ADVERTISEMENT

Describe a great play by a past Kirk QB and say whether Petras or Padilla could have executed it.

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I will start. Stanzi at Wisconsin. I cant remember all the particulars of the score but it was close and I think toward the end of the first half.

Iowa fell behind by about 10-0 but from about the Wisky 30-35 the hawks ran play action pass, stanzi got pressure and started to move out of the pocket to the right, another rusher came up on him and he broke out of that tackle, rolled farther to the right and threw a beautiful ball to Moeacki in the back right corner of the endzone. Touchdown Iowa as Dolph likes to scream.

The hawks went ahead, a field goal, a lot of stifling defense, and an Adam Robinson TD run put it away.

I just dont see our two qbs this year doing this, especially Petras because of his lack of mobility. Padilla almost threw a great completion to Bruce late in the last game that showed he could make those plays sometimes.

Don’t remember the situation, but vs OSU in Kinnick, blindside rusher had Tate in his cross hairs…Tate magically spins out of it at the last second and throws a TD strike to Clinton Soloman.

Padilla is doubtful to be able to do it….and Petras?…..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA we would be lucky if it didn’t turn into a scoop and score strip sack for OSU…

Stanley, not necessarily a great QB, but tOSU at home, throws a strike with a defender gnawing in his ankle. Petras collapses once the defender reaches for the ankle. Padilla, probably throws the ball into the 3rd row

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Stanzi, injured, sprints for the goal line against Indiana and leaps into the endzone as he is getting crushed by defenders.

I thought Indiana had us beat that day, Rick had other ideas.

Last edited:
Stanley, not necessarily a great QB, but tOSU at home, throws a strike with a defender gnawing in his ankle. Petras collapses once the defender reaches for the ankle. Padilla, probably throws the ball into the 3rd row
Pass was to Hockensen

Don’t remember the situation, but vs OSU in Kinnick, blindside rusher had Tate in his cross hairs…Tate magically spins out of it at the last second and throws a TD strike to Clinton Soloman.

Padilla is doubtful to be able to do it….and Petras?…..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA we would be lucky if it didn’t turn into a scoop and score strip sack for OSU…
Are you thinking of the '04 Wisconsin game? I linked to the specific time...

No way could either Padilla or SP do this...

(BTW this is one of my favorite plays as a hawk fan which is why I remember it)

Brad Banks' scramble and long run VS Purdue at home 02. Saved the game and the undefeated conference season for Iowa. Totally laughable for most qb's of KF era, who wants a mobile qb anyway?

Reactions: uihawk82
about 500 plays by Drew Tate. Drew was arguably the best pure passer Ferentz has had and he had not a ton to work with ... one year they had ZERO running game. He had terrific pocket awareness and could extend plays.
Tate on the 2022 Iowa team and they may go undefeated

CJ B was great at improvising and being tough on the run, he had a few leaping plays that neither have shown they can make.

iu

Reactions: DrVenkman
CJ B was great at improvising and being tough on the run, he had a few leaping plays that neither have shown they can make.

iu
I said stanzi but was thinking of this play I think.

No...neither of them make that play.

Reactions: obfuscating
From the opposite perspective, I can't think of a play that involved Petras or Padilla that any middle of the road FBS or even FCS qb couldn't pull off.
In the rare throws that Petras has completed downfield it isn't as if he scrambled, avoided a rush in his face, etc. He had plenty of time in an unpressured pocket to throw to an open receiver. That's not special, that's what's supposed to happen.
Tate, Banks, CJB, Stanzi all had instances that THEY were THE playmaker. They made something happen that didn't look like it should be there.
Certainly not Petras, nor Padilla in his more limited action, has shown that kind of ability.
I don't think Kirk has interest in a playmaker at qb. His ideal QB is a Nate Stanley type. Above average game manager is what he wants.

From the opposite perspective, I can't think of a play that involved Petras or Padilla that any middle of the road FBS or even FCS qb couldn't pull off.
In the rare throws that Petras has completed downfield it isn't as if he scrambled, avoided a rush in his face, etc. He had plenty of time in an unpressured pocket to throw to an open receiver. That's not special, that's what's supposed to happen.
Tate, Banks, CJB, Stanzi all had instances that THEY were THE playmaker. They made something happen that didn't look like it should be there.
Certainly not Petras, nor Padilla in his more limited action, has shown that kind of ability.
I don't think Kirk has interest in a playmaker at qb. His ideal QB is a Nate Stanley type. Above average game manager is what he wants.
The amount of disrespect Nathan Stanley gets for being the second winningest and second most productive QB in school history is asinine.

about 500 plays by Drew Tate. Drew was arguably the best pure passer Ferentz has had and he had not a ton to work with ... one year they had ZERO running game. He had terrific pocket awareness and could extend plays.
Absof'inglutely.

And undefeated on the 2021 team last year as Tate dazzles and confounds the 4 teams that beat us. Hawks beat Kentucky by 17+ with Tate.

Reactions: DrVenkman
CJB 40 yard bomb against ISU was on a rope. Petra’s has that arm and maybe more
Oh yeah that is a great one as ISU thought they almost had him by the goal line but he steps up and throws Iowa out of a hole. CJB also had those two really long, weaving scampers in that game

First thing that comes to my mind is Drew Tate having his helmet ripped off, then firing a long completion downfield. I think it was vs. Michigan? It didn't count, because the play is dead once the ball carrier's helmet is off, but still. That guy was one fiery and tough SOB. Petras has shown great toughness with the abuse he's take this year, but I don't see him doing something like that.

I’ll set the scene:
This is it, the final play of the game. Iowa’s unbeaten streak on the line. They’ve won 11 in a row. It doesn’t get any bigger or better than this play. Johnson-Koulianos and Strauss at the bottom of the screen, McNutt at the top. Morse the fullback is in to block. Moeaki on the wing, he goes in motion. 2 seconds to go, last play of the game. Petras! Oh he throws it out the back of the end zone! The pass sailed 5 feet above Marvin McNutt’s head.

Are you thinking of the '04 Wisconsin game? I linked to the specific time...

No way could either Padilla or SP do this...

(BTW this is one of my favorite plays as a hawk fan which is why I remember it)
I actually was…wow, I guess 18 years can impact a memory. I could have sworn that was OSU….I guess I had white and red team colors right at least!

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
This X 100

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Iowas great seasons have generally hinged upon the feet of the qb. Picking up a few extra first downs a game is huge for a team like iowa. I don't understand why we wouldn't have a qb that was coached up to do just that. I get the injury angle but the blandness of iowa's offense does have an upside. It really doesn't matter who is playing qb. So if you have a couple qb's capable of running once and awhile, it makes Iowa a much better offense.

ADVERTISEMENT