ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines storm (also some Iowa towns of less importance with worse pizza)

Do you have lots of bottled water?
Actually still have plastic gallon jugs hidden under blankets from my March coronavirus panic. I had my brother help me get a big haul of heavy stuff after my surgery around that time. That's one thing I've learned about a viral pandemic: probably no threat to the water supply.

Our Storm is better!

storm-logo-2020.jpg

Lights have flickered a few times but so far I haven't last power in Ankeny. Nastiest thunderstorm I can recall in awhile.

Went from cloudy to super dark and stormy in seemingly 5 minutes. A little surprised I haven't heard of a tornado in the area.

Just watched 3 different full size trampolines fly past our house. See at least two trees snapped off and fences ripped to shreds in Bondurant. Had to be 80 mph plus winds. Crazy stuff

Reactions: Tom Paris
Just watched 3 different full size trampolines fly past our house. See at least two trees snapped off and fences ripped to shreds in Bondurant. Had to be 80 mph plus winds. Crazy stuff

Yea. It's a derecho event. Eastern Iowa is going to get blasted later this afternoon. Common to see 80-90 mph winds in these events.

Today was garbage day in our area so trash cans and branches are all over the parking. I only put ours out every other week when also do recycling so fortunately no nasty picking up for me.

Yes. I'm close to the Jordan Creek mall. No power issues.

no fair. We are also near Jordan Creek and ours has been out almost since the storm started. Thankfully I had just finished my last court for the day. Guess I have to take a nap until the internet works again.

No power here in South Park neighborhood or for my buddy near Beaverdale. Tree wants to fall on my car outside and I'm going to stay in and let it if it does. Any of the burbs still have power?
I was working from home in Ankeny today. Was. Lost parts of my fence and a hot tub cover that I know of so far. Still raining so haven't ventured out to fully assess the damage.

Tree fell on my Infinity in the drive way. Crushed our basketball hoop. Our front door and garage door are completely blocked by the branches. This is at 50th/ashworth WDM. When sirens first went off I looked at the radar and didn't see anything crazy and then 2 minutes later it was on us. Usually I'm outside watching the winds but TBW and I ran downstairs with the kids the winds were so intense. Didn't want to get Darwin'd.

Never lost power though.

And, here it comes to IC. Hauling around patio furniture and crossing my fingers on the power and trees.

Tree fell on my Infinity in the drive way. Crushed our basketball hoop. Our front door and garage door are completely blocked by the branches. This is at 50th/ashworth WDM. When sirens first went off I looked at the radar and didn't see anything crazy and then 2 minutes later it was on us. Usually I'm outside watching the winds but TBW and I ran downstairs with the kids the winds were so intense. Didn't want to get Darwin'd.

Never lost power though.
This is the first storm in years and years where I felt compelled to go into the basement. Just was not sure what shit might be hurtling through the air and into/onto our house.

It must be serious because usually by now I'd already have 3 emails from MidAmerican about the outage.

It must be serious because usually by now I'd already have 3 emails from MidAmerican about the outage.
Here's a list from the city of ankeny as to what has happened so far:

ANKENY ROAD CLOSURES & STORM UPDATES:

• SE 3rd and Sharon
  • SE Lawrence and Sharon
  • SW Westview and Magazine
  • NW Georgetown and Ash Drive
  • NW 10th and State Street
  • Down electric pole at First and Scott Street
  • 3600 block of SE Delaware blocked
  • Pleasant south of First Street
  • School Street, south of First Street
  • Fire at SW Westlawn