ADVERTISEMENT

Delta to cut 100 flights per day.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Other carriers are also reducing flights. Staffing issues. Weather. Equipment shortages. Lots of reasons. I also think they probably were overly optimistic in their ability to fill the seats they were selling. This also makes me think they know they will need to cut more, later on.
At least they are doing it now versus waiting for angry passengers to start going all Karen Cruz at a ticket counter.
This is why we aren’t flying for vacation this Summer. I had no confidence air travel wouldn’t be a hassle.
https://www.businessinsider.com/del...ahead-of-busy-summer-travel-season-2022-5?amp

Reactions: HawkNester
Without digging, curious what types of flights? Long, medium, short? Mix? I so desperately hope we get serious about rail in this country. Rail is such a great way to better connect all the smaller markets in between all the big ‘uns.

Train stations help stabilize urban cores, too, be it for a metro area like the Quad Cities or a smaller spot like Galesburg, IL.

Other carriers are also reducing flights. Staffing issues. Weather. Equipment shortages. Lots of reasons. I also think they probably were overly optimistic in their ability to fill the seats they were selling. This also makes me think they know they will need to cut more, later on.
At least they are doing it now versus waiting for angry passengers to start going all Karen Cruz at a ticket counter.
This is why we aren’t flying for vacation this Summer. I had no confidence air travel wouldn’t be a hassle.
https://www.businessinsider.com/del...ahead-of-busy-summer-travel-season-2022-5?amp
Thank the jo show....he did that!

Reactions: doughuddl2
Without digging, curious what types of flights? Long, medium, short? Mix? I so desperately hope we get serious about rail in this country. Rail is such a great way to better connect all the smaller markets in between all the big ‘uns.

Train stations help stabilize urban cores, too, be it for a metro area like the Quad Cities or a smaller spot like Galesburg, IL.
It would be neat to have but I wonder if anyone has put a price tag on the investment necessary for such an endeavor. When they expand light rail in my area the per-mile cost is astronomical. Can’t begin to imagine what a true regional or national rail network would cost, especially for high-speed rail to cover the longer distances. Cool to think about though.

I’ve been lucky on delta to not have any interruptions since covid but that ended last weekend flying from MIA to ATL. Crew didn’t show. Luckily we were in the South FL corridor and ended up getting out of PBI the next day.

Reactions: JMSBFD
I’ve been lucky on delta to not have any interruptions since covid but that ended last weekend flying from MIA to ATL. Crew didn’t show. Luckily we were in the South FL corridor and ended up getting out of PBI the next day.
The last month traveling Delta has been brutal. Lack of crew members, mechanical issues, oversold flights, and weather. Haven't seen it like this since I used to fly AA through ORD.

Pilot shortage and new pilots making absolutely shit wages flying those small regional jets is a big reason.

work forever to finally get with a big airline and make good money.

Years ago some douche here wanted all commercial flights cancelled because they were too elitist. Can't remember the poster but he should be pleased.

Reactions: NCHawk5
It would be neat to have but I wonder if anyone has put a price tag on the investment necessary for such an endeavor. When they expand light rail in my area the per-mile cost is astronomical. Can’t begin to imagine what a true regional or national rail network would cost, especially for high-speed rail to cover the longer distances. Cool to think about though.
It would likely approach the net worth of the entire country in cost honestly. Look at CAs experiment with high speed rail- just between two cities.

Each person should be limited to the number of miles they can fly every year.

if it isn’t enough you can buy somebody else’s miles that doesn’t need them.

good for the environment. Cuts and some poors get money.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMSBFD
Every plane I got on the last two months has been packed. Prices have also gone crazy. I haven't had any issues with Delta the last year - United , not so much.
Just sayin.

Just be honest: ticket prices are higher than you’d hoped 😔. Nothing wrong with being frugal.

Is this a serious post? I can't tell around here anymore.
So quit pretending you care about the environment.

I demand to fly everywhere.
I demand a big house.
I demand an SUV.
I demand a boat.

but yes, to appear woke I am deeply concerned about the environment.

• Wow
I also think they probably were overly optimistic in their ability to fill the seats they were selling.
The flights we've been on have been pretty full. Holiday weekend but 7 of 10 flights to LGA today (we're on one) are sold out.

Has there been a cost-benefit analysis?

Whelp, just got this text for our flight tonight... rain in NYC

UPDATE: Inclement weather could potentially impact your upcoming flight. Find additional information and options at delta.com/advisories

I would love to travel by rail. Alas…..it is much too expensive.

I really enjoyed the rail service in England when we were there. You could take a train virtually anywhere, and the cost wasn’t that bad….especially when you buy a pass.

Reactions: Rudolph
I would love to travel by rail. Alas…..it is much too expensive.

I really enjoyed the rail service in England when we were there. You could take a train virtually anywhere, and the cost wasn’t that bad….especially when you buy a pass.
The economics of it can, and will, change. Just as it did for air travel.

Unless we unleash mass immigration, the economics really don’t make sense for the majority of the country.

Each person should be limited to the number of miles they can fly every year.

if it isn’t enough you can buy somebody else’s miles that doesn’t need them.

good for the environment. Cuts and some poors get money.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Unless we unleash mass immigration, the economics really don’t make sense for the majority of the country.
So THAT’S how air travel became cheaper! Who knew! Even more weird, your comment above is a really strange side-step.

The economics of any major infrastructure-level change hardly ever make “sense” for the majority of the country… until it does.

Reactions: lucas80
So THAT’S how air travel became cheaper! Who knew! Even more weird, your comment above is a really strange side-step.

The economics of any major infrastructure-level change hardly ever make “sense” for the majority of the country… until it does.
Look at countries that use high speed rail effectively. Tell me what’s different about them. $110 billion LA to SF. The ROI timeframe for that is the year 4500. Stick with electric vehicles, they’re actually moving towards cost effective and practical- but not for the working class yet.

Maybe……but not in my lifetime.

The infrastructure cost is prohibitive. Fares would have to be subsidized by the government in order to keep costs affordable and reasonable. It would likely never turn a profit. The American people will not stand for the tax increase that would be required.

THEN…….you have to get people to ride it. Which most won’t. Air travel is faster and cars are more convenient.

People used to travel long distances by train less than 100 years ago. The interstate highway system and increase in automobiles killed passenger rail for the most part.

Maybe……but not in my lifetime.

The infrastructure cost is prohibitive. Fares would have to be subsidized by the government in order to keep costs affordable and reasonable. It would likely never turn a profit. The American people will not stand for the tax increase that would be required.

THEN…….you have to get people to ride it. Which most won’t. Air travel is faster and cars are more convenient.

People used to travel long distances by train less than 100 years ago. The interstate highway system and increase in automobiles killed passenger rail for the most part.
Missing a whole lotta nuance here. Despite that your UK experience should help you avoid leaving out the huge gaps you just did.

Look at countries that use high speed rail effectively. Tell me what’s different about them. $110 billion LA to SF. The ROI timeframe for that is the year 4500. Stick with electric vehicles, they’re actually moving towards cost effective and practical- but not for the working class yet.
True, for Europe. Much smaller geographic footprint.
I’d be interested in China and Russia rail networks and how their experience could translate to the US.

I’d be interested in China and Russia rail networks and how their experience could translate to the US.
China and Russia don’t have mountains of regulations on doing construction. They can do whatever the hell they want. Look at details on the ca rail. Most of it is bureaucratic stupidity.

Have booked 7 flights this year and all have been changed. Longer layovers and 100% occupied. Also delays until all of their connecting flights make it. Not convenient for customer. May drive more to connecting cities and cut out a leg on a flight. Airlines are going make their $ even with high fuel.

I’ve taken Amtrak many times, but it’s basically been as part of a vacation. If we want rail travel for regular use it will have to be much faster, probably 2x faster than current travel.
Going from Minot, ND to Whitefish, MT is about 12 hours; about the same as driving.

I haven't researched details or specifics on the project, but China is currently building some sort of bridge / transportation system called ICBR, which will eventually tie together India's and China's transportation system.

Two of the largest populated nations in the world. If you really think about it, this project is almost like two nations physically merging together as one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT