ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Mitchell to RB

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Heard from a buddy that he is switching from WR to RB this spring. If true this could be the type of all-around back the Hawks have been lacking for awhile. Sounds like Mitchell comes in at 6'1" 212lbs. Know a guy who coached an opposing team in high school who stated to me after Mitchell signed that Mitchell was if not the most athletic runner then one of the top athletic runners in the state. Kid is or was fast as well. I hope he can make the transition to RB, having a 6'1 212lb athlete with speed who can run and catch would do wonders for the Iowa O this fall. Would be a nice weapon on 3rd and short downs.

Before all the bashers come calling I am not bashing on any of the other Iowa RB's. Not sure if the switch is because Kirk see's holes at RB this year or if it was Mitchell isnt working out at WR but also have heard that a DB is also making a switch to RB so maybe the coaches dont like what they all have at RB heading into the season.

Originally posted by Auger:
Heard from a buddy that he is switching from WR to RB this spring. If true this could be the type of all-around back the Hawks have been lacking for awhile. Sounds like Mitchell comes in at 6'1" 212lbs. Know a guy who coached an opposing team in high school who stated to me after Mitchell signed that Mitchell was if not the most athletic runner then one of the top athletic runners in the state. Kid is or was fast as well. I hope he can make the transition to RB, having a 6'1 212lb athlete with speed who can run and catch would do wonders for the Iowa O this fall. Would be a nice weapon on 3rd and short downs.

Before all the bashers come calling I am not bashing on any of the other Iowa RB's. Not sure if the switch is because Kirk see's holes at RB this year or if it was Mitchell isnt working out at WR but also have heard that a DB is also making a switch to RB so maybe the coaches dont like what they all have at RB heading into the season.
Sounds promising. On the other hand this isn't good for our WR group. Hoping he was going to be the young guy to break out this year at WR. Depth after Smith worries me with that group.

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:

Originally posted by Auger:

Sounds promising. On the other hand this isn't good for our WR group. Hoping he was going to be the young guy to break out this year at WR. Depth after Smith worries me with that group.
I agree. Seems like behind Willes, Mitchell was the most talked about underclassmen WR last spring. Our depth is thin at WR this year hopefully somebody new takes a big step forward this year.

It makes sense because Mitchell was a running QB for his high school. Marcel Jolly also switched to RB.

and the downside...puts an inexperienced back into the fray. In the BIG that's not a good thing behind an inexperienced line. If his leaning curve is high he can help in the depth at this position, but it sounds like the staff is just trying to plug a hole with this move.

Originally posted by Birky:
Originally posted by makeachange:
..frankly this move says it all about Iowa..in trouble.

I'm sensing a theme from this poster.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yup he is an idiot but obviously a better judge of talent than any of the coaches.
laugh.r191677.gif

This is very interesting, but it wouldn't surprise me if it lasts 2 weeks during the spring, and then he switches back. Unless he just wasn't getting it at WR, it seems we could use the depth at WR more than at RB, but who knows. I hope it works and he's melvin gordonesque back there!

What it says that we only have 1 RB even close to being an every down back on the spring roster - Daniels. And that's probably a stretch on 3rd down. I've been wondering about this since talking to Canzeri's dad quite a bit at the hotel in Jacksonville, as he was very adamant that they didn't want Jordan much past 12 carries a game. He felt Daniels was actually the key to Jordan's success. IMO, if you look at from this perspective, it's easy to see where a 212 lb athlete will fit in. Wadley and Parker have some skills, but they're just too small to carry much freight.

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:

Yup he is an idiot but obviously a better judge of talent than any of the coaches.
laugh.r191677.gif
There was hope by some that when the depth chart came out in August that Stone and Hillyer in the two deeps that it was to light a fire under Derrick Mitchell. He was the athlete that people pointed to as a guy that could step up and make something happen on the field. Now he is moving to a RB position that has Canzeri, Daniels, Wadley, and Parker. I think it is safe to say that he didn't work out at WR.

Now lets look at the WRs that this staff recently judged as being players that could play B10 football. Mitchell and Mabin are at different positions. AJ Jones, Cam Wilson, and Derrick Willies all transferred. Damon Powell couldn't learn the playbook. These strikeouts are the reason there is a gaping hole at the WR position.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:

laugh.r191677.gif
There was hope by some that when the depth chart came out in August that Stone and Hillyer in the two deeps that it was to light a fire under Derrick Mitchell. He was the athlete that people pointed to as a guy that could step up and make something happen on the field. Now he is moving to a RB position that has Canzeri, Daniels, Wadley, and Parker. I think it is safe to say that he didn't work out at WR.

Now lets look at the WRs that this staff recently judged as being players that could play B10 football. Mitchell and Mabin are at different positions. AJ Jones, Cam Wilson, and Derrick Willies all transferred. Damon Powell couldn't learn the playbook. These strikeouts are the reason there is a gaping hole at the WR position.

Parker is apparently moving to WR, or at least trying it out. Makes sense.

It'd be interesting to see if Parker could work out at WR... if Davis wants to get his spread type of offense going, then he's going to need someone that can dominate from the slot position

I just worry about our WR position. I hear KF talk about Vandenburg and Hillyer as our top targets with Tevaun Smith. Just makes me worry, because Smith is good and I think he will be a game changer this year, but we need more help! If Vandeberg and Hilleyer are playing significant snaps, Iowa will be in trouble.

I personally did not get a good vide from KF presser today. It actually made me worry more about this year. I was predicting something in the ball park of 8-4 or 7-5. After today I could see 6-6 or 5-7 possibly, which is scary.

My eyes did not deceive me. When I saw him last year on the field a few times, he looked to big and powerful from the hips down and I was wondering about him being an LB. He may be very good in the backfield.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:
I just worry about our WR position. I hear KF talk about Vandenburg and Hillyer as our top targets with Tevaun Smith. Just makes me worry, because Smith is good and I think he will be a game changer this year, but we need more help! If Vandeberg and Hilleyer are playing significant snaps, Iowa will be in trouble.

I personally did not get a good vide from KF presser today. It actually made me worry more about this year. I was predicting something in the ball park of 8-4 or 7-5. After today I could see 6-6 or 5-7 possibly, which is scary.
Then Iowa is in big trouble because there isn't anything behind them right now. Riley McCarron and Andrew Stone as the number #4 and #5 guys. It is scary.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Then Iowa is in big trouble because there isn't anything behind them right now. Riley McCarron and Andrew Stone as the number #4 and #5 guys. It is scary.
Jay Scheel will move up

I think everyone wishes we still have Willies. It's probably not a great sign that Andrew Stone is in the two-deeps. I think Jerminic Smith is going to have to see the field and I've read that he's probably the most ready to play between the incoming WR recruits. I think both Texas Tech and Texas A&M made a late push for him. Hopefully he can help out Tevaun Smith.

WR doesn't worry me. It think there are enough young guys that could step up. I like the thought of Parker as a slot guy.

I'm not sure why folks are saying this about Vandeberg honestly. While he shouldn't be our #1 target (that is obviously Smith), I think he showed several times last year that he could be a solid possession receiver ala KMM.

Originally posted by FranklinHawk:

I'm not sure why folks are saying this about Vandeberg honestly. While he shouldn't be our #1 target (that is obviously Smith), I think he showed several times last year that he could be a solid possession receiver ala KMM.
I'm curious to see how flip flopping Mitchell and Parker works out. I thought with CJ we may see Parker at RB a little more in the read option this year. Parker has proven he can be a threat with the ball in the open field.

For WR with depth hoping like most others Scheel steps up. Of our WR recruits maybe someone like Jerminic Smith has potential to play as a true frosh too to help with our depth at that position.

I don't think this bodes well for WR or RB. Obviously, he is getting beat out by at least one walk on at WR. The fact that they moved him to RB means they know it is a weakness. But who knows, hopefully he puts on 10 more pounds and is the next David Johnson.

Originally posted by Mohawkeye:
I don't think this bodes well for WR or RB. Obviously, he is getting beat out by at least one walk on at WR. The fact that they moved him to RB means they know it is a weakness. But who knows, hopefully he puts on 10 more pounds and is the next David Johnson.
Mitchell played a lot of option QB in hs and ran it well. He looks like a great athlete who played 6 positions in hs and I'm sure they are trying to figure out how to get him on the field. Without injuries he probably doesn't play this year, but if he grows into the position, next year will be wide open IMHO. I like this move. Still pretty thin at RB and although Wadley is very gifted, he hasn't appeared to have won over the coaches confidence yet
Parker would probably never play RB anyway and since he lined up in the slot a lot last year (mainly ran jet from it), this move also makes sense. He might be able to get more on those quick outs than MM did (as long as he doesn't throw it upfield?).
As far as reciever goes, I'm going out on a limb here and saying don't be suprised if they split Duzey out this year in certain packages. He has the speed, and it's a good mismatch against small corners in man coverage (which we saw a ton of last year). Between Coble, Duzey and Kittle (who hopefully is healthy now), they are fine at TE.

Originally posted by Cougar63:
Just because vandeberg and stone catch tans doesnt mean they cant play the position.
Yea, no kidding....I get they are not USC type receivers....well, Tevaun is quite impressive to me but Vandenberg has already made plenty of great catches and a couple from CJ against Tennessee. A very nice 16 yard out pass and a nice 18 yard TD pass to Vandy.

And look at the schedule....really? I am quite confident our unit of receivers which will include the true frosh receivers will be able to make plays against the likes of ISU, Pitt, No Texas St or even NW, IU, Illini, Minny, Maryland, PU and even Wisky and Nebby. Key is here you got a have a QB who can find the open receiver up the seem or down the sideline, who can make the pitch and then catch and we have that QB in CJ. Plus our TEs are as good as you are going to find against that schedule too....

I really don't get the worry....sorry I don't.
This post was edited on 3/27 11:51 AM by EduNeerHawk

You are correct except for one fatal flaw...Iowa is still at the mercy of KF and his staff. If it weren't for that albatross around the Hawkeyes' neck, I would agree that Iowa has enough talent to win the west and go 10-2 against this schedule. But the reality of the coaching staff drags folks back to reality of losing 2 or 3 games they shouldn't, which then makes 6-6 or so more likely. I keep hoping that with CJB at the helm, the kids can overcome the coaching staff and get er done anyway. Quite the situation. Thanks again, Mr. Barta.

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:
You are correct except for one fatal flaw...Iowa is still at the mercy of KF and his staff. If it weren't for that albatross around the Hawkeyes' neck, I would agree that Iowa has enough talent to win the west and go 10-2 against this schedule. But the reality of the coaching staff drags folks back to reality of losing 2 or 3 games they shouldn't, which then makes 6-6 or so more likely. I keep hoping that with CJB at the helm, the kids can overcome the coaching staff and get er done anyway. Quite the situation. Thanks again, Mr. Barta.
Although I also question some of the in game coaching and game plans, I didn't see KF miss numerous tackles from the safety position. I don't think it was GD who threw the pick six against Maryland to seal that deal (that was totally on JR and he admitted it), I don't think it was PP who got burnt on the double pass, etc. I'm quite convinced that I've never seen a KF team commit as many mental errors as this team this past year. Lack of talent? I don't believe so. I wish I had an answer (I'm sure the coaches feel the same way) or someone to blame for the absolute mental mishaps I watched last year (Parker throwing the KO back in bounds? Lomax running right by Gordon, etc.) that you have to admit are uncharacteristic of an Iowa team. I don't share your 'reality' about this coaching staff, but if I see some of the same things next year, then I will probably have to re-evaluate my postion.

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:
I can't and won't argue there were a few plays that kept this team from winning 2 or 3 of those games as you are saying....that's frustrating for sure. But it was also that close too, we got sideways in 3 of those losses so it could easily have been 10-3 ....that's frustrating as well. I see the talent to get it done with that schedule last year. Point is... we are not that far off at least with the teams we face again this year.

It's over and I am ready to move on. I do see a change in the QB with CJ as a big head start.... I just do. An extra drive here or there, two or three kept alive with either CJ's arm or his legs with just one extra TD or FG is all we are talking about to get some more wins....not that far off. I need to see what happens with Spring Ball. Some unknown young talent at some positions, I get that but I like the talent. I'm looking forward seeing what these players can do? Against next year's schedule...we can do this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT