ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis Claus gives state workers extra holiday days off....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
State workers will have off Nov. 23, Dec. 23 and Dec. 30.

Christmas isn’t here yet, but Mariah Carey is warming up and DeSanta Claus is coming to town.

State workers will get each business day off before three upcoming major holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day, Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Thursday.

State offices will close Nov. 23, Dec. 23 and Dec. 30. Christmas and New Year’s fall on a Sunday this year, so workers will have off the Friday before those holidays.

“Our state employees have worked hard throughout the year, especially over the past few months responding to Hurricane Ian and Hurricane Nicole,” DeSantis said in a released statement.

“Closing state offices on November 23, December 23 and December 30 will provide state employees with some much-deserved time with their families to enjoy the holiday season. The First Lady and I are thankful for the dedication our state employees have demonstrated to helping the people of Florida.”

The days off are in addition to the following Monday off state workers already were due.

DeSantis made a similar declaration the last three years for Christmas and New Year’s, which fell on a Saturday, giving workers the Friday before off as well.

DeSantis’ predecessor, Rick Scott, also typically gave state workers an extra day off for Christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Wait… why does this need to be announced only a couple weeks in advance?

It’s despicable that this is not automatic, and that every employee doesn’t already know it at the beginning of the calendar year.

• Haha
Reactions: JMSBFD
It doesn’t need to be announced at all.
This is dictator DeSantis shutting down the government (for three extra days) on his own whim!

It’s despicable that this is not automatic, and that every employee doesn’t already know it at the beginning of the calendar year.
Next person I meet that is mad about it, I’ll let you know. :rolleyes:

It's how the Federal Govt has done it since I worked in the Federal Govt. They still decide usually a few days to a few weeks before the holiday.

Pretty sure getting those days off isn't dependent on religion.
Sure. And, all state workers getting an extra day off when DeSantis orders state offices closed for Yom Kippur? Everyone gets a day off when DeSantis closes state offices to celebrate the breaking of the fast during Ramadan?

• Haha
Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Sure. And, all state workers getting an extra day off when DeSantis orders state offices closed for Yom Kippur? Everyone gets a day off when DeSantis closes state offices to celebrate the breaking of the fast during Ramadan?

All the state workers get a couple more days off....pretty sure none of them are bitching about it because of their religion. They're just enjoying a couple more days off. Jeesh...

Are there any states that close down state offices for Ramadan or Yom Kippur? If not, what weird thing to bring up....

Since you brought up Yom Kippur it gives me an opportunity to once again tout my favorite Jon Stewart joke, from his appearance many years ago on “Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist”:

“Yom Kippur - Jewish day of atonement. You don’t eat for one day, all your sin for the year is wiped clean. Beat that, with your ‘Lent’. What is that, 40 days? Even in sin they’re paying retail.”

Is there any state or federal entity that observes those holidays with closure?

Or are you trying too hard?

It's how the Federal Govt has done it since I worked in the Federal Govt. They still decide usually a few days to a few weeks before the holiday.
Not true. If a federal holiday falls on a Saturday you get the Friday before off and if on a Sunday you get Monday off. Maybe you are confusing that some years the president will also grant an additional day or part of a day off before Christmas.

All the state workers get a couple more days off....pretty sure none of them are bitching about it because of their religion. They're just enjoying a couple more days off. Jeesh...

Are there any states that close down state offices for Ramadan or Yom Kippur? If not, what weird thing to bring up....
In Florida, the State Courts System has observed Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashana as holidays for a number of years. The Executive branch has never observed these holidays.

It’s a nice gesture for sure....but Christmas and NYD are on Sunday, so in effect he’s giving workers a day off they normally would have gotten, per the calendar. If I was a chronic complainer though, I would have rather gotten the Monday off after Christmas and NYD.

It’s a nice gesture for sure....but Christmas and NYD are on Sunday, so in effect he’s giving workers a day off they normally would have gotten, per the calendar. If I was a chronic complainer though, I would have rather gotten the Monday off after Christmas and NYD.

From the story in the OP:

The days off are in addition to the following Monday off state workers already were due.

Reactions: goldmom and joelbc1
Stuff like this makes me start to think that Desantis is a good guy after all.

Then I remember he's a heartless, insecure prick who makes cruel decisions for the sake of political theater.

Besides the day before thanksgiving aren’t the other two standard practice for every state?
It’s never been standard in Florida, though many Governors have used their authority to give employees extra days. This is the first time in my recollection that the day before Thanksgiving has been given. Crist gave the week between Christmas and New Years Day off once. Most have given the one or two days around those holidays.

Your stupidity continues to amaze me.

Fair is fair.
And the law is the law. Christmas has been a federal holiday since 1870. If you want Yom Kippur and Ramadan added to the list then my suggestion to you is start a grassroots letter-writing campaign to members of Congress.

Years ago I was working for a Japanese firm based in LA. Christmas and New Years fell on Wednesday that year so they gave us Monday and Tuesday off for both weeks. I ended up using vacation days for Thursday and Friday of each week and ended up with 2 weeks of vacation that only cost me 4 days of PTO.

That was a sweet deal. That was probably the best company I ever worked for as they also gave great Christmas bonuses as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT