ADVERTISEMENT

Demi Lovato reveals they are nonbinary and changing their pronouns

Yes. I know someone well who presents as male but prefers to be called they/them. I slip up sometimes, and they’re fine with it, but they really appreciate that the effort is made. A lot of people refuse, so it means a lot to them when you respect them enough to at least try.

Honestly... I’d feel like a real asshole if I didn’t. If you know someone named Michael who goes by their middle name Andrew instead, and ask you to call them Andrew... why would you still call them Michael?

Ok but a name is something that changes by the person. Pro-nouns don't. They is a plural pro-noun. So she's not asking you to change her name, she's asking you to change the entire structure of the English language to fit her whims.

My other problem with this is historically absolute monarchs would refer to themselves with plural pro-nouns in formal documents.

I mean at what point do you say "no" when someone wants to change how you address them. If someone wants to change their pronouns to "your majesty, his/her majesty" are you going to comply because they have decided that they are "trans-royal".

I don’t even care if somebody get my real name wrong.

talk about begging for attention.

Yeah seriously, my own grandmother couldn't get my name right from my birth til her death. I hardly even notice when someone who isn't close to me gets it wrong.

Top comment:
I identify as a chocolate bar. My preferred pronouns are Her/shey
hehe-dance.gif

Is there anything chock full of more self important bullshit than this? Her album “Holy Fvck” is aptly named. Holy fvck is right.

I've actually adopted the pronouns of she/her again," Lovato said on Monday's episode of The Spout Podcast. "So for me, I'm such a fluid person that I don't really… I don't find that I am… I felt like, especially last year, my energy was balanced and my masculine and feminine energy, so that when I was faced with the choice of walking into a bathroom and it said, women and men, I didn't feel like there was a bathroom for me because I didn't feel necessarily like a woman. I didn't feel like a man. I just felt like a human. And that's what they/them is, is about for me, it's just about, like, feeling human at your core."

Demi Lovato, the singer and former Disney Channel actor, has started to use "she" pronouns again.
Lovato, who in 2021 came out as nonbinary and changed their pronouns to "they," said this week on the "Spout" podcast that they've "been feeling more feminine" recently and adopted their former pronouns.

Demi Lovato, who last year came out as nonbinary, said she is using "she" pronouns again because she's been 'feeling more feminine" as of late.
RB/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images/Getty Images
"I'm such a fluid person when it comes to my gender, my sexuality, my music, my creativity," Lovato said on the podcast, a short-form interview series with celebrities.

Lovato now uses both "they" and "she" pronouns, according to her Instagram account. She has also said she identifies as both queer and pansexual.

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

It's not uncommon for nonbinary people to use gendered pronouns or interchange pronouns: Singer Janelle Monae recently came out as nonbinary and said they would continue to use "she" pronouns in addition to "they."

Lovato said on "Spout" that while "everyone messes up pronouns" at some point, "it's just all about respect."
The "Cool for the Summer" singer is set to release their next album, "Holy F**k" later this month. One of the songs, "Skin of My Teeth," was inspired by Lovato's health challenges after an 2018 overdose, which caused multiple strokes and brain damage. She said on "Spout" that she was sober throughout the creation of her album, something she's "so proud of."

Just put your tits and ass on social media for attention like the Kardashians.

but please don’t sexualize her. That’s demeaning.

ADVERTISEMENT