ADVERTISEMENT

'Democrats are on the verge of repeating a voting rights blunder that led to the rise of Jim Crow' CNN

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
There comes a point in every awful horror movie where a character does something so careless and shortsighted a viewer loses faith in the storyteller.
There's the hapless victim who can't flee from the monster without falling, the stubborn homeowner who won't move out of a haunted house, and my favorite: the person who walks toward, not away, from a sinister noise at night while asking, "Hello, is anyone there?"
As I watch some Democrats handle the voting rights issue, I'm seeing a replay of a 19th-century political horror story. It ended with Black voters losing faith in the leaders who were supposed to protect them.
President Biden has called voting rights "the single most important" issue and described a wave of voter restriction bills recently passed by Republican legislatures across the US as "Jim Crow on steroids."
Yet he has refused to throw the full weight of the Oval Office behind passing two pending voting rights bills in Congress. He has stopped short of embracing calls to jettison the filibuster -- the parliamentary tactic Republicans can use to halt a voting rights bill -- because he says it would "throw the entire Congress into chaos."
Click to shrink...

Biden and Democratic leaders who prioritize infrastructure in part to broaden their appeal to reluctant White supporters are making the same mistake White political allies of Black voters made in the late 19th century. That's when the more progressive American political party of that era -- the Republican Party -- abandoned Black voters to focus on an economic agenda that emphasized infrastructure and uniting a country that was bitterly divided by race.
That blunder gave us a century of Jim Crow segregation, reduced the Republican Party to a "dying institution" 'in the South and forced countless Black Americans to confront an uncomfortable truth that many are now facing again:

Our White political allies are rarely willing to match the intensity and cunning of our political opponents.
What I am seeing now, though, is a rising sense of betrayal among Black voters. Many don't think Democratic leaders are pushing hard enough on voting rights. More are frustrated by Democratic leaders like Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, who says he won't support gutting the filibuster and insists on Republican buy-in to support a new voting rights bill. (He did propose a compromise on voting rights legislation that won the support of voting rights activist Stacey Abrams.)
Leonard Pitts Jr., a Pulitzer Prize winning columnist, captured some of this bitterness when he called Manchin's reasoning "nonsensical." Pitts also alluded to the "For the People Act," a bill to expand voting rights, when he posed a rhetorical question to Manchin:

"Would you decline to support a For the Chickens Act solely because the foxes refused to sign on?"
Click to shrink...

Some more choice quotes:

Those Republicans were strong supporters of Black voting rights. Black Americans were so loyal to the party that Frederick Douglass, the abolitionist and civil rights icon, once said, "The Republican Party is the ship and all else is the sea around us."
But as White resistance to Reconstruction grew, the Republican Party gradually began to treat Black voters as castaways. GOP leaders said that the party shouldn't become too dependent on Black voters and should craft an economic message that would appeal to more White voters, says Richard White, author of "The Republic for Which it Stands," an acclaimed book that explores US history from Reconstruction to the end of the 19th century.

A central part of Republicans' economic message to reluctant White voters was infrastructure: They vowed to rebuild the roads, railways and ports throughout the South.
Click to shrink...
Or consider the impact of Biden dispatching stimulus checks to White voters.
A Washington Post reporter recently traveled to an impoverished, rural Ohio county whose White voters overwhelmingly voted for former President Trump. Though virtually all of them said they benefited from Biden's stimulus checks, virtually none said the help would lead them to support Democrats.
The lesson: Building a new road won't build a new bridge to reluctant White voters who despise Blacks.

How insulting it must be for black voters in this country that one half of the political representation here thinks they are too stupid or lazy to get an id or make a photo copy. If this issue of voter integrity doesn't make you a Republican, you truly are hopeless.

If one really believed that the Georgia law was "Jim Crow on steroids", then the author is correct that it is inconceivable that they would walk away from such an important fight.

What he fails to consider is that Democrats were cynically playing the race card to score cheap political points and that they are moving on now because they would like to keep this issue to use in future elections. Of course Biden really doesn't think the Georgia law is Jim Crow on steroids but who cares?

Last edited:
Biden is the equivalent of an early 90's, GHWB style, republican. This is totally expected. Moderate republicans (if any still exist) and corporate democrats do not care about civil rights. They may not go out of their way to violate rights, unless you are a brown person in a war torn country in the Middle East, but they have no interest in expending energy trying to improve the conditions of the common man. Their focus is on pleasing their donors and staying in office.

Reactions: Gimmered
I do think the Jim Crow comments are hyperbole.

That said it should be concerning to anyone that the right is constantly looking for ways (that they think they can get away with) to make it harder for minorities to vote.

As some one who does support voter ID, my issue is why is it voting is never secure enough. Every 2 or 4 years the Republicans have yet another law that seems to pinpoint the ways that minorities like to vote and make all of those things harder.

When is enough enough? Especially when you can't prove significant fraud actually occurred?

Overall I get tired of having political parties able to write all of the rules to help themselves win. It may not be Jim Crow but it's still a massive issue in our democracy. When you get to redistrict and write all the rules to help yourself win, it may be impossible for the majority to actually rule ever. Look at Wisconsin. Republicans got spanked in all the state wide offices, and taken combined lost the overall vote in the state legislature. But because they controlled the rules beforehand they still control the state legislature. And the state legislature and their outgoing Republican governor specifically tried to re-write the rules to take power away from the Governor's office right before he had to turn it over.

We need a system that reduces preferably eliminates entirely the effect of political parties writing the rules to help themselves win.

I do think the Jim Crow comments are hyperbole.

That said it should be concerning to anyone that the right is constantly looking for ways (that they think they can get away with) to make it harder for minorities to vote.

As some one who does support voter ID, my issue is why is it voting is never secure enough. Every 2 or 4 years the Republicans have yet another law that seems to pinpoint the ways that minorities like to vote and make all of those things harder.

When is enough enough? Especially when you can't prove significant fraud actually occurred?

Overall I get tired of having political parties able to write all of the rules to help themselves win. It may not be Jim Crow but it's still a massive issue in our democracy. When you get to redistrict and write all the rules to help yourself win, it may be impossible for the majority to actually rule ever. Look at Wisconsin. Republicans got spanked in all the state wide offices, and taken combined lost the overall vote in the state legislature. But because they controlled the rules beforehand they still control the state legislature. And the state legislature and their outgoing Republican governor specifically tried to re-write the rules to take power away from the Governor's office right before he had to turn it over.

We need a system that reduces preferably eliminates entirely the effect of political parties writing the rules to help themselves win.
We have voter ID in Georgia. What is at issue is how do you provide equivalent security on mail in ballots? In 2020 those were limited to signature verification, which is not in the spirit of our in person voting requirements.

I’ll let you decide why Dems decided to scream, yell and lie about that.

Reactions: goldmom
We have voter ID in Georgia. What is at issue is how do you provide equivalent security on mail in ballots? In 2020 those were limited to signature verification, which is not in the spirit of our in person voting requirements.

Ok so explain the rest of the bill that limits the number of drop boxes, demands they be placed inside locations with limited hours, prevents applications for ballots being mailed to all voters, radically reduces the amount of time one has to request a absentee ballot, allows the state legislature to appoint the state elections board chair and allows that chair to suspend county election officials??

Also explain why before it was taken out by amendment there was an attempt to do away with Sunday early voting. "For election security reasons" and not totally not "Because that's when all the black people where voting!"

Reactions: sober_teacher

Any idea why Republicans decided to scream, yell and lie about voter fraud?

Reactions: ping72

LOL...it was the GOP that crafted THAT legislation. Done because white voters preferred absentee voting more than black voters. Now that black voters are using it, suddenly it's "not secure".

I'll let you decide why Trumpkins decided to scream, yell, and lie about that.

Here is a story about 200 absentee votes that were clearly counted twice. One objective of the new Georgia law was to be able to remove incompetent local election officials, which we definitely have in Fulton County.

Double counted ballots, AJC

That's what everyone at the Capitol on 1/6 was upset about? Let me guess Raffensperger should have been removed as incompetent for not finding the necessary votes to achieve the correct result?

I wonder if you even read your link, because you might find more comfortable results that are easier to digest at OAN, Newsmax, or the Daily Caller.

"There’s no indication any vote for president was counted more than once in official results.

The discovery of identical ballots provides evidence to back up allegations of problems in the presidential election, but on a relatively small scale that had no bearing on the final certified count. A group of voters seeking to prove the election was fraudulent say double-counting is just the beginning of what they hope to find."

Ok so explain the rest of the bill that limits the number of drop boxes, demands they be placed inside locations with limited hours, prevents applications for ballots being mailed to all voters, radically reduces the amount of time one has to request a absentee ballot, allows the state legislature to appoint the state elections board chair and allows that chair to suspend county election officials??

Also explain why before it was taken out by amendment there was an attempt to do away with Sunday early voting. "For election security reasons" and not totally not "Because that's when all the black people where voting!"
Limits the number of drop boxes - Drop boxes are insecure, some counties were not able to maintain proper chain of custody on those ballots. If the US mail is working they are unnecessary. You have a drop box attached to you house, its called a mailbox. They are an unnecessary risk and expense.

Prevents ballot applications from being mailed - Confusion over what people are getting in the mail (is it my ballot or my application?, did I already vote?) and its a nuisance. Risk of mailing a ballot application for a former resident to a new occupant. It run too close to partisan electioneering.

Reduces time to request absentee ballot - You had 180 days to request a ballot, which is crazy. Elections need to begin and end on a certain date. We still allow 78 days to request an absentee ballot. That is plenty of time and quite a bit easier than Indiana. Also easier to vote by mail here than New York, Delaware and many other solid blue states.

State Board of Elections - There are rules around the circumstances when a county election official can be suspended, but my county, Fulton is notorious for poorly run elections that erode voter confidence. They basically thumb their nose at the Secretary of State every year. I am glad that the integrity of my vote here in Fulton County is being protected by a bipartisan oversight board. Our state election board has members appointed by the Democrats and Republicans, the House the Senate and also the elected Secretary of State. That seems a fair check on some of our counties that are so heavily blue or red that local election officials act with impunity.

Sunday voting - I don't understand why organizations are allowed to run people from churches to polling stations on Sundays. There should be a pretty clear line between tax exempt places of worship and political activity. If that was an amendment at one point I don't know about it.

That's what everyone at the Capitol on 1/6 was upset about? Let me guess Raffensperger should have been removed as incompetent for not finding the necessary votes to achieve the correct result?

I wonder if you even read your link, because you might find more comfortable results that are easier to digest at OAN, Newsmax, or the Daily Caller.

"There’s no indication any vote for president was counted more than once in official results.

The discovery of identical ballots provides evidence to back up allegations of problems in the presidential election, but on a relatively small scale that had no bearing on the final certified count. A group of voters seeking to prove the election was fraudulent say double-counting is just the beginning of what they hope to find."
I don’t think there is election fraud, rather election incompetence that happens election after election. The new GA bill is entirely appropriate and has been demagogued by people that make us more divided as a country.

Nobody is saying that they should flip the Georgia Presidential results (at least I’m not saying that) but those of us in Fulton County should expect our elections to be better managed. If for no other reason than to remove the doubt that allows conspiracies to take hold.

Also I would have liked to go to the HR Derby this year with my son.

Reactions: goldmom
I don’t think there is election fraud, rather election incompetence that happens election after election. The new GA bill is entirely appropriate and has been demagogued by people that make us more divided as a country.

Nobody is saying that they should flip the Georgia Presidential results (at least I’m not saying that) but those of us in Fulton County should expect our elections to be better managed. If for no other reason than to remove the doubt that allows conspiracies to take hold.

Also I would have liked to go to the HR Derby this year with my son.

Remove the doubt that allows conspiracies to take hold? LOL. Good luck with that. One mention of "Hunter Biden" and certain people will have more than enough doubt to dream up whatever they fancy.

Does that type of person sound familiar?

Some more choice quotes:
He had me with this
President Biden has called voting rights "the single most important" issue and described a wave of voter restriction bills recently passed by Republican legislatures across the US as "Jim Crow on steroids."​
Yet he has refused to throw the full weight of the Oval Office behind passing two pending voting rights bills in Congress. He has stopped short of embracing calls to jettison the filibuster....​
Yes, democracy is one of the 2 most important issues we face. The other being the climate crisis.

So far Biden has been mildly on the correct side of both issues. But it's time to get seriousn and get things done.

The #1 obstacle to making the necessary progress on each issue is the filibuster.

Getting rid of the filibuster won't guarantee success on those issues, but it will make success possible.

How insulting it must be for black voters in this country that one half of the political representation here thinks they are too stupid or lazy to get an id or make a photo copy. If this issue of voter integrity doesn't make you a Republican, you truly are hopeless.

I love that you think your blatant racial stereotypes are the reason some of us object to the Republican position on voting IDs.

Racist AND clueless.

Reactions: blhawk
Remove the doubt that allows conspiracies to take hold? LOL. Good luck with that. One mention of "Hunter Biden" and certain people will have more than enough doubt to dream up whatever they fancy.

Does that type of person sound familiar?
Exactly. If you are Hunter Biden you should not be in business with CCP.

Reactions: SIXERS24
Exactly. If you are Hunter Biden you should not be in business with CCP.

Exactly. Hunter Biden -> CCP -> Democrats -> doubt -> conspiracy -> voting fraud -> stolen election -> election security laws -> Hunter Biden.

How could it be more obvious that Hunter was behind it all?!

Swap out Hunter for Media, elites, deep state, covid, BLM, Killary, whatever.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Exactly. Hunter Biden -> CCP -> Democrats -> doubt -> conspiracy -> voting fraud -> stolen election -> election security laws -> Hunter Biden.

How could it be more obvious that Hunter was behind it all?!

Swap out Hunter for Media, elites, deep state, covid, BLM, Killary, whatever.
You are the one conflating the issues. Likely because you know you are wrong to call GA law racist, but won’t admit it because you are too dug in with Team Blue.

You are the one conflating the issues. Likely because you know you are wrong to call GA law racist, but won’t admit it because you are too dug in with Team Blue.

I'm laughing at the idea that this law will remove the doubt and the following conspiracy theories. It's funny on a couple of levels, one, coming from you, whose imagination runs wild with Hunter theories. Two, the "doubt" was created by Republican efforts to claim voter fraud because they weren't happy with the results of the election.

Ahh the Team Blue angle, another popular crutch to lean on. Don't like something in the news? That's fake news. Don't like the result of an election? That's voter fraud. Don't like that someone is mocking you and doesn't agree with you? They are Team Blue, they are not reasonable people.

So easy to have the upper hand when you aren't bound by reality and can fall back on variations of those comforting explanations.

I also haven't called the GA law racist. I think it's a law that was created in bad faith. It wasn't created to address any real issues, it - and similar laws in other states - were created to address imagined issues that resonate with the Republican base. Essentially another culture war issue that is unfortunately popular among the wing nuts.

Will its effects have disproportionate impacts across race? That seems to be the expectation. Although, that's likely just due to the differences across race in party affiliation and urban vs rural inhabitation. I don't think there is any goal to "target" a certain race, because of their race, but rather target a specific party. It just happens to work out that some races of people are disproportionally a certain political party or live in certain environments.

Will the laws actually have the desired effect? That doesn't seem to be clear either. But the fact that they are even trying should be alarming, and thankfully some private organizations have at least raised the issue.

Don't worry about the Home Run Derby either, just assure your son that Team Blue wouldn't have tallied the homers accurately and that Hunter Biden was working behind the scenes to ensure that the money spent on derby tickets would have been funneled into his pocket and the DNC.

I'm laughing at the idea that this law will remove the doubt and the following conspiracy theories. It's funny on a couple of levels, one, coming from you, whose imagination runs wild with Hunter theories. Two, the "doubt" was created by Republican efforts to claim voter fraud because they weren't happy with the results of the election.

Ahh the Team Blue angle, another popular crutch to lean on. Don't like something in the news? That's fake news. Don't like the result of an election? That's voter fraud. Don't like that someone is mocking you and doesn't agree with you? They are Team Blue, they are not reasonable people.

So easy to have the upper hand when you aren't bound by reality and can fall back on variations of those comforting explanations.

I also haven't called the GA law racist. I think it's a law that was created in bad faith. It wasn't created to address any real issues, it - and similar laws in other states - were created to address imagined issues that resonate with the Republican base. Essentially another culture war issue that is unfortunately popular among the wing nuts.

Will its effects have disproportionate impacts across race? That seems to be the expectation. Although, that's likely just due to the differences across race in party affiliation and urban vs rural inhabitation. I don't think there is any goal to "target" a certain race, because of their race, but rather target a specific party. It just happens to work out that some races of people are disproportionally a certain political party or live in certain environments.

Will the laws actually have the desired effect? That doesn't seem to be clear either. But the fact that they are even trying should be alarming, and thankfully some private organizations have at least raised the issue.

Don't worry about the Home Run Derby either, just assure your son that Team Blue wouldn't have tallied the homers accurately and that Hunter Biden was working behind the scenes to ensure that the money spent on derby tickets would have been funneled into his pocket and the DNC.
88c0b96ca5b23b9fad7619fd590d7e9a.jpg

Limits the number of drop boxes - Drop boxes are insecure, some counties were not able to maintain proper chain of custody on those ballots. If the US mail is working they are unnecessary. You have a drop box attached to you house, its called a mailbox. They are an unnecessary risk and expense.

Prevents ballot applications from being mailed - Confusion over what people are getting in the mail (is it my ballot or my application?, did I already vote?) and its a nuisance. Risk of mailing a ballot application for a former resident to a new occupant. It run too close to partisan electioneering.

Reduces time to request absentee ballot - You had 180 days to request a ballot, which is crazy. Elections need to begin and end on a certain date. We still allow 78 days to request an absentee ballot. That is plenty of time and quite a bit easier than Indiana. Also easier to vote by mail here than New York, Delaware and many other solid blue states.

State Board of Elections - There are rules around the circumstances when a county election official can be suspended, but my county, Fulton is notorious for poorly run elections that erode voter confidence. They basically thumb their nose at the Secretary of State every year. I am glad that the integrity of my vote here in Fulton County is being protected by a bipartisan oversight board. Our state election board has members appointed by the Democrats and Republicans, the House the Senate and also the elected Secretary of State. That seems a fair check on some of our counties that are so heavily blue or red that local election officials act with impunity.

Sunday voting - I don't understand why organizations are allowed to run people from churches to polling stations on Sundays. There should be a pretty clear line between tax exempt places of worship and political activity. If that was an amendment at one point I don't know about it.
What an excellent post that of course they are all ignoring.

All US citizens are guaranteed the right to vote. Period. Fcvk your wingnut ID requirements.

What an excellent post that of course they are all ignoring.
And yet despite all these supposed vulnerabilities no one can apparently point to a single case of major fraud actually occurring, and all election officials agreed the election was secure.

And yet despite all these supposed vulnerabilities no one can apparently point to a single case of major fraud actually occurring, and all election officials agreed the election was secure.
In Georgia there were multiple instances of election officials mismanaging ballots and voter data. You would need to be a mind reader to know if it was intentional fraud.

Point to a bunch of people who haven't been able to vote in the midst of all of this alleged voter suppression.

In Georgia there were multiple instances of election officials mismanaging ballots and voter data. You would need to be a mind reader to know if it was intentional fraud.
So a statistically insignificant of ballots may have been mismanaged, it was spotted through controls in the system….and we need more checks?

again, GOPERS all over have alleged the 2020 election was somehow riddled with fraud but somehow can’t point to a single major case. There are humans involved so no system is going to be 100% perfect, but 99.9% is awfully good.

So a statistically insignificant of ballots may have been mismanaged, it was spotted through controls in the system….and we need more checks?

again, GOPERS all over have alleged the 2020 election was somehow riddled with fraud but somehow can’t point to a single major case. There are humans involved so no system is going to be 100% perfect, but 99.9% is awfully good.
It's not about fraud, it's about winning. Period. The GOP will not be a relevant party without rewriting the rules and they know it. They're pushing for f'n state legislatures having the power to overturn the voters of their own states. And they maintain power in many of those states through extreme gerrymandering and voter suppression.

Really? So explain please why the absentee rules put in place by the GOP legislature suddenly became portals for fraud when minorities started using them en masse. THEY put no-excuse absentee voting in place when whites preferred it...and then, when minorities actually used it in a coordinated way, they tried to dump it. They tried to eliminate Sunday voting...a day when large percentages of African Americans vote. Those measures were quite simply racist...period. Don't even try to argue otherwise. Those attempts call everything they did into question.

You have accepted as truth the lie that the Georgia law is discriminatory and burdensome. It is neither. It is a fine tuning of election law that underwent large changes prior to the 2020 election. This is why court challenges to the law have all failed.

It's not about fraud, it's about winning. Period. The GOP will not be a relevant party without rewriting the rules and they know it. They're pushing for f'n state legislatures having the power to overturn the voters of their own states. And they maintain power in many of those states through extreme gerrymandering and voter suppression.
The legislature does not have the power to overturn voters. SMH

You have accepted as truth the lie that the Georgia law is discriminatory and burdensome. It is neither. It is a fine tuning of election law that underwent large changes prior to the 2020 election. This is why court challenges to the law have all failed.
No, I actually haven’t referenced whether or not the law is discriminatory or not at all in this thread. The GOP rammed this bill thru, citing election integrity. If it was a matter of fine-tuning, you’d think this would have been a more narrowly crafted law, rather one that made large, sweeping changes.

you know, and I know, that what few issues that popped up (and largely happen every election) occur on a statistically insignificant level and does not justify the hundreds of ”election integrity” bills we’ve seen nationwide.

Hell, Larry Elder’s campaign launched an election fraud site last week, alleging voter fraud and irregularities in the recall election…despite no votes having been counted yet.

No, I actually haven’t referenced whether or not the law is discriminatory or not at all in this thread. The GOP rammed this bill thru, citing election integrity. If it was a matter of fine-tuning, you’d think this would have been a more narrowly crafted law, rather one that made large, sweeping changes.

you know, and I know, that what few issues that popped up (and largely happen every election) occur on a statistically insignificant level and does not justify the hundreds of ”election integrity” bills we’ve seen nationwide.

Hell, Larry Elder’s campaign launched an election fraud site last week, alleging voter fraud and irregularities in the recall election…despite no votes having been counted yet.
Biden won Georgia by 12,000 votes. Ossoff forced a runoff by a similar tally. These are very slim margins.

But more importantly Georgians need to have confidence in their election integrity. You don’t wait for a break in before you put locks on your house.

[1] Drop boxes are insecure, some counties were not able to maintain proper chain of custody on those ballots.
[2] If the US mail is working they are unnecessary.
[1] If that's a real problem, fix that problem. Don't cancel what seems like a decent way to make it easier to vote.

[2] "If the mail is working...." then I agree. But when you have a presidential appointee deliberately degrading the USPS's ability to deliver mail in a timely fashion, your condition may not be met.

As far as I know, that presidential appointee, DeJoy, still holds his office. Why? If Biden can't fire him (can he?) surely there are other ways to remove him. Is that a position subject to impeachment?

Biden won Georgia by 12,000 votes. Ossoff forced a runoff by a similar tally. These are very slim margins.

But more importantly Georgians need to have confidence in their election integrity. You don’t wait for a break in before you put locks on your house.
but there ARE locks and controls in place. there was, and remains, no reason to doubt election integrity, save for injecting doubt by the GOPers themselves.
Yes, 12,000 is a relatively narrow margin of victory. You and the GOP STILL haven’t presented evidence that the integrity of the election was seriously compromised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT