ADVERTISEMENT

Describe a first experience with a food you love.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I was a bit of a picky eater growing up, and for some reason wouldn't eat tomatoes. I'd eat tomato sauce, but not an uncooked tomato on a sandwich or salad. One summer in college a buddy of mine and I drove out to Idaho to do some hiking, and then down to SF to see his sister who was completing her doctorate at UCSF. Cool trip. She lived a few blocks from Haight Ashbury, and the morning we left town we took a walk down there and I'll never forget seeing a kid in a doorway smoking a joint about the size of a Cuban cigar. About 2 in the afternoon me and my buddy used his sister's hand written directions to get to I-80 so we could drive back to IC. We drove up through Donner Pass and into Nevada and late at night stopped in some little town with a big diner next to the interstate. I ordered a club sandwich, but forgot to tell the waitress to leave the tomatoes off. When it came I was too exhausted to bother taking them off, and found that I actually like tomatoes.
CSB, I'm now a tomato snob.
Describe a food you fell in love with, or something you thought you didn't like, but now love.

Gyros.

At Iowa, all my drunk friends would line up for them after we left the Fieldhouse or College St Club or whatever. Hated them at the time.

Fast forward a few years. Went to an authentic Greek place here in the Lou called Olympia and they were outstanding.

Don’t know what changed but now, a fresh gyro with tzatziki sauce .... more please.

Growing up, the only pizza I had was my parent's homemade stuff using Chef Boyardee. Yech. It only took a pepperoni frozen pizza (Tony's IIRC) in my early teens to give me a hint of what I had been missing.

Asparagus. Never had it as a kid but never thought I liked it. Just a stupid thought kids have I guess. Moved into a new house with an asparagus patch in backyard. The wife (no pics) was all excited about it and cooked some for me. Now I look forward to every spring. Grill them, bake them whatever. I'll eat them.

Growing up, the only pizza I had was my parent's homemade stuff using Chef Boyardee. Yech. It only took a pepperoni frozen pizza (Tony's IIRC) in my early teens to give me a hint of what I had been missing.
When Tony's is a hallmark of deliciousness, that is all you need to know about Chef f&ckingBoyardee. My parents would feed me their beefaroni and ravioli growing up. Absolutely disgusting and I can't believe they did that to me given their high standards for themselves.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I was a bit of a picky eater growing up, and for some reason wouldn't eat tomatoes. I'd eat tomato sauce, but not an uncooked tomato on a sandwich or salad. One summer in college a buddy of mine and I drove out to Idaho to do some hiking, and then down to SF to see his sister who was completing her doctorate at UCSF. Cool trip. She lived a few blocks from Haight Ashbury, and the morning we left town we took a walk down there and I'll never forget seeing a kid in a doorway smoking a joint about the size of a Cuban cigar. About 2 in the afternoon me and my buddy used his sister's hand written directions to get to I-80 so we could drive back to IC. We drove up through Donner Pass and into Nevada and late at night stopped in some little town with a big diner next to the interstate. I ordered a club sandwich, but forgot to tell the waitress to leave the tomatoes off. When it came I was too exhausted to bother taking them off, and found that I actually like tomatoes.
CSB, I'm now a tomato snob.
Describe a food you fell in love with, or something you thought you didn't like, but now love.
Probably the food I like most the idea of which grossed me out as a kid is calamari. Not just the rings but the little bastards fried whole. Mix in some fried cherry peppers and accompany with a nice marinara and a spicy aoili and this dude is on cloud 9. I could probably eat that every day for the rest of my life, along with pizza and tacos with fresh pico, sauce/salsa, and lime juice.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Asparagus. Never had it as a kid but never thought I liked it. Just a stupid thought kids have I guess. Moved into a new house with an asparagus patch in backyard. The wife (no pics) was all excited about it and cooked some for me. Now I look forward to every spring. Grill them, bake them whatever. I'll eat them.
For a long time I didn't eat asparagus. I think it was because my parents made me eat it a few times when I was a kid and I didn't like it. Now as an adult I love it. I usually toss it in some EVOO and sprinkle on some SPG and then give it a few minutes on the grill. That and a properly baked potato are the perfect sides to a ribeye steak.

For a long time I didn't eat asparagus. I think it was because my parents made me eat it a few times when I was a kid and I didn't like it. Now as an adult I love it. I usually toss it in some EVOO and sprinkle on some SPG and then give it a few minutes on the grill. That and a properly baked potato are the perfect sides to a ribeye steak.
Yes that is a good one. I go back and forth between grilling with a char, and a nice poached/steamed asparagus where it is succulent but not mush. A fine line I have crossed on more than one occassion.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Thought of another one. Ribs. My dad would slather them in sauce, which I hated. I always thought ribs were just OK until I went to Pappy's in St Louis. Opened my eyes to what great BBQ really was

Reactions: noleclone2
One time I heated up an apple pie in the microwave and then humped it on the kitchen counter and my dad walked in on me and it was super awkward.

Oh, and my dad is Eugene Levy
We may have already done a thread about this, I'm too lazy to look it up. But at the risk of sidetracking the thread I'm going to drop this here.

When I was 4 or 5, I went with my folks to a cookout one of their friend's was hosting in Juno Beach. There was a guy there shucking oysters and the adults thought it would be funny to see a young kid eat an oyster. I did and then I ended up eating close to a dozen (with saltines and cocktail sauce) and haven't looked back since.

Other foods I remember eating for the first time: Gyros, crabcakes, grouper fingers, lobster roll and steamers, mussels, funnel cake

When I was 4 or 5, I went with my folks to a cookout one of their friend's was hosting in Juno Beach. There was a guy there shucking oysters and the adults thought it would be funny to see a young kid eat an oyster. I did and then I ended up eating close to a dozen (with saltines and cocktail sauce) and haven't looked back since.

Other foods I remember eating for the first time: Gyros, crabcakes, grouper fingers, lobster roll and steamers, mussels, funnel cake
Few things on earth are better than fresh shucked oysters. My wife was aghast that a buddy and I put down about 5 dozen and a 12 pack of beers at a picnic in South Carolina in one sitting, lol.

Few things on earth are better than fresh shucked oysters. My wife was aghast that a buddy and I put down about 5 dozen and a 12 pack of beers at a picnic in South Carolina in one sitting, lol.
Taste is a funny thing. Oysters both fresh and Rockefeller were a huge disappointment for me. Not bad I just don't get the love. On the other hand, I don't want to see it being made but escargot is one of the more delicious things I've had. I'd throw in calamari (as noted above), crab, fried clams, scallops, and shrimp done 100 different ways. Then, I have had octopus but thought it was not very good to borderline gross.

I totally agree. We spend most thanksgiving weeks at our place in South Carolina (near Beaufort). We'll usually go through a couple bushels of clusters during that time. Most of them make their way to the fire pit to be roasted, but I'll still shuck quite a few and eat them raw. Oysters, fresh shrimp and steamed blue crabs (caught by me) are generally part of our Thanksgiving day fare. Sometimes, I won't eat any turkey at all. I know there will be plenty for sandwiches afterwards.

Beer and oysters pare up really well.

Reactions: torbee
I totally agree. We spend most thanksgiving weeks at our place in South Carolina (near Beaufort). We'll usually go through a couple bushels of clusters during that time. Most of them make their way to the fire pit to be roasted, but I'll still shuck quite a few and eat them raw. Oysters, fresh shrimp and steamed blue crabs (caught by me) are generally part of our Thanksgiving day fare. Sometimes, I won't eat any turkey at all. I know there will be plenty for sandwiches afterwards.

Beer and oysters pare up really well.
Well hot damn despite my comments about oysters above that sounds pretty great.

Reactions: cfbfan23
I was never a picky eater and would try (and eat) everything that my folks dished out. Except for two things: cornmeal mush and rhubarb. The smell makes me gag and the taste turns my stomach, even to this day.

I was never a picky eater and would try (and eat) everything that my folks dished out. Except for two things: cornmeal mush and rhubarb. The smell makes me gag and the taste turns my stomach, even to this day.
With regard to rhubarb, a good rule of thumb is that if you need to add cups of sugar to it to make it taste good, it doesn't taste good.

Reactions: lucas80

I need to know more about how they turned Chef Boyardee into pizza?

Asparagus here, too. First tried it in college. One of the wedding buffet staples at the country club where I worked was cold, balsamic-marinated asparagus. One of the best things I'd ever had. And the next day, that pee smell... 😋

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Growing up my mom would cook asparagus out of the can. Grey, stank ass mush. Hated it. Years later after I moved out, bought it fresh and threw some on the grill with evoo, salt, pepper. The difference between the two is incomparable. Damn son, been hooked ever since.

That was like a tues down here in FL pre-hurricane Michael. Not many things can beat that. Oh and it's got to be cheap american beer, everything has it's purposes.

need to know more about how they turned Chef Boyardee into pizza?
They used to have a pizza kit in a box, where you make the dough, spoon on the sauce, and sprinkle it with some weird parmesan concoction. Came out like an orange, greasy, rubber cookie. Nasty.

One time I heated up an apple pie in the microwave and then humped it on the kitchen counter and my dad walked in on me and it was super awkward.

Oh, and my dad is Eugene Levy
At first, I was skeptical of this story. But then you gave the full name of your dad and I was like, “Whoa, that Torbs guy knows how to get down.”

Reactions: torbee
I'll add sushi. Used to think it was bait, yada yada yada. I was visiting a friend at uf in gainesville and we went on a double date to a sushi place (girls choice). I was like, eff that I want bbq or wings etc, but rolled out anyway. Had no clue what to get and just got a sampler plate, like eff me. Well it came out and took a bite and instantly knew what it was all about. Tore that shit up like a cave man. I remember thinking this is going to be a life long lesson in food. Always be open to new food and at least try a bite, even if it looks like it belongs on a hook or a toilet.

I'll add sushi. Used to think it was bait, yada yada yada. I was visiting a friend at uf in gainesville and we went on a double date to a sushi place (girls choice). I was like, eff that I want bbq or wings etc, but rolled out anyway. Had no clue what to get and just got a sampler plate, like eff me. Well it came out and took a bite and instantly knew what it was all about. Tore that shit up like a cave man. I remember thinking this is going to be a life long lesson in food. Always be open to new food and at least try a bite, even if it looks like it belongs on a hook or a toilet.
When an entire culture loves a food, one should assume it has some redeeming qualities. :)

Yep, sushi. My now-wife took me to Taki in Urbandale on one of our first dates. I thought sushi was basically seaweed and vegetables. Tried to have me try a veggie roll at first and I refused. She got me sold when I tried the Philadelphia roll and a Captain Crunch roll with shrimp tempura and crab. Now I'll eat any sushi, any time. Even a veggie one.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My parents never, ever BBQ'd. They fried or baked damn near everything (poorly). My parents simply were never adventurous with their cooking. In retrospect, it wasn't what they fed us - it was how they cooked it. It was oven baked or pan fried...which can be done up right - they just didn't do it up right for most all things meat.

Keep in mind, they were depression era. My father never cooked. My mother worked both days and many nights. Thankfully, I worked in restaurants back in the late 70's and early 80's to where I could see other ways to cook meats to where I felt like trying new things.

The first time I BBQ's chicken on my own was at approximately 25 years of age, 1987ish. Trust me, it was nothing astonishing as far as gear used. A cheap $5 charcoal wire grill, bag of Kingsford. I was poor, and this was the cheapest way to begin grilling.

It forever changed how I cooked meat. I slowly migrated to grilling steaks and pork (and stepping up my gear) to where I have "my system" perfected (simple, hot and fast) and can nail most meals I eat.

My stove top/oven and fryer rarely get used. Hell, I bought brand new for both a few years ago and they still look like new.

Another vote for Sushi. Growing up in Iowa the Sushi I tried was always disgusting. Moved to San Francisco and lived a block from China Town and still didn't eat it. On our honeymoon we went to Bora Bora and were told we had to go to Bloody Mary's as that's where all the famous people went. We didn't get the meal plan at our hotel so I was starving. Walked into the restaurant and all they had was fish. So I asked for the closest thing to a steak. They brought out a giant chunk of seared Ahi Tuna. I cut into it with my fork and it was the most juicy succulent piece of meat I've ever tasted.
As soon as we got home I started going to all the SF Sushi places and was hooked for life! Now living in Des Moines I'm shocked at how good the Sushi is at some of the local restaurants. I could live off it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT