point without any evidence here, I think you win hands down.....

If they don’t go in the portal, he doesn’t have to renew their scholarship. That scholarship is year-to-year. He will bring in 85 of his own guys. He may bring in nearly the entire former team.

If they don’t go in the portal, he doesn’t have to renew their scholarship. That scholarship is year-to-year. He will bring in 85 of his own guys. He may bring in nearly the entire former team.
I think this is actually his plan. He can't fire them so he'll make them all feel like they need to leave of their own free will.

Finish the sentence. He said " “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”
….for players that can and want to win games.’

How’s that sound? I mean you could spin it many ways.

Interesting way to start your new job. DB move if you ask me.

Yeah, there were other intended messages being sent. I suspect that that the kids who come see him and commit to playing his way and show they really want to be there and win, will be allowed to stay. There is word on the street that very soon Colorado & Utah will be joining the B12 and it will be as early as next year.

Was that part of the sentence that we were both referring to? If so I apologize. If not, who's spinning?
No idea wtf you’re talking about. You said finish the sentence….I obliged with one example. There could be many more examples depending on where you want the goalposts to be….depending on what you want the narrative to be. Guess I’m confused about your request.
Honestly I think you’re blowing this way out of proportion for a Hawkeye sports forum but whatever.

No idea wtf you’re talking about. You said finish the sentence….I obliged with one example. There could be many more examples depending on where you want the goalposts to be….depending on what you want the narrative to be. Guess I’m confused about your request.
Honestly I think you’re blowing this way out of proportion for a Hawkeye sports forum but whatever.
If you don't know WTF I'm talking about then you probably shouldn't be jumping into the middle of a thread.

Do YOU actually know what you’re talking about?
Well yes. If you're asking me about what I was replying to with my comment then yes. I'm pretty sure I know what I was replying to. We'll leave it at that vs starting another pissing match in another thread. How's that?

Last edited:
Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
Shitty move by a shitty person.

For those who didn't read the article, he said this in the players' meeting:

* He already has decided on his starting QB (his son, Shedeur).

* “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”
Miami bravado meets Colorado, there’s going to be a culture clash

Not a fan, but his kids a stud. Four star recruit with offers from Bama, LSU. Michigan, Oregon, Tennessee, FSU, etc.

And if you've watched him play, you know he's all that.

I just don’t get why context doesn’t matter anymore to people. When I read the headline, I said, “Ok. What was he really talking about here?”

Then when you understand the context, it becomes clear. He was telling them that changes are coming. If you don’t like what’s coming, then go ahead and enter the portal. He doesn’t want players on the team that aren’t willing to adapt and buy in to what he wants for the program.

He wasn’t telling them to leave. He was setting expectations.
Part of it is sheer laziness. People want to have their knee-jerk reaction.

Furthermore, people are stupidly prideful ... so when their knee-jerk reaction is clearly demonstrated to be foolish/dumb ... they'll argue to the bitter end. It becomes a competition wherein they refuse to be proven "wrong."

Part of it is that some people really are that dumb.

Have you seen Colorado play? They are bad. He may be on to something in telling the current roster to move along.
I mean there are limitations to the number of players you can take in the portal. You can't just tell the entire team to leave right?

Did something change recently? Last I was aware, P12 (like the B1G) scholarships are for 4 years.

Pac-12 passes reforms for athletes​

Oct 27, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Pac-12 passed sweeping changes for athletes in all of the conference's sports Monday, guaranteeing four-year scholarships, improving health care benefits and liberalizing transfer rules.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...orms-including-guaranteed-4-year-scholarships

I've owned/ran businesses most of my life. I have come into situations where I acquired employees that were not mine. I would never have used the first day to tell everyone to leave before meeting with them and finding out what they did, how they did it, and whether they were a fit for the new company. On top of it, a lot of those players moved from other places to play there. It's really pretty reprehensible.
Halon Musk did that. Some HORTER's digitally oscillated their weiners and applauded. Good for Deon. Fire all the F's.

He knows how to communicate with today's players. Something middle/old aged white guys in Iowa clearly don't know how to do.
Certainly the dumbest comment so far today. And the leader of dumbest of the year with only a few weeks left. I presume you're talking about the majority of high school and college coaches in Iowa? Oh, wait, you're taking a gutsy. and clever, shot at Ferentz. Very classy.

Reactions: jo12208
It's funny seeing folks who speak out against Deion's approach, yet also applaud "feel good" sports films like Remember the Titans and Hoosiers. Building a winning culture isn't kind. And a championship culture is brutally simplistic. It's a killing floor. The "student/athlete" argument in college sports is over. These kids are officially professionals. As requested. Anyone looking for the old time world of college sports and being student/athletes are welcome to leave the Power 5. This is where we are now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT