ADVERTISEMENT

Delta to cut 100 flights per day.

Had a southwest pilot that was 31 years old on his 2nd day on the job yesterday
Fly a regional airlines to like Cedar Rapids. They are literally in their teen years. You know 19.
Back in the US Air days, bad weather in Charlotte. Take a look up in the cockpit and these 2 dudes looked like they were about 25. Thought to myself, well its been a good life
And those pilots were all a heck of a lot better at flying those jets than you guys are at driving your cars...

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Flew home from Pensacola and nearly had to stay in DFW on my connecting flight due to PNS being delayed due to a flight crew timing out due to technical issues with the plane. Flew United IIRC. Ran from A to B terminal via tram and barely made it before the doors closed, only had 10 minutes on the ground.
Nonstop PNS to DFW would have been American Airlines.
Congratulations on making your connection at DFW; you are officially in the top 20% category, I believe. That airport needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.

The documentary on the now defunct Colgan air highlights what a trash job it is, being a regional pilot. Basically, somewhere north of Micky D's and south of Sonic. Sadly, these idiots killed everyone on the plane and some on the ground. Ain't exactly international pilots on PANAM in the 70's.

Maybe second day at southwest but had to work somewhere prior aka a regional airline where 80% of airline pilots build their time. Sorry southwest isn’t hiring guys like that. Even if so they have to have 1500 hours at MINIMUM to get an airline transportation pilot rating.

Also false, have to be 23 years old to have an airline transportation pilot rating. Also, looks are one thing. I’m 34, 11 years in the airlines, captain at a major airline (not regional) and have 5 years of airline captain experience and look like I’m 16. People claim looking young is a good thing, well wtf do you want?
Do you fly international routes, Alaska/Hawaii or just conus. Do you prefer Boeing or Airbus? Favorite commercial aircraft? I enjoy aviation and planes in general.

Congratulations on making your connection at DFW; you are officially in the top 20% category, I believe. That airport needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.
I nominate Fort Lauderdale.

Do you fly international routes, Alaska/Hawaii or just conus. Do you prefer Boeing or Airbus? Favorite commercial aircraft? I enjoy aviation and planes in general.
No HI or AK. CONUS, Central America, South America and the Caribbean. Airbus because it’s more comfortable and simple lol. I’m on the A319/320/321 series.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
No HI or AK. CONUS, Central America, South America and the Caribbean. Airbus because it’s more comfortable and simple lol. I’m on the A319/320/321 series.

What is your longest route? My longest flight was from FRA to LAS. Both times was on a 767-300ER on Condor. I considered booking a Lufthansa flight connecting in SFO just to fly on the A-380 but common sense said avoid the layover.

Last edited:
What is your longest route? My longest flight was from FRA to LAS. Both times was on a 767-300ER on Condor. I considered booking a Lufthansa flight connecting in SFO just to fly on the A-380 but common sense said avoid the layover.
FLL-LIM. Around 6 hours, about all the endurance the a320 has fully loaded. The newer long range versions are stretching over the pond from the NE into Europe however. Have some on order.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
I think you might be right.

Delta pilots have released a letter to the public explaining they hear their complaints and they are doing everything that they can. Yes, they are having contract issues with the carrier.
Also, I was on the treadmill this morning and I swear I heard some analyst say that 7-8 percent of flights are being cut in August. Even with robust profits and full flights, there is a fear they cannot keep up, and a fear there may be a large drop in passengers in the Fall.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna33933

The last two times I’ve flown with my family (both round trip, one direct, one with layover), we have experienced:

-Car seat lost three times
-Two overnight delays in non-destination cities
-Sitting on a hot runway with broken AC and people nearly passing out
-A return flight where our reservation (not the flight) was canceled without notice (still awaiting explanation)
-Had to book a new flight with different airline, rent a car and drive 3 hours to another airport because reservation was canceled
-Wife and I missed a days worth of work due to one delay
-Had to book hotels twice so our 9 month didn’t have to sleep in airport
-Had to book a limo service for 30 min drive to and from hotel because all hotels near the airport were full and it was the only way to transport baby in a car seat

All told, the airline miscues have easily cost me $2k. It’s probably well north of $4k if I factor in wages, but I guess we both burned a day of PTO. So far, the airlines have waived baggage fees for a single flight and have given us a $700 flight voucher that expires in February 2023.

Customer service seems to be mostly new or inept employees that flat out don’t give a shit. Customer service lines are up to an hour long. Call back times on customer service phone line, as of yesterday, were over 24 hours. They seem to be pushing a text chat, where wait times to chat is 2-3 hours and there is a 5-10 minute delay between each message exchanged.

It’s a complete mess and there are many, many people at the airports with stories just as bad as mine. I’m done flying for the foreseeable future.

The last two times I’ve flown with my family (both round trip, one direct, one with layover), we have experienced:

-Car seat lost three times
-Two overnight delays in non-destination cities
-Sitting on a hot runway with broken AC and people nearly passing out
-A return flight where our reservation (not the flight) was canceled without notice (still awaiting explanation)
-Had to book a new flight with different airline, rent a car and drive 3 hours to another airport because reservation was canceled
-Wife and I missed a days worth of work due to one delay
-Had to book hotels twice so our 9 month didn’t have to sleep in airport
-Had to book a limo service for 30 min drive to and from hotel because all hotels near the airport were full and it was the only way to transport baby in a car seat

All told, the airline miscues have easily cost me $2k. It’s probably well north of $4k if I factor in wages, but I guess we both burned a day of PTO. So far, the airlines have waived baggage fees for a single flight and have given us a $700 flight voucher that expires in February 2023.

Customer service seems to be mostly new or inept employees that flat out don’t give a shit. Customer service lines are up to an hour long. Call back times on customer service phone line, as of yesterday, were over 24 hours. They seem to be pushing a text chat, where wait times to chat is 2-3 hours and there is a 5-10 minute delay between each message exchanged.

It’s a complete mess and there are many, many people at the airports with stories just as bad as mine. I’m done flying for the foreseeable future.
How have they lost your car seat three times in two flights?

I've flown 18 hr flights. I've flown the upper deck on a 380 and 747. Good times.

I've flown 18 hr flights. I've flown the upper deck on a 380 and 747. Good times.
R.c34f5db66eaa8e45d3f6a70536409a0a

Reactions: GOHOX69 and lucas80
Because of this, I also do not want to go on vacation this summer, besides there is a crisis and a lack of budget

Chuck Grassley is supporting a bump up in the mandatory retirement age for pilots from 65-67. Not sure that actually helps much, as a lot of pilots are eager, and able to retire before 65.
https://www.kcrg.com/2022/07/28/sen...ddress-nation-wide-commercial-pilot-shortage/

I don’t know why this hits the funny bone so hard, but I love this sentence in the article:

“The shortage been causing widespread delays and cancellations this summer.”

Quick, looks before the editors catch wind of it!

Everyone seems to be forgetting why so many pilots retired the last couple of years, even though they hadn't reached mandatory retirement age.

Everyone seems to be forgetting why so many pilots retired the last couple of years, even though they hadn't reached mandatory retirement age.
Many pilots were furloughed and moved on to other things like private charter companies or air freight companies, and many were bought out with early retirement packages.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
ADVERTISEMENT