ADVERTISEMENT

Derecho footage

The lack of national attention sure makes it look like Ernst is weak and the electoral college isn’t protecting our interests.

Lol. Money and sympathy should be pouring into Iowa from all over the world to get the Internet up. Ethiopia has pledged a $1 a day and a sandwich for a month.

Reactions: GOHOX69
it was definitely some powerful wind. I have my pergola screwed down with eight 1/2" lag bolts and it took everything it had to keep it from blowing away. my neighbors patio chair blew by my backyard like a piece of paper. Crazy force!

Lol. Money and sympathy should be pouring into Iowa from all over the world to get the Internet up. Ethiopia has pledged a $1 a day and a sandwich for a month.
I don't understand the point of this. Some places like Cedar Rapids have been devastated. If reports of not having power for over a month in some areas because there are too many trees and power lines down to be dealt with doesn't qualify for disaster aid, I'm not sure what does.

If reports of not having power for over a month in some areas because there are too many trees and power lines down to be dealt with doesn't qualify for disaster aid, I'm not sure what does.

C’mon. State aid has been authorized. FEMA needs to be requested by the governor s/he feels it qualifies. At this point, so I’ve read, no such request has been made.

Reactions: UKGrad93
We have two big trees out front and could see the roots moving on one of them. If that would have went down it would have blocked off the street we live on and take awhile to cut up. That was crazy to see.

This is like a Floridian posting video of the horrors of a 4 inch snow fall!
A horrible comparison.

You guys know when a Cat 2/3 hurricane is coming. We didn’t.

A 4” snow takes half a day (if that) to “recover” from. Even when you have ample warning of a hurricane, it still takes you guys a while to get back to normal, right?

A horrible comparison.

You guys know when a Cat 2/3 hurricane is coming. We didn’t.

A 4” snow takes half a day (if that) to “recover” from. Even when you have ample warning of a hurricane, it still takes you guys a while to get back to normal, right?
We also have large trees that caused a lot of destruction. I'm sure florida has some tall trees but not the numbers we have in older neighborhoods.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
We also have large trees that caused a lot of destruction. I'm sure florida has some tall trees but not the numbers we have in older neighborhoods.
The landscapes are completely different. If it wasn’t worth it/too risky for us to have large, hardwood trees, we wouldn’t have them. Just a quick google satellite view of a neighborhood in Iowa vs. one in Florida shows how different we are.

We also have large trees that caused a lot of destruction. I'm sure Florida has some tall trees but not the numbers we have in older neighborhoods.
LOL-you clearly have never been to Tallahassee! I bet we have more trees in Leon County than a 1/4 of Iowa. Not even joking. And yea, they get big here too.
I was just having fun guys, and I do know it sucks because you never saw it coming and your utility infrastructure, houses, and yes trees, are not designed, evolved for a small, quick hurricane .

The landscapes are completely different. If it wasn’t worth it/too risky for us to have large, hardwood trees, we wouldn’t have them. Just a quick google satellite view of a neighborhood in Iowa vs. one in Florida shows how different we are.

You may want to look on the north part of state..

You may want to look on the north part of state..
Good point. I’ve only spent lengths of time in South Florida. Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely wooded areas where I was, but driving down a typical residential street, it wasn’t tree-lined and shaded.

I honestly don’t know, but is the northern part of the state affected by hurricanes to the extent that south Florida is?

LOL-you clearly have never been to Tallahassee! I bet we have more trees in Leon County than a 1/4 of Iowa. Not even joking. And yea, they get big here too.
I was just having fun guys, and I do know it sucks because you never saw it coming and your utility infrastructure, houses, and yes trees, are not designed, evolved for a small, quick hurricane .
I haven't been to Tallahassee but the parts of florida that I have been to didn't have large trees. I just assumed they were already taken out by hurricanes or people didn't plant large trees because of hurricanes.

Neighbor’s 60’ tree slammed into house. Roof system is effed, trusses broken. Drywall and insulation blown everywhere. Bedrooms are toast. Tree is still in the house, can’t tarp it until it’s out and structural engineers look at it. More storms coming tonight. Day five of no power. But really, it’s just some wind, nbd.

ADVERTISEMENT