ADVERTISEMENT

Delicious Iowa beer

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I populate a tiny section of the beer market that detests IPAs and other punch you in the face over hopped beers, but at the same time likes crispy beers, but not stouts and other beers where you feel like you are drinking a loaf of bread or desserts. I've realized that a good clean czech pilsner is where it's at for me. The problem is that they are hard to do well and until now I hadn't found any local brewers with the balls/chops to market anything worth buying. PSA and a plug for the Bohemian Rapids czech pilsner brewed in Cedar Rapids. I found it to be absolutely fantastic. http://iowabrewing.beer/bohemian-rapids

Reactions: cigaretteman
ReUnion in Coralville makes a good Czech Pils, too.
giphy.gif

Outstanding, thanks for the recommendation. I absolutely DETEST over-hopped beers. How people can drink that skunk piss, I'm sure I don't know.

Are you making this complaint about all IPAs or just the traditional style? I guess I am asking if you've ever had a good New England (haze) IPA that's more fruity and not bitter like the west coast traditional IPAs that smell like a pine forest?

Reactions: ironside1
Outstanding, thanks for the recommendation. I absolutely DETEST over-hopped beers. How people can drink that skunk piss, I'm sure I don't know.
No problem my go to mass production czech pilsner has been Pilsner Urquell. I am happy to find an Iowa brewery to support.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonrann
Are you making this complaint about all IPAs or just the traditional style? I guess I am asking if you've ever had a good New England (haze) IPA that's more fruity and not bitter like the west coast traditional IPAs that smell like a pine forest?

hmmm-alright.gif

Apparently, I am drinking the wrong ones because I have never had one like you describe. I have to admit, it sounds pretty damn good.

For me I definitely detest whatever IPAs are out there that taste like I'm drinking a pine tree. And while I don't detest non-pine tree tasting IPAs, the aggressively hopped beers are just not enjoyable to me. The hops mask what ever other goodness or lack there of is going on and if I'm allocating calories, that isn't where it's at.

Last edited:
Apparently, I am drinking the wrong ones because I have never had one like you describe. I have to admit, it sounds pretty damn good.

Don't get me wrong, there is an enormous amount of hops in these beers, but they aren't bitter or piney smelling.

If you're looking for a more "mass" offering, I'd suggest trying something like Toppling Goliath's Fire Skulls & Money. If you have access to more local breweries, something like Saftig by Pulpit Rock, or Hop Skewer by BarnTown, or Drugstore Cowboy by Franklin Street. Some of the best beers in this style come from Massachusetts (Trillium, Tree House) but those are a lot harder to get your hands on...

Don't get me wrong, there is an enormous amount of hops in these beers, but they aren't bitter or piney smelling.

If you're looking for a more "mass" offering, I'd suggest trying something like Toppling Goliath's Fire Skulls & Money. If you have access to more local breweries, something like Saftig by Pulpit Rock, or Hop Skewer by BarnTown, or Drugstore Cowboy by Franklin Street. Some of the best beers in this style come from Massachusetts (Trillium, Tree House) but those are a lot harder to get your hands on...
Insert boothisman.gif but I've tried several Toppling Goliath beers and I've hated them all. I feel like something is wrong with me so I keep trying to like them but I drink half of one and set it on the counter and leave them in the fridge for guests.

Insert boothisman.gif but I've tried several Toppling Goliath beers and I've hated them all. I feel like something is wrong with me so I keep trying to like them but I drink half of one and set it on the counter and leave them in the fridge for guests.

No need to boo anybody. You've tried them and they aren't your cup of tea. I am not somebody who tells others what beer they should have by any stretch. I've just found that a lot of people that think they hate IPAs try one of these and say "oh, that's not what I think of when I think of an IPA"

Hell, most of the time my beers are cans of domestic swill, which I like just fine and it's cheap.

No need to boo anybody. You've tried them and they aren't your cup of tea. I am not somebody who tells others what beer they should have by any stretch. I've just found that a lot of people that think they hate IPAs try one of these and say "oh, that's not what I think of when I think of an IPA"

Hell, most of the time my beers are cans of domestic swill, which I like just fine and it's cheap.

I find that my taste has evolved over time, and I like to change it up from time to time. I used to drink only lager/pilsners, then expanded to marzens, then to red and pale ales, and lastly stouts and IPAs. Cant quite do sours. Within each style their are beers that i love and beers that i loathe. You just have to try everything and decide if you like it.

The local brewers in and around CR/IC are doing good work. Lots of delicious beer to choose from!

Reactions: soybean

People who claim they "don't like IPAs" or whatever other style of beer, have likely never tasted a World Class IPA/beer in that category.

I recommend to those who claim to 'hate beer' to try something top-rated, and if you don't enjoy any top rated choices of IPAs, then you probably really don't like IPAs....(or insert whatever beer style in place)

IPAs (and other beer styles) are really really easy to brew.
But many of them are not easy to brew well....

I find that my taste has evolved over time, and I like to change it up from time to time. I used to drink only lager/pilsners, then expanded to marzens, then to red and pale ales, and lastly stouts and IPAs. Cant quite do sours. Within each style their are beers that i love and beers that i loathe. You just have to try everything and decide if you you like it.
I've gone in reverse. I used to think I liked hoppy beers but as I've aged my tastes have changed and/or I've gotten pickier and pickier.

I've gone in reverse. I used to think I liked hoppy beers but as I've aged my tastes have changed and/or I've gotten pickier and pickier.

I also find that when ive tried something out of my comfort zone such as a belgian, or strong double IPA, i have to let the shock of the first sip wear off, and settle in a bit to decide if i like it or not.

To say that you only like one beer, or one style of beer, is like saying that you like meat....but only 85% lean hamburger. There is such a wide variety to enjoy.

I also find that when ive tried something out of my comfort zone such as a belgian, or strong double IPA, i have to let the shock of the first sip wear off, and settle in a bit to decide if i like it or not.

To say that you only like one beer, or one style of beer, is like saying that you like meat....but only 85% lean hamburger. There is such a wide variety to enjoy.
Yeah that's not what I'm saying. If I'm making a pyramid the czech style pilnsers are at the top so that is what I buy. I like various lagers and will drink them but they are a step lower on the pyramid. Below that are ales like Newcastle and Bass but I find them to taste "flat" if that makes any sense. Below that I enjoy some domestic swills but really those are bad lagers or pilsners. Below that, I would put IPAs. I will sip on one if at a party but not my first, second, third, or fourth choice. And below IPAs, there are porters/stouts which I find to be utterly disgusting.

Well that was certainly never in question.

Gimme domestic swill with a sipper of fine bourbon on the side and that does me just right.
I feel like we could be friends. If you're ever up in the DSM area send me a message.

I've found some bars will put the beer's IBU on the menu, I don't know the science behind it but the general rule of thumb is less IBU, less bitter.

Could keep your eye out for IPA's with a lower IBU. For instance Founder's All Day IPA is a 42.

This. I used to love Sierra Nevada in college. I also dug Millstream's Iowa Ale and Schildebrau as well as English import Bass Pale Ale. Now, no way. I can appreciate a good lager (Carlsberg, Grain Belt, High Life), black lager (Keller 31!) or pilsner, but brown ales are where it is at for me: Newcastle, Goose Island Nut Brown Ale, Rogue, etc.

I populate a tiny section of the beer market that detests IPAs and other punch you in the face over hopped beers, but at the same time likes crispy beers, but not stouts and other beers where you feel like you are drinking a loaf of bread or desserts. I've realized that a good clean czech pilsner is where it's at for me. The problem is that they are hard to do well and until now I hadn't found any local brewers with the balls/chops to market anything worth buying. PSA and a plug for the Bohemian Rapids czech pilsner brewed in Cedar Rapids. I found it to be absolutely fantastic. http://iowabrewing.beer/bohemian-rapids
Lion Bridge in CR has a very nice Kolsch, but I don't think they bottle it yet

This. I used to love Sierra Nevada in college. I also dug Millstream's Iowa Ale and Schildebrau as well as English import Bass Pale Ale. Now, no way. I can appreciate a good lager (Carlsberg, Grain Belt, High Life), black lager (Keller 31!) or pilsner, but brown ales are where it is at for me: Newcastle, Goose Island Nut Brown Ale, Rogue, etc.

Have you had Dorothy’s Lager by Toppling Goliath?

People who claim they "don't like IPAs" or whatever other style of beer, have likely never tasted a World Class IPA/beer in that category.

I recommend to those who claim to 'hate beer' to try something top-rated, and if you don't enjoy any top rated choices of IPAs, then you probably really don't like IPAs....(or insert whatever beer style in place)

I do not like IPAs bc I don’t like feeling like a bloated whale ready to explode out of my blow hole.

IPAs and my stomach = no bueno

Reactions: TailgateTom
I do not like IPAs bc I don’t like feeling like a bloated whale ready to explode out of my blow hole.

IPAs and my stomach = no bueno
Plus, they taste like something scraped off a hog lot floor. I thought this was a Busch Light thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT