ADVERTISEMENT

Delta to cut 100 flights per day.

What's pretty cool is that if you want to step back in history, you can go to any one of the dozens of railroad museums that we have in this country that put triumphs on display like being able to traverse Denver to Chicago in 13 hours.

We have good intercity rail in places where it makes sense to have it, basically just the mid atlantic to the northeast. We could improve on intracity transit, which seemingly every city in the country has either decided to disinvest in or let turn into a toilet during the pandemic

Ah, I love 18th century solutions for 21st century problems.

Anyway, I've flown twice roundtrip this year. All the flights were full. Only one was delayed.

Reactions: NCHawk5
We have good intercity rail in places where it makes sense to have it, basically just the mid atlantic to the northeast. We could improve on intracity transit, which seemingly every city in the country has either decided to disinvest in or let turn into a toilet during the pandemic

While I'm not sure if it qualifies for true "high speed rail", Brightline in Florida looks promising. I'm also interested to see how Texas HSR turns out and if Brightline from LA to Vegas actually happens. I think all of those could be very successful if done correctly

Train stations in small cities help stabilize them, especially their urban cores. So, you know, “Main Street” America — the concept politicians love to wax political and nostalgic about, get real help. Galesburg, Il is a great example. Sure, Knox College is there, but the little downtown — of the sort so many cities have shuttered and plywooded — remains thriving.

I’ve done a ton of train travel throughout the US and Europe. Cities and towns with a stop, hell, nearly every stop along a route, pretty much all benefit from having that daily or twice daily or thrice daily or however-many daily stops and starts, the influx of traffic and thus commerce.

But I’m told I hate capitalism. Lol.

Missing a whole lotta nuance here. Despite that your UK experience should help you avoid leaving out the huge gaps you just did.
Of course there are other reasons….but I’m not writing an essay here.

And you can’t compare the US to the UK. The UK is much, much smaller and without the “wide open spaces” of the American west.

All of the challenges I laid out in getting passenger train service throughout the US to become commonplace are valid.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Of course there are other reasons….but I’m not writing an essay here.

And you can’t compare the US to the UK. The UK is much, much smaller and without the “wide open spaces” of the American west.

All of the challenges I laid out in getting passenger train service throughout the US to become commonplace are valid.
Sure, can definitely compare. Not draw equivalence, but compare? Yes.

One might say the US is a handful of UKs. Look, we used to have a thriving passenger rail system with all the correlated benefits that I’ve touched on, and we could do it again.

You’re doing that defeatist mindset thing that drives me nuts about Americans these days. We can rally 69 bagillions of dollars to a war effort… by noon tomorrow. Don’t give me this we-can’t-do-it bullshit.

Sure, can definitely compare. Not draw equivalence, but compare? Yes.

One might say the US is a handful of UKs. Look, we used to have a thriving passenger rail system with all the correlated benefits that I’ve touched on, and we could do it again.

You’re doing that defeatist mindset thing that drives me nuts about Americans these days. We can rally 69 bagillions of dollars to a war effort… by noon tomorrow. Don’t give me this we-can’t-do-it bullshit.
I never once said it couldn’t be done. I did however, list reasons why it likely wouldn’t be done in my lifetime.

Yep, the US can spend “x” kajillian dollars on the military. But if you think the American public would be ok with spending that much on passenger rail…..I’ve got a bridge to sell you. That’s just the way it is.

I would LOVE for passenger rail service to make a comeback. Would love to hop a train from Des Moines to Iowa City for Hawk games. Sadly, that is not possible.

Bringing “back” passenger rail will take a lot of money over a lot of years. It certainly can be done, but unfortunately isn’t a priority with most Americans.

Delta flies ~4000 flights per day. Its a 1%-2% decrease, not exactly earth shattering numbers.
It indicates stress in the system. Will they have to cut more flights? As some posters have mentioned via their experiences their flights are full. Any reduction increases the stress on the system. It is clear that lots of people are wanting to get out and travel. The demand does not appear to be slacking off just as Delta and the industry are unable to meet the demand.
There are a lot of questions here. Did they position themselves well during the pandemic? Staffing appears to be an issue. Were they too aggressive in pushing out staff? I have also heard that part of their issue might be related to their pilots not having a contract for several years. That might be leading to sick outs, and pilots not being willing to pick up additional flights.

Other carriers are also reducing flights. Staffing issues. Weather. Equipment shortages. Lots of reasons. I also think they probably were overly optimistic in their ability to fill the seats they were selling. This also makes me think they know they will need to cut more, later on.
At least they are doing it now versus waiting for angry passengers to start going all Karen Cruz at a ticket counter.
This is why we aren’t flying for vacation this Summer. I had no confidence air travel wouldn’t be a hassle.
https://www.businessinsider.com/del...ahead-of-busy-summer-travel-season-2022-5?amp
I just flew SW to/from BWI without issue. Full flights both ways.

Rail brings together everything the US is terrible at right now. Long-term planing, multiregion collaboration, goal alignment, infrastructure investment… and that’s without mentioning all the dumbass regulations and dumbass people that have to be involved to get anything done

Rail brings together everything the US is terrible at right now. Long-term planing, multiregion collaboration, goal alignment, infrastructure investment… and that’s without mentioning all the dumbass regulations and dumbass people that have to be involved to get anything done

Huh?

Reactions: NCHawk5
Rail is an outdated concept that’s not going to work anywhere. Major cities in the US have some form of it and it works fine. Other than that, no one is interested because our population density is very low.

Rail is an outdated concept that’s not going to work anywhere. Major cities in the US have some form of it and it works fine. Other than that, no one is interested because our population density is very low.

No one is interested?

Good grief!

Leading the trend has been Southwest Airlines, which has cut nearly 20,000 flights, according to a report from The Dallas Morning News. Its goal is to hire 10,000 new workers this year.

Why do I get this nagging feeling my Colorado trip via SW is going to get canx?

I am not comforted by all these small regional airlines picking up hundreds of brand new commercial pilots. I always like to see a little gray in the cockpit.

Flew home from Pensacola and nearly had to stay in DFW on my connecting flight due to PNS being delayed due to a flight crew timing out due to technical issues with the plane. Flew United IIRC. Ran from A to B terminal via tram and barely made it before the doors closed, only had 10 minutes on the ground.

Reactions: kkhawk
I had a PNS to ATL flight canceled Sunday. I got several hours notification, and rebooked a day later. Delta sent an apology and a voucher for my trouble.

Flew home from Pensacola and nearly had to stay in DFW on my connecting flight due to PNS being delayed due to a flight crew timing out due to technical issues with the plane. Flew United IIRC. Ran from A to B terminal via tram and barely made it before the doors closed, only had 10 minutes on the ground.
That's a common problem with United out of PNS. Very unreliable.

Reactions: Cougar63
Had a southwest pilot that was 31 years old on his 2nd day on the job yesterday

Back in the US Air days, bad weather in Charlotte. Take a look up in the cockpit and these 2 dudes looked like they were about 25. Thought to myself, well its been a good life

Other carriers are also reducing flights. Staffing issues. Weather. Equipment shortages. Lots of reasons. I also think they probably were overly optimistic in their ability to fill the seats they were selling. This also makes me think they know they will need to cut more, later on.
At least they are doing it now versus waiting for angry passengers to start going all Karen Cruz at a ticket counter.
This is why we aren’t flying for vacation this Summer. I had no confidence air travel wouldn’t be a hassle.
https://www.businessinsider.com/del...ahead-of-busy-summer-travel-season-2022-5?amp
The largest generation in the history of our country is exiting the workforce. The pandemic accelerated this trend. This shortage is happening everywhere across all industries.

Reactions: rivalhawks
Back in the US Air days, bad weather in Charlotte. Take a look up in the cockpit and these 2 dudes looked like they were about 25. Thought to myself, well its been a good life

Yesterday wasn’t smooth in the northeast or mid Atlantic. Flying is one of the only thing where I can say that the cost of the machine is greater than it would cost to pay out insurance on lost lives, which comforts me

Had a southwest pilot that was 31 years old on his 2nd day on the job yesterday
Maybe second day at southwest but had to work somewhere prior aka a regional airline where 80% of airline pilots build their time. Sorry southwest isn’t hiring guys like that. Even if so they have to have 1500 hours at MINIMUM to get an airline transportation pilot rating.
Fly a regional airlines to like Cedar Rapids. They are literally in their teen years. You know 19.
Also false, have to be 23 years old to have an airline transportation pilot rating. Also, looks are one thing. I’m 34, 11 years in the airlines, captain at a major airline (not regional) and have 5 years of airline captain experience and look like I’m 16. People claim looking young is a good thing, well wtf do you want?

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas80
I am not comforted by all these small regional airlines picking up hundreds of brand new commercial pilots. I always like to see a little gray in the cockpit.
I’ve flown with many gray hairs that quite honestly have zero business being in a cockpit and wouldn’t put my family in back if they’re upfront. Age has nothing to do with experience.

I will say the pool is drying up however.

I’ve flown with many gray hairs that quite honestly have zero business being in a cockpit and wouldn’t put my family in back if they’re upfront. Age has nothing to do with experience.

I will say the pool is drying up however.
I was mostly joking but you’re right, of course, about age and experience and quality.

Reactions: BlIIlken2
I’m 34, 11 years in the airlines, captain at a major airline (not regional) and have 5 years of airline captain experience and look like I’m 16. People claim looking young is a good thing, well wtf do you want?
But, admit it, you do sit up in that cockpit and say, "This is so COOL"

edit: If you don't, you should. ;)

Reactions: GOHOX69
I flew Cedar Rapids to Tampa/Clearwater 5/26 (Allegiant) with no issues.

Tampa Intl. to Fort Lauderdale (Silver) on 5/30 was delayed, which forced me to miss the flight to Punta Cana. We were moved to the same flight (JetBlue)the following day.

Getting back yesterday through Atlanta (Delta) was seamless. But there definitely were lots of delays and cancellations going on in both Ft. Lauderdale and Atlanta.

If there was a high-speed rail across the Everglades, we definitely would’ve considered that to eliminate a flight.

/csb

ADVERTISEMENT