ADVERTISEMENT

Desanto to Iowa

Glad DeSanto will join the Hawks. I'm not quite as excited as it appears most of the others here are, though. 133 is a highly-competitive weight and while we can expect DeSanto to get more tourney points than Glynn, it's going to be tough to see him anything beyond low AA at this point.

Also, while the Brands are very good coaches, this appears to be a different type of personality than they've really experienced and going to likely require more subtlety / nuancing than the coaches have used in the past.

Cautiously optimistic.

2020 here we come!! we will be solid next year but still along ways away from keeping up with penn state. 2020 will be a stack team with:
125 lee
133 desanto
141 murin
149 lugo
157 Kem
165 Bull
174 Young
184 Wilcke
197 Warner
285 Cass
How is this much different from next year? Granted a lot of guys will be a year older but I'd expect more points out of SR Stoll than fresh Cass and isn't 2020 an Olympic year? Don't we expect Lee to challenge for 57kg?
I'm also not convinced Kem can hold 57 much longer.
I'm all in on 2019, psu being stacked or not.

How is this much different from next year? Granted a lot of guys will be a year older but I'd expect more points out of SR Stoll than fresh Cass and isn't 2020 an Olympic year? Don't we expect Lee to challenge for 57kg?
Ummm Nolf, Nickal, Nevills, & Shakur graduate. That's how it's different...

the lineup will be about the same except for 285. w/ deSanto having a full year under TnT will be much improved and the fact that PSU graduates nickal, nolf, Rasheed, and nevills we will be in a good spot to take the title. I think lee will pull what Snyder did and wrestle the folkstyle season and still contend for the gold in 2020. he is a gamer and wont like sitting out just for the Olympics. I'm all in for 2019 as well, just don't see us getting past psu and will finish 2nd

Reactions: Mendoza77
the lineup will be about the same except for 285. w/ deSanto having a full year under TnT will be much improved and the fact that PSU graduates nickal, nolf, Rasheed, and nevills we will be in a good spot to take the title. I think lee will pull what Snyder did and wrestle the folkstyle season and still contend for the gold in 2020. he is a gamer and wont like sitting out just for the Olympics. I'm all in for 2019 as well, just don't see us getting past psu and will finish 2nd

Wait till Ruth and DT leave...... just need to keep raising the bar because psu probably isn't going to fall back if at all.

Last edited:
1) I don't believe that nor should you. Most people believe he requires a strong figure in his life to guide him, and he'll get that at Iowa. We're talking about a young man of 19. Wouldn't it be great if he got his head on straight and had a productive life? So the takeaway here is that he needed a life coach as well as a wrestling coach, and he'll have that now. Everything else is minor. No reason to hate Iowa. It's a good match, but Austin needs to make good on this.

2) Spencer is head and shoulders better than Austin, and anyone else for that matter. He beat Spencer when Spencer was not at his best. I expect Austin to get more out of rolling around than Spencer. He could learn a lot regarding mat wrestling. The biggest thing is that Spencer is a good role model, and I expect his focus on the important things to rub off on Austin.
I agree, AD should really benefit from the mental lessons he will be taught. He really bought into Spencer’s “We are a family at Iowa, we ALL want to see each other do well.”
I would not be surprised if he also talked with Glynn. We were privileged to sit just behind some of the guys on the team not participating at Nationals. When Lee won his title, Glynn was absolutely giddy and rushed out of his seat to congratulate him.

I agree, AD should really benefit from the mental lessons he will be taught. He really bought into Spencer’s “We are a family at Iowa, we ALL want to see each other do well.”
I would not be surprised if he also talked with Glynn. We were privileged to sit just behind some of the guys on the team not participating at Nationals. When Lee won his title, Glynn was absolutely giddy and rushed out of his seat to congratulate him.

Paul is welcome to come back this year and take DeSanto out. If Paul made that kind of leap, than Iowa fans would support him or whoever takes over 133...as long as its someone who is a threat to AA and give us some points at nationals.

Glad DeSanto will join the Hawks. I'm not quite as excited as it appears most of the others here are, though. 133 is a highly-competitive weight and while we can expect DeSanto to get more tourney points than Glynn, it's going to be tough to see him anything beyond low AA at this point.

Also, while the Brands are very good coaches, this appears to be a different type of personality than they've really experienced and going to likely require more subtlety / nuancing than the coaches have used in the past.

Cautiously optimistic.

Would tend to disagree. DeSanto is a great wrestler and has a great motor and a lot of upside. He should AA next year and will be good. We also have him for a total of three years which is huge for us. I think he is a NC contender in a year or two if his energy is focused correctly. I like his potential much more than Renteria or Teasedale.

Last edited:
2020 here we come!! we will be solid next year but still along ways away from keeping up with penn state. 2020 will be a stack team with:
125 lee
133 desanto
141 murin
149 lugo
157 Kem
165 Bull
174 Young
184 Wilcke
197 Warner
285 Cass

I'll disagree...PSU in 2019 is still going to be a super team, but not unbeatable...no team is IMO. I would still rate PSU as a favorite next year, but Iowa is suddenly right in the mix. An injury and/or upset here or there, etc, and things could change pretty quickly.

49 is staked next year. A lot of good wrestlers could miss the stand.

Huh, I assume you meant stacked? 149 thins out considerably and we will be in a wait and see approach with 141 guys possibly moving up and freshman fitting in.

Here is the "proven" list at 149:

1-Kolodzik-Highest returning placer-3rd. Also, took 7th at 141 the year prior, as a freshman.
2-Leeth-1st time AA-6th as a junior.
3-Lewallen-1st time AA-8th as a sophomore. May not even be the guy at 149 next year.
4-Hayes-R12 in his first try, missed out the year before due to injury.
5-Oliver-2X AA but R12 last year. Transferring, so not sure what to expect.
6-Thomsen-R12 last year and AA-6th as a freshman the year before.
7-Degan-R12 for ISU as a freshman
8-Lugo-R12 as a freshman and 1-2 as a soph. Pinned Kolodzik last year while redshirting.

Rumors have Ashnault moving up to 149 and M. Jordan may possibly be back down to 149. PSU has either Verkleeren or Berge coming into this weight.

Exactly what guy in this list would you favor over Lugo?

Cautiously optimistic.

I agree 100%.

Tom and Terry turned a state runner up into a true freshman national champ. Just think what they can do with the guy who beat him?!
Please tell me this is a little tongue in cheek. TNT are great coaches, but Spencer was no run of the mill state runner up.

My instinct is that ad will do well under tnt, but assuming ad has some autism issues, I do think some of you are overstating the degree to which solid mentor ship can solve what is fundamentally a medical issue any more than it could heal a broken leg. Best of luck but be wary and patient.

Huh, I assume you meant stacked? 149 thins out considerably and we will be in a wait and see approach with 141 guys possibly moving up and freshman fitting in.

1-Kolodzik-Highest returning placer-3rd. Also, took 7th at 141 the year prior, as a freshman.
3-Lewallen-1st time AA-8th as a sophomore. May not even be the guy at 149 next year.
8-Lugo-R12 as a freshman and 1-2 as a soph. Pinned Kolodzik last year while redshirting.

Rumors have Ashnault moving up to 149 and M. Jordan may possibly be back down to 149. PSU has either Verkleeren or Berge coming into this weight.

Thanks for doing this. I'm not saying Lugo is going to win a national title, but he is certainly capable based on this list.

Oliver has visited PSU and is scheduled for ISU. So depending on where he decides could take a couple of those guys out

Please tell me this is a little tongue in cheek. TNT are great coaches, but Spencer was no run of the mill state runner up.

My instinct is that ad will do well under tnt, but assuming ad has some autism issues, I do think some of you are overstating the degree to which solid mentor ship can solve what is fundamentally a medical issue any more than it could heal a broken leg. Best of luck but be wary and patient.
whooooosh!

712.gif

https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...-now-that-the-zain-train-has-left-the-station

Like I said Stacked and many could miss the stand. Flo thinks Lugo will finish 5th. I sure hope so. Heck I think he could even do higher, but with that field it is possible he and many other good wrestlers miss he stand.

ME TWO MONTHS AGO: Cut it out with all that Vision Quest crap, DeSanto / Lee was not Vision Quest, it was a seriously injured and physically limited champ , losing a close one to a guy he teched the year before.
ME TWO MINUTES AGO: Dude we got the best 125 in the world and we just added the Vision Quest kid as our 133, sh#ts off the hook in IC CHA!!!!!

I thought Yianni was moving up.

Would tend to disagree. DeSanto is a great wrestler and has a great motor and a lot of upside. He should AA next year and will be good. We also have him for a total of three years which is huge for us. I think he is a NC contender in a year or two if his energy is focused correctly. I like his potential much more than Renteria or Teasedale.
I think you got a good one there. Big upgrade from Glynn, and a real crowd-pleaser. To me, he's the epitome of the Hawkeye style -- hi pressure; hi pace; and hi offense.

It was 83% tongue in cheek dude. We like to have f** here in the cesspool.
I thought more like 64%, but there was a small part of me (about 36%) that thought that maybe, just maybe, we might be moving toward recognition that bael might be able to coach. But I guess it was only 17%.

Either way good luck with and to ad

Reactions: Fan In Black
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT