ADVERTISEMENT

Deonte Craig

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
What do you all think on him coming in in year 1 to start playing right away as a true freshman? I love the kids athletic ability and his film is awesome but I think he needs to add some weight to his frame ... unless you could guarantee me another Leroy Smith from Sicklerville, NJ (my dads place of birth) rough city too but I would really like to see him and possibly Logan Jones in the mix this year especially when you can have kids play in 4 games without burning a redshirt.

Thoughts?

Fast forward 30 seconds as it’s a commercial first

https://247sports.com/Video/Deontae-Craig-Week-5-Culver-Academies--9441178/

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
I think it's a stretch for him to play more than the 4 games, unless there are injuries at DE. Golston will barely leave the field. Waggoner and/or VVB should provide adequate run support on 1st & 2nd down, and Evans proved the second half of '19 that he's a good situational pass rusher. And that does not figure in Lee, who is moving to DE and may become better than any of the above. So...it's likely Craig gets some game experience but won't be in our top 4 DE's in 2020, IMHO.

What do you all think on him coming in in year 1 to start playing right away as a true freshman? I love the kids athletic ability and his film is awesome but I think he needs to add some weight to his frame ... unless you could guarantee me another Leroy Smith from Sicklerville, NJ (my dads place of birth) rough city too but I would really like to see him and possibly Logan Jones in the mix this year especially when you can have kids play in 4 games without burning a redshirt.

Thoughts?

Fast forward 30 seconds as it’s a commercial first

https://247sports.com/Video/Deontae-Craig-Week-5-Culver-Academies--9441178/
Yes, absolutely play them in 3-4 games so they can better transition into year 2. I'm honestly surprised more 1st year guys don't get a few snaps in considering the "new" redshirt rule.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
I think it's a stretch for him to play more than the 4 games, unless there are injuries at DE. Golston will barely leave the field. Waggoner and/or VVB should provide adequate run support on 1st & 2nd down, and Evans proved the second half of '19 that he's a good situational pass rusher. And that does not figure in Lee, who is moving to DE and may become better than any of the above. So...it's likely Craig gets some game experience but won't be in our top 4 DE's in 2020, IMHO.
The way that Waggoner was playing in the second half of the year leads me to think that he will be starting and playing the majority of the snaps. I still think that VVB and Evans will be situational players, albeit good ones at that.

I think Logan Jones has the best chance to play early. He is so goddamn quick for his size. I saw somewhere that Waggoner had been moved to the 3 technique DT spot and will likely start there. They must be pretty confident in Lee

Yes, absolutely play them in 3-4 games so they can better transition into year 2. I'm honestly surprised more 1st year guys don't get a few snaps in considering the "new" redshirt rule.

The guys who have earned the snaps dont want to give up their snaps. Gotta earn your snaps. Iowa does a good job of making you earn things. It's in our culture.

I thought the plan was for Lee to bulk up and play DT.

I think I read how the staff thought he was versatile enough to play spots as of now. Could've been sometime around bowl game after practices were done. Maybe like how Eppy moved inside on some passing downs last year is what I'm guessing?

The guys who have earned the snaps dont want to give up their snaps. Gotta earn your snaps. Iowa does a good job of making you earn things. It's in our culture.
I understand that to a certain extent but think about the game of basketball - the guys clear down at the end of the bench typically see the court for 1-3 minutes at the end of games that are "outta hand" in our favor.

Three of Iowa's first four last season were pretty much blowouts, and what I'm saying is I'm just surprised the coaches don't have more 1st-year players see the field for a series or two near the end of these types of games..even if they know their plan is to redshirt the guy - get him out there for a quick glimpse of what it's like.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see a clearly-not-ready true freshman sent onto the field and get completely embarrassed, then get discouraged and lose all confidence during his first month in college.

Last edited:
Three of Iowa's first four last season were pretty much blowouts, and what I'm saying is I'm just surprised the coaches don't have more 1st-year players see the field for a series or two near the end of these types of games..even if they know their plan is to redshirt the guy - get him out there for a quick glimpse of what it's like.

Unreal.

Do yourself a favor and go back and see who Iowa had in at the end of these games. In fact make some effort to know what you're talking about. Any, actually. It'll save you some embarrassment.

Dline guys who saw the first action of their careers down the stretch against Miami Oh:

Redshirt freshman John Waggoner
Redshirt freshman Noah Shannon
Redshirt freshman Davion Nixon
Sophomore Zach VanValkenberg
Sophomore Austin Shulte
Sophomore Dallas Jacobus

True freshmen who played against Miami:

Tyler Goodson
Justin Britt
Desmond Hutson
Sam LaPorta

Participation chart for Miami Oh.
Participation Chart for Rutgers
Participation Chart for Middle Tenn.

So you would take snaps from guys who are going to be depended upon sooner who've put in more time with the program working out and learning the playbook? That's 6 guys who weren't starters the staff got in to play 4 positions. How many more guys do you think the staff should've put in? Which guys didn't get a shot that you think should've?

Last edited:
Unreal.

Do yourself a favor and go back and see who Iowa had in at the end of these games. In fact make some effort to know what you're talking about. Any, actually. It'll save you some embarrassment.

Dline guys who saw the first action of their careers down the stretch against Miami Oh:

Redshirt freshman John Waggoner
Redshirt freshman Noah Shannon
Redshirt freshman Davion Nixon
Sophomore Zach VanValkenberg
Sophomore Austin Shulte
Sophomore Dallas Jacobus

True freshmen who played against Miami:

Tyler Goodson
Juston Britt
Desmond Hutson
Sam LaPorta

Participation chart for Miami Oh.
Participation Chart for Rutgers
Participation Chart for Middle Tenn.

So you would take snaps from guys who are going to be depended upon sooner who've put in more time with the program working out and learning the playbook? That's 6 guys who weren't starters the staff got in to play 4 positions. How many more guys do you think the staff should've put in? Which guys didn't get a shot that you think should've?
Holy shit man, just stay away from my posts as you clearly have it out for me.

Holy shit man, just stay away from my posts as you clearly have it out for me.

I didn’t think you would be able to answer any of those questions. You’ve clearly got it out for Iowa football. Look at your posting history. The thing is though, the facts are very rarely in your favor. It’s like you’ve never actually watched an Iowa football game. I am never not going to call out a troll. And you absolutely are a troll.

I didn’t think you would be able to answer any of those questions. You’ve clearly got it out for Iowa football. Look at your posting history. The thing is though, the facts are very rarely in your favor. It’s like you’ve never actually watched an Iowa football game. I am never not going to call out a troll. And you absolutely are a troll.
Here's the problem: if someone's thoughts are not completely complimentary or are not your own, you consider it trolling.

How in the flying **** is me thinking it would be beneficial for more - if not all - true freshmen to see the field for a few plays inside the 4-game limit trolling?? It's not even a negative thought on my part. It's just a thought.

Now, if I was here calling the staff a bunch of idiots because they aren't doing what I think would be beneficial? That'd be unreasonable and irrational. I'm not doing that.

Because you've associated my name HawkinArk with posts you haven't liked in the past leads you to attack me regardless of what I say every single time.

I'm not trolling. You're just being a huge asshole.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawk224 and CaboKP
08b12893235cdbcdd208643693bb1a00.gif

How in the flying **** is me thinking it would be beneficial for more - if not all - true freshmen to see the field for a few plays inside the 4-game limit trolling?? It's not even a negative thought on my part. It's just a thought.

This happens exactly NOWHERE. There are so many 18 year old kids who aren't physically or mentally ready for D1 football. Dallas Clark would tell you he didn't belong on a college football field his first year on campus. Things worked out ok for him and the team without his playing as a freshman. You're suggesting taking snaps away from younger guys who've earned the right to be there just to offer brand new kids "a glimpse of what it's like," like they don't get that glimpse on the scout team in practice. It's a really stupid thought.

I'm honestly surprised more 1st year guys don't get a few snaps in considering the "new" redshirt rule.

Of course you're "honestly surprised." You've put absolutely zero thought into it.

So because "it happens NOWHERE" means my innocent thought, triggered by someone else wondering how much an incoming freshman is going to play in year 1, is completely and utterly absurd? Rather than just engaging in the thread topic?

Go blow your f****** brains out you prick.

I'm in Omaha pretty frequently. It's a small world..

Well, next time I'm out and about I'll be sure to keep my ears peeled for someone saying something really stupid (like, I don't know - vaguely threatening someone on the internet?) and maybe I'll come say hi to you.

Last edited:
I think Logan Jones has the best chance to play early. He is so goddamn quick for his size. I saw somewhere that Waggoner had been moved to the 3 technique DT spot and will likely start there. They must be pretty confident in Lee
Jones showed in high school and in the All American game the ability to read and react which is necessary to protect the edge and play DE. Craig's clips showed a heck of an athlete off to the races with each snap, so it is hard to know if he might be ready for DE at the college level.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Jones showed in high school and in the All American game the ability to read and react which is necessary to protect the edge and play DE. Craig's clips showed a heck of an athlete off to the races with each snap, so it is hard to know if he might be ready for DE at the college level.

KF says the closer you are to the ball ie on either line or at QB, the harder it is to play early. Just too much to learn from a mental and technique standpoint, and guys are more developed and physical and in close proximity there. You can’t afford to make mistakes on the lines or at QB.

I think of the top 3 DE’s that have played for KF: Roth, Clayborn, and Epenesa. Roth played as a true freshman, but he was at linebacker. Clayborn redshirted in 2006. Epenesa played some as a true freshman, but was really in on plays where he could pin his ears back and not have to think too much about contain or run fits. So the fact that the three best DE’s this century couldn’t come in as significant contributors would suggest that Jones likely won’t play a ton of snaps. If he does, we’ve really got something special!

Reactions: easy2 and Hawk94Mn
Well I guess I'm about to go 0-2. I was pretty sure Logan Lee was going to play inside. I was 100% sure Logan Jones is going to be a DT but now you say DE. Nice to talk Hawkeye football.

KF says the closer you are to the ball ie on either line or at QB, the harder it is to play early. Just too much to learn from a mental and technique standpoint, and guys are more developed and physical and in close proximity there. You can’t afford to make mistakes on the lines or at QB.

I think of the top 3 DE’s that have played for KF: Roth, Clayborn, and Epenesa. Roth played as a true freshman, but he was at linebacker. Clayborn redshirted in 2006. Epenesa played some as a true freshman, but was really in on plays where he could pin his ears back and not have to think too much about contain or run fits. So the fact that the three best DE’s this century couldn’t come in as significant contributors would suggest that Jones likely won’t play a ton of snaps. If he does, we’ve really got something special!
I would not agree that AJE was not a significant contributor as a true freshman. If we get that many snaps from Craig, that would be just fine as well. The only issue with AJE is too many people expected him to start and play major snaps early, and that was neither warrented or needed...

Here's the problem: if someone's thoughts are not completely complimentary or are not your own, you consider it trolling.

Now, if I was here calling the staff a bunch of idiots because they aren't doing what I think would be beneficial? That'd be unreasonable and irrational. I'm not doing that.

Because you've associated my name HawkinArk with posts you haven't liked in the past leads you to attack me regardless of what I say every single time.

I'm not trolling. You're just being a huge asshole.

“I'm not trolling. You're just being a huge asshole”

Minus 1 Flagged for swearing (cussing) 15 yards first down Iowa

I
I understand that to a certain extent but think about the game of basketball - the guys clear down at the end of the bench typically see the court for 1-3 minutes at the end of games that are "outta hand" in our favor.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see a clearly-not-ready true freshman sent onto the field and get completely embarrassed, then get discouraged and lose all confidence during his first month in college.
I agree get them out there in situations like that but only the players that are physically ready, as well as if they're showing that certain type of eagerness in practice and film sessions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT