ADVERTISEMENT

Demi Lovato reveals they are nonbinary and changing their pronouns

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
178367-horizons-2021-01-14t094157673.jpg

American pop star Demi Lovato is non-binary and has changed their pronouns to they/them, the singer has announced.

Singer Demi Lovato has revealed they are nonbinary and are changing their pronouns, telling fans they are "proud" to make the change after "a lot of self-reflective work."
Lovato, who rose to fame as a teenage movie star and has become one of the world's most popular singers over the past decade, made the announcement to fans in a video and tweets posted online on Wednesday.

"I feel that this best represents the fluidity I feel in my gender expression, and allows me to feel most authentic and true to the person I both know I am and still am discovering," the singer said.

Keep scrolling for a photo gallery from the career of Demi Lovato
Lovato added they came to the decision "after a lot of healing and self-reflective work."

"I'm still learning & coming into myself, & I don't claim to be an expert or a spokesperson. Sharing this with you now opens another level of vulnerability for me," Lovato said.

"I'm doing this for those out there that haven't been able to share who they truly are with their loved ones. Please keep living in your truths & know I am sending so much love your way."

The "Sorry Not Sorry" hitmaker recently shared their personal struggles with mental health and addiction in a YouTube documentary, which followed their journey prior to and following a near-fatal overdose in 2018.

"My doctors said that I had five to 10 more minutes," Lovato says in the documentary, speaking about the incident.
In a subsequent interview with EW, Lovato said ending their engagement to actor Max Ehrich helped them understand they are "just too queer" for such a commitment to a man at the moment.
"Regardless if drama is happening or not, I am too gay to marry a man right now," Lovato said. "I don't know if that will change in 10 years and I don't know if that'll never change, but I love accepting myself."

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
Feel bad for zer. Took a big L on the “sugar free” bakery oppression and had to take up another cause to stay relevant.

Ts and Ps.

The grammar Nazi in me (yes @BrunoMars420 - I’ve personally killed 6 million Jews for grammatical errors) HATES this they them shit when referring to one person. HATES it.

It takes me forever to read the them / they articles. I’m always “Wait, who is being referred to here? When did another person get added to this conversation? Or is it the they person?”

A couple of the podcasts I listen to people will introduce themselves with their pronouns and it drives me nuts listening when it’s a they-er. I’ll usually just skip it. I keep wondering if this whole pronoun thing is a passing fancy that someday people will look back on and be all - that was kind of stupid - or if it’s going to stick.

Last edited:
"I'm going to visit my cousin."
Cool, where do They live?

They has always been used to refer to one person. What has changed?
if I remember my grade school English classes, “they” could be used to refer to a group of people of both genders, or if referring to a single person if the gender was unknown.

I really dont understand this aspect of gender identification, but I also don’t really care either. most people have preferred names they want to be addressed by, so I just lump this in with that.

I think HER music sucks and SHE has dumb opinions. Good her for exercising her right to voicing them though. We don't all have to agree.

Reactions: Masterprime
I don't claim to be an expert or a spokesperson.

Oh...that's why the only reason 90% of the people on here who have ever heard of you is due to you making a weekly stupid pronouncement about who is transphobic now and why you're choosing to become a carrot this week and that carrots are the most non-binary cis-gender root vegetable.

Reactions: Masterprime
So, if they get married to another they does the wedding night sex qualify as an "orgy"?

And does the wedding official ask, "Do you folks take these folks to be your lawfully wedded..."

Reactions: mooresville hawk
The grammar Nazi in you is insensitive to the plight of non-binary persons.
I'll make small efforts to make people feel accepted and heard, but it doesn't mean it's not going to drive me crazy. Almost 40 years of wielding the English language better than most makes "they them" a challenge. Non-binary persons are going to have to be patient with me ;)

Why is they committing non-celebrity status-shaming while trying to promote inclusivity? Not everyone has a celebrity platform to inform the world of their preferred pronoun use. This bias and unawareness of lay-trans-peoples’ social platform status is completely unacceptable in today’s world. Hey they! Stop the hate!

Royalty has traditionally in the past referred to itself using plural pro-nouns.

This sounds like Ms. Lovato is elevating her status to that of royalty.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Honest question. I’ve seen 2-3 Demi threads in the last week. Why do people give two shits about what she has to say? Does she really exert that much influence?
Put me in the boat where I wish Hitler would have been quieted long before he exerted so much influence. Allowing sick people like Lovato, Abrams, or Sanders to gain any traction at all have greatly harmed our country, especially as they've become more confident in their idiocy.

Put me in the boat where I wish Hitler would have been quieted long before he exerted so much influence. Allowing sick people like Lovato, Abrams, or Sanders to gain any traction at all have greatly harmed our country, especially as they've become more confident in their idiocy.
Lol. You somehow manage to be a bigger drama queen than Lovato. Good work, that's not easy.

Honest question. I’ve seen 2-3 Demi threads in the last week. Why do people give two shits about what she has to say? Does she really exert that much influence?

She obviously has had a pretty big career so far - Disney, movies, music, Superbowl anthem, etc...but I think why she's a media darling is because she's a train wreck and that gets clicks. She does have admitted mental issues (not necessarily because of this situation), substance issues, suicidal issues, etc. It's kind of a Brittany thing. She's a successful person that the media and the nosy public can't turn their head from when she self destructs. IMHO, she'd be much better off going quiet, but she also seems to be the type of person that needs the attention. It's a toxic mix. Hopefully she overcomes her problems and becomes a success story vs. so many in her shoes that don't.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Are we allowed to make up our own pronouns and titles that people must refer to us by once we advise them of our preference? If not, will they be charged with a microagression?

My preferred pronoun is God and it is exclusive in that no one else can choose this pronoun. And when referring to me, I would like you to bow in reverence as well.

Are we allowed to make up our own pronouns and titles that people must refer to us by once we advise them of our preference? If not, will they be charged with a microagression?

My preferred pronoun is God and it is exclusive in that no one else can choose this pronoun. And when referring to me, I would like you to bow in reverence as well.
Actually, yes, that's one of their foundational arguments. Gender is all personal choice and not limited to the traditional binary of male female.

Thank you, Demi for another blow at delegitimizing trans people.
These non binary doofuses have taken over.
I think a lot of these sort are more similar to youth/young people subculture you would've seen before like emo or hipster or the like. They're not the born-this-way crowd. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts, but it feels pretty faddy.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
No, I won't. That was never my point.
How was I supposed to interpret this?

With all due respect, it's not the same. No one gets to decide which skin color they want to be. I agree posting signs like that are silly, but it's not the same thing at all.

Trans people would tell you that they didn’t decide what gender they were.

You’ve really been aping Sean Hannity this week re: Israel and now this. You alright?

Lol. Please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT