ADVERTISEMENT

Dekkers vs Petras

Dekkers wide outs have really let him down this year. Three game changing drops. The worst being this past game. Kid has a big future, has really handled his first year well. Still not happy a first year guy from a 1a school can drive it 99 yds to win at Iowa!

Dekkers would look terrible behind our line, probably worse stats than Petras.

**** ISU.
Yes. Petras has not been very good. But he's had an impossible situation with the horrific pass blocking and lack of a running game for most of the year, and receiving corps that is not very good.

Dekkers looks to be mobile and pretty accurate. But lots of issues with their offense overall.

Dekkers is #1 in Big 12 passing yards.
Petras is 12th in Big 10 w 60% of Dekkers.

Dekkers has 13 int vs 5 for Spencer.

ISU consistently turns ball over to lose games. Hutchinson is best WR in Big 12.

Despite all the bashing of Petras, would you rather honestly have Dekkers?
How's their OL?

This thread is an example of how we look at things differently as an in house fan and one looking in through their window.

If you had read their message board and Wisconsin’s etc. etc. like I have yes they are mad as hell at the head coach, the OC, the receivers the, the O-line etc. etc.

But they certainly aren’t convinced Deckers is OK, quite the opposite actually.

But I’ll go ahead and point out something that was alluded to above. That same Deckers and that same, horrible offensive coordinator and that same horrible offensive line somehow marched 99 yards against maybe the best defense in the country and maybe one of the 5 to 10 best in the last 10 or 15 years so there’s that ….

As for Wisconsin let me tell you fellas they’re not over there, going, “oh ho-hum” that was a hell of a Defense, no big deal we just lost… No they lost because their running back is avoiding contact, their quarterback sucks, their offensive line sucks their O-coordinator sucks…

The most bizarre thing for me though is ISU, it’s honestly like going to bizarro Iowa board. Calls of Nepotism, stubbornness, bad Oline coach, it really is nutso! Even in sucking they want to be like us.

Thats why I don’t take it nearly as seriously as some of you guys! It’s the same pretty much everywhere. My life’s tough enough I’m not going to let a sports team ruin my life!

Last edited:

ISU consistently turns ball over to lose games. Hutchinson is best WR in Big 12.

Dekkers is also facing far worse defenses.

ISU has once again fallen to the depths of earlier unsuccessful football of years' past.

While the current situation in IC isn't great, it's still far better than the outlook in Ames.

Matty really played Pollard. Or Pollard just thought he didn't want to have to be searching for a HC every 4-5 years.

Dekkers is also facing far worse defenses.
I agree, Dekkers has faced or will face 1 top ten defense to Petras facing 5. The second best defense in the Big 12 is Baylor at #45 and K State at #48. Purdue is the 8th best defense we will face at #34 in total defense is ranked higher than all but 1 Big 12 team, ISU. On the flip side we face 1 team ranked higher than 100 in total defense while ISU faces 5.

“99 yards” “99 yards”
It would have been a 99 yard drive for a meaningless stat pad if our offense had been even mildly effective.

“99 yards” “99 yards”
It would have been a 99 yard drive for a meaningless stat pad if our offense had been even mildly effective.

Or we hold them to a FG and win! Let’s remember they also have a horrific offense and a really good defense… They’ve scored 11 9 13 and 14 points vs BAD defenses.

So looks like ISU is headed towards a 5-7 season. Matt missed a window......not saying he can't bring it back but he has taken some hits this season and last year.

Yes I’d rather have Dekkers. He has a much higher upside than Petras.

“99 yards” “99 yards”
It would have been a 99 yard drive for a meaningless stat Iowa I if our offense had been even mildly effective.
(1) Iowa lost a fumble on the Clone's one yard line. Wasn't there some sort of "discussion" about the officials' decision there.?
(2) Was there any help from penalties on this 99 yard drive.?
Sorry for asking, Didn't see the game.

(1) Iowa lost a fumble on the Clone's one yard line. Wasn't there some sort of "discussion" about the officials' decision there.?
(2) Was there any help from penalties on this 99 yard drive.?
Sorry for asking, Didn't see the game.

Yes if memory serves!

I think if we had recruited Dekkers instead of Deuce we'd be 10-2 or 11-1 and feeling a whole lot better about this season. Dekkers is strong enough to routinely shed tacklers in the backfield, so we wouldn't have so many drive-killing sacks. Being able to avoid those would keep big parts of the playbook open too, and we wouldn't have to paper-mache this offense together with slide protection and doubling pass rushers as much.

I think if we had recruited Dekkers instead of Deuce we'd be 10-2 or 11-1 and feeling a whole lot better about this season. Dekkers is strong enough to routinely shed tacklers in the backfield, so we wouldn't have so many drive-killing sacks. Being able to avoid those would keep big parts of the playbook open too, and we wouldn't have to paper-mache this offense together with slide protection and doubling pass rushers as much.
I tend to agree about Dekkers, but the Ferentz MO would try to make him a statue.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Dekkers has twice the interceptions as the Iowa QBs. 7 more interceptions for ISU and 10 less QB sacks playing against far worse defenses. Mich has 31 sacks on the year and ILL and OSU have 26 the best in the Big 12 is 24.

A sack is much better than an Int that can be returned. If you fail to get a first down you get to punt with a net gain of approximately 40 yds.

If Dekkers is so great why is ISU 1-6 in the Big 12 with a top 10 defense?

Dekkers has twice the interceptions as the Iowa QBs. 7 more interceptions for ISU and 10 less QB sacks playing against far worse defenses. Mich has 31 sacks on the year and ILL and OSU have 26 the best in the Big 12 is 24.

A sack is much better than an Int that can be returned. If you fail to get a first down you get to punt with a net gain of approximately 40 yds.

A lot of what Dekkers does poorly is based on his coach's risk tolerance/needs for that offensive scheme - Kirk's a better fit for where Dekkers is at as a player right now and for what this team needs out of the quarterback position. He doesn't need to do complicated full field reads for the most part in Iowa's offense. He doesn't need to run the football. He doesn't need to force something on third down.

Dekkers has thrown 398 passes. Iowa QB's have thrown 262. You'd expect more INT's in that scenario regardless. He might get sacked less but ISU throws the ball very quickly most plays, and he has no running game. The rush for ISU is non-existant against bad teams against the rush. It's put him in a lot of bad situations. I'd trade ISU's Oline for Iowa's right now sight unseen.

Dekkers has thrown 398 passes. Iowa QB's have thrown 262. You'd expect more INT's in that scenario regardless. He might get sacked less but ISU throws the ball very quickly most plays, and he has no running game. The rush for ISU is non-existant against bad teams against the rush. It's put him in a lot of bad situations. I'd trade ISU's Oline for Iowa's right now sight unseen.

LOL….we are all desperate! Who knew, epically poor lines and really shitty offenses has united ISU/Iowa fans on who is worse 😊

So looks like ISU is headed towards a 5-7 season. Matt missed a window......not saying he can't bring it back but he has taken some hits this season and last year.
It appears that way. I don't watch them enough to know exactly why, but he apparently isn't God's gift to coaching as we were led to believe.

Reactions: Packer54
You would expect more interceptions. If you take the Iowa int. % and go to 398 passes you get to just under 8 interceptions.

Holy crap....frying pan and fire situation right there. Iowa has literally the worst FBS o line I've ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT