ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis...what is it with this guy?

For a so-called conservative, he sure likes big government.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis suggested Wednesday that he might urge the state's child protective services to investigate parents who take their children to drag shows.

When asked by reporters whether he would support proposed legislation from a Florida state representative that would punish parents who take their children to such performances, the governor said he has asked his staff to look into the idea.

"We have child protective statutes on the books," the governor said. "We have laws against child endangerment."

“It used to be kids would be off-limits. Used to be everybody agreed with that,” DeSantis continued. “Now it just seems like there’s a concerted effort to be exposing kids more and more to things that are not age appropriate.”

. . .

"That is totally inappropriate. That is not something children should be exposed to," DeSantis said Wednesday of the video. "And so, we probably, we may have the ability to deal with something like that if something like that happens."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-weighs-ordering-child-protective-182636185.html
So parents don’t get to make decisions about their kids now?? I can’t keep up with the nonstop switching cons do. This seems like a lack of freedom.

That’s what you said to me. To people a lot smarter than you and me, these feelings are growing louder. We have been warned for decades about Evangelicals taking over our government, and every month we get closer to it. They are like terminators. You can’t reason with them and they absolutely will not stop.

They are saying it right out loud if you’ll truly start listening. I just saw a clip of some moron telling LBGTQ they are going to take away all of their rights. He’s not lying to them.

No way he knows what neoliberalism even is. Most of the people on these forums don't, and neoliberals have been running the party for 30+ years. Well done neoliberals, well done.
It's hard to see the forest for the trees when you've been blinded by the Reagan act for 30 years.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and Moral
How is that child abuse? If parents take their children to see Mrs. Doubtfire, is that also child abuse? Where is the line drawn and who says he's qualified to draw it for every family?
Please stay away from children if you think Mrs. Doubtfire is the same as a drag show. Sheesh....

DeSantis is just another Republican moron. Nothing special. Dime a dozen, assuming anybody wants to pony up the dime.
This is where these gop leaders have fooled you. Many are Harvard educated. They are not morons. They know how to throw red meat to get the intended results. While the left is busy distracted by this they do something with the other hand.

This is where these gop leaders have fooled you. Many are Harvard educated. They are not morons. They know how to throw red meat to get the intended results. While the left is busy distracted by this they do something with the other hand.
Whoa! DeSantis is a Yale man. Never get those two confused.

Reactions: ericram
CPS workers would want nothing to do with this issue. It has 0 to do with child safety. What would the outcome/solution of their intervention be?

People can agree they wouldn’t take their kids to a drag show but still believe it’s not the state’s place to intervene.
Someone has to intervene. The parents should be arrested and lose the kids. These people are extremely dangerous and are ruining our country.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
People can agree they wouldn’t take their kids to a drag show but still believe it’s not the state’s place to intervene.
We all agree CPS needs to get involved to save a kid in certain situations. Parents that take their kids to orgies, for example. The only disagreement is where to draw the line. Drag shows might not be on the other side of the line, but they are on the spectrum of irresponsible parental behavior to be sure.

Reactions: EasyHawk
How is that child abuse? If parents take their children to see Mrs. Doubtfire, is that also child abuse? Where is the line drawn and who says he's qualified to draw it for every family?
We draw the line as a society all the time. If a kid is surrounded by drug use, for example, we have determined that a kid needs to be removed, even if they are not being abused.

It’s certainly irresponsible to take a young child to a drag show, and it is the responsibility of adults in a society to look out for them.

There was a drag show in the park at our Pride Day this weekend. Lot of kids and families there. I don’t know how they survived Diana Ross and Madonna impersonators.

I thing people are confusing drag with burlesque.

There was a drag show in the park at our Pride Day this weekend. Lot of kids and families there. I don’t know how they survived Diana Ross and Madonna impersonators.

I thing people are confusing drag with burlesque.
This is what I was going to post. There certainly are drag shows that are burlesque in nature and I think all sane people would agree children should not attend a show like that. But I have seen more and more lately that some shows are very mild. The MAGAts are just freaking out because they are appalled by the idea of men dressing as woman at all.

There are plenty of parents that have either questionable or out right terrible personal beliefs that don't have CPS called on them.

So while there may be a line we draw as a society, taking your kids to a Pride Drag Show is pretty far down the list of concerns we should have.

We draw the line as a society all the time. If a kid is surrounded by drug use, for example, we have determined that a kid needs to be removed, even if they are not being abused.

It’s certainly irresponsible to take a young child to a drag show, and it is the responsibility of adults in a society to look out for them.

You are projecting your sense of morality on everyone else and that isn't right or fair.

• Haha
You are projecting your sense of morality on everyone else and that isn't right or fair.
So when will you be taking your grand baby to the nearest strip club? I’m thinking there are probably a few in your county near the military base?

Some people’s “morality” leads them to think that beating a child within an inch of their life is wrong. Damn that projection anyway you know?

You’re correct. I’m also making the point that we do this as a society all the time. I can’t walk down the street naked. You can’t drop F bombs on broadcast TV. You’re supposed to be 17 to watch an R rated movie.

The post modernist ideas that all morality is relative and we should have a loose moral code have been destructive to our culture IMO. Sicking CPS on these parents might be overboard but DeSantis is likely just trying to send a message, both to these parents to let them know there are boundaries, and of course his political base.

So when will you be taking your grand baby to the nearest strip club? I’m thinking there are probably a few in your county near the military base?
Other than sixers, who said anything about a strip club? Talk about projection. Why don't you read up on the topic (which started in Texas btw) and get back with us.

Some people’s “morality” leads them to think that beating a child within an inch of their life is wrong. Damn that projection anyway you know?
So now you're conflating actual physical abuse with taking a child to a pride day event. And I'm the one projecting? Sheesh.

Why do you think laws are made? Most all laws are based on what society believes is important for society. Should the government allow child prostitution so the parents can raise money for the kids college? No because it is morally repugnant as is taking a child to a drag show. The reason a law doesn't already exist is who would have thought the left who ever be this despicable.

Why do you think laws are made? Most all laws are based on what society believes is important for society. Should the government allow child prostitution so the parents can raise money for the kids college? No because it is morally repugnant as is taking a child to a drag show. The reason a law doesn't already exist is who would have thought the left who ever be this despicable.
So far we have the right wingers equating pseudo drag shows to strip clubs, physical child abuse and now child prostitution. You guys are laughable.

Reactions: TylerJ76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT