ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats Turn to Obama for Midterm Miracle

EasyHawk

HR Legend
Jun 21, 2015
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Less than two weeks before the U.S. midterm elections, with Democrats on verge of losing their razor-thin majority in Congress, the party is asking former President Barack Obama to perform some late-game heroics - or at least help limit their losses.

Obama, who left office in 2017 after serving two terms, travels to Georgia on Friday, and then moves on to Wisconsin, Nevada and Pennsylvania, all key battlegrounds in the Nov. 8 election.

All four states are home to competitive Senate races where Republican candidates appear to be gaining momentum. Republicans need to pick up just one additional Senate seat to secure control of that chamber, with Georgia and Nevada looming as prime targets.

Republicans are also expected to win enough seats to take over the U.S. House of Representatives. Holding both chambers will enable them to stonewall President Joe Biden's agenda, block his nominees, including federal judges and launch investigations of his administration.

With Biden’s approval among voters hovering at 39% according to the latest Reuters/Ipsos poll, it is the former president, who is assuming the role as the party’s closer in the final days. Biden served as Obama’s vice-president for his two terms.

"He's probably a better ambassador for swing-state Democrats than Biden is, since he's more popular - especially in the competitive states - and less tied to the current issues on voters' minds," said Jacob Rubashkin, an election analyst with Inside Elections in Washington. "He's also a more natural campaigner."

Obama will hit a fifth state, Michigan, which has a competitive governor's race, along the way.

Dogged by the public’s concerns over inflation and the economy, Biden has been nearly invisible on the campaign trail. His predecessors, Republican Donald Trump and Obama, both had held more than a dozen large rallies at this point in their second year in office.

But those presidents saw significant losses in Congress regardless, underscoring the political headwinds that Biden faces now. Obama suffered what he later called a "shellacking" when Republicans captured 63 House seats in the 2010 midterms, altering the trajectory of his presidency.

Biden isn't staying off the trail entirely. He plans to campaign in Florida next week on behalf of Democratic gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist -- who faces Republican governor Ron DeSantis, a possible 2024 White House contender -- and then will join Obama for events in Pennsylvania on Nov. 5.

Sounds like a good strategy. Bring out a popular person from your party that soundly governed to galvanize your base.

You got your tickets yet for when Trump is coming to Iowa?

Reactions: Huey Grey
Sounds like a good strategy. Bring out a popular person from your party that soundly governed to galvanize your base.

Wasn't Trump in PA recently? Coming to Iowa soon too?

Beat me to it. Dems turn to a great former president like Obama. Rs turn to a traitor like Trump. That says it all where the values actually are.
Two weeks from now is going to be rough for you Huey. You live your life around party politics and the beating Team Blue is going to take is going to be a bad one. I am so sorry for you.

Two weeks from now is going to be rough for you Huey. You live your life around party politics and the beating Team Blue is going to take is going to be a bad one. I am so sorry for you.

You think it will be as bad as you've taken the last couple years?

Can Obama be VP? Then 25th amendment Biden and let’s have an actual moderate with a brain run the country for a couple years.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66

I can't stand Trump, didn't vote for him in 2020, hope he is in prison prior to 2024. And yes, it is a very good strategy, it is huge.

You think it will be as bad as you've taken the last couple years?
My life hasn't changed one bit since President Biden took office. The president has little bearing on people's lives. People like you take politics as a life or death sport. It is kind of sad really.

Reactions: HawkeyeHighFlyers
Beat me to it. Dems turn to a great former president like Obama. Rs turn to a traitor like Trump. That says it all where the values actually are.
Obama can have an influence...put Joe in the basement and let Obama be the spokesman for the D's.

He's good.

I fail to see why this is a miracle or a big deal. GOP has Trump doing the rounds and Dems have Obama doing them. If they think it will help so be it.

I fail to see why this is a miracle or a big deal. GOP has Trump doing the rounds and Dems have Obama doing them. If they think it will help so be it.
Obama helps more than Trump with the target audience....Independents and "Undecided"s" AINEC.

Reactions: hawkland14
ADVERTISEMENT