ADVERTISEMENT

Desired position moves and/or speculation on transfers

The fact of the matter is that not everybody is going to get to start. However, Phil has also shown a great willingness to package guys more to give them packaged reps. If they can make the most of their special teams and packaged reps ... that can grow Phil's trust in them. Thus, when the situation arises ... the guy can find themselves getting sent out on the field, playing more meaningful snaps.

Here's the intriguing thing about our current group of CBs:

Hankins: multi-year starter (definitely well within Phil's circle of trust) - the improvement for Hankins as been incremental ... and injuries last year impeded some of his development ... however, he's poised to have his best season in '20.

Moss: Has around half a season of starts and was Iowa's #3 CB in the latter half of the season once he returned to good health.

Brents: Injuries derailed his '19 season really before its start ... however, he saw a lot of quality action in '18 (including nearly half a season of starts) and he's a guy who Phil really seems to like.

Roberts: He's a young man who has been continuing to "climb the ladder." He saw a lot of reps in the first half of the season, when our secondary was depleted due to injuries. It strikes me that he's a guy who's been continuing to earn Phil's trust ... and he has the advantage of receiving the tutelage of Jovon Johnson (and Bob Sanders) - so he knows what to expect from Phil.

Harris: He's a guy who seemed to be jumping onto Phil's radar last season ... particularly when our DB situation was a bit depleted. He was definitely in the proverbial "bull-pen" last year - and can definitely continue to work himself into the picture through the coming years.

McKinney: I honestly don't know what to expect from McKinney. It sounded like LeVar liked him in the return game - but I hadn't heard a lot about his progress as it related to positional action. Phil does seem to have a little extra connection to the Detroit guys he recruits - but they have to earn his trust every bit as much as the other guys too.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Yes he does. Koerner was one of the best players in our defense last year and I believe he will breakout in a big way this year.

That'd be great if he did. I said I think he'll start, it's just not locked. He had a solid year, but also had some missed tackles at times and allowed some big plays. I'm not a hater, he'll likely get better with experience. One of the best players on our defense is a little much though.

Reactions: PNWHawk
My starters would be Belton and Koerner. If we go to cash, Belton moves to cash and Merriweather comes in.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Good point, with Johnson leaving it's pretty clear that Belton will be at cash, and Koerner likely starts at safety.
I honestly don't know ... because it's an interesting situation at CB with Hankins, Moss, and Brents. I could easily see Phil viewing each as a starter. I wouldn't be shocked if Phil liked Brents at CASH/CB ... due to his length. Also, given our situation at CASH/S with Koerner, Belton, and Merriweather ... I also could easily see Phil viewing each as a starter. Everybody but Merriweather has multiple starts. How does playing time shake out? Who plays where?

I honestly have NO IDEA! We're looking at 6 starter-quality guys who are trying to man 5 starting spots on the roster. Obviously, each guy is going to play A LOT throughout the season. But who fits where?

I still remember back in 2011 when Phil started the season experimenting with Hyde at FS. However, our corner situation back then wasn't nearly as healthy. We also had a bunch of guys who were excellent athletes at safety that year ... however, some of them were either not terribly bright or they were just terribly undisciplined.

My starters would be Belton and Koerner. If we go to cash, Belton moves to cash and Merriweather comes in.
Given our personnel, I'm quite certain that Phil is intent on having the CASH-based D be our base.

If Merriweather really impresses ... then that increases the chances that Belton remains at CASH. However, I think that the situation with Brents and Moss is the most interesting one ... if both Moss and Brents are playing at a high level ... I could see Phil giving Brents a shot at CASH ... and that could lead Belton to potentially move over the safety.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Looks to me like there's plenty of talent in the defensive backfield. Without injuries... it will be a big strength. Regardless what was, or wasn't said... Johnson might have thought he wasn't seeing much paying time.

I don’t get the Moss to safety talk. He’s started at corner as a true freshman and that’s where he’s played for two years. Is it simply because he’s white?

I’m fine with him staying at corner but he has to be more physical with receivers, if he can develop that portion of his game, his ability to stick to his technique will really shine through which I think got him on the field early. Because he won’t ever be a great tackling corner I think that’s where people assume a move to FS is possible

The fact of the matter is that not everybody is going to get to start. However, Phil has also shown a great willingness to package guys more to give them packaged reps. If they can make the most of their special teams and packaged reps ... that can grow Phil's trust in them. Thus, when the situation arises ... the guy can find themselves getting sent out on the field, playing more meaningful snaps.

Here's the intriguing thing about our current group of CBs:

Hankins: multi-year starter (definitely well within Phil's circle of trust) - the improvement for Hankins as been incremental ... and injuries last year impeded some of his development ... however, he's poised to have his best season in '20.

Moss: Has around half a season of starts and was Iowa's #3 CB in the latter half of the season once he returned to good health.

Brents: Injuries derailed his '19 season really before its start ... however, he saw a lot of quality action in '18 (including nearly half a season of starts) and he's a guy who Phil really seems to like.

Roberts: He's a young man who has been continuing to "climb the ladder." He saw a lot of reps in the first half of the season, when our secondary was depleted due to injuries. It strikes me that he's a guy who's been continuing to earn Phil's trust ... and he has the advantage of receiving the tutelage of Jovon Johnson (and Bob Sanders) - so he knows what to expect from Phil.

Harris: He's a guy who seemed to be jumping onto Phil's radar last season ... particularly when our DB situation was a bit depleted. He was definitely in the proverbial "bull-pen" last year - and can definitely continue to work himself into the picture through the coming years.

McKinney: I honestly don't know what to expect from McKinney. It sounded like LeVar liked him in the return game - but I hadn't heard a lot about his progress as it related to positional action. Phil does seem to have a little extra connection to the Detroit guys he recruits - but they have to earn his trust every bit as much as the other guys too.

DB: I think their are 3 safeties they like outside of Belton so him staying at Cash seems likely. Merriweather obviously started the year in the first 11, Koerner honestly a very solid year outside of about 4 big mistakes (the usual for a first year safety, should make a big jump like most guys do at that postion) and Castro who was getting reps with twos last year. I think you see Craddieth move on, he was beat out by Merriweather and looks to be in competition with Castro already that usually spells transfer

I think Jermari Harris cracks the two deeps next year. Seems to be the largest of Roberts, Moss and him so that might give him an edge to play out wide in 2021. I also think we are going to lose Brent’s this year as crazy as that is, he’s just too perfect for the NFL not to grade him out well and he appears to have all the talent and I believe put on 20 lbs prior to the injury.

Maybe we see Craddieth move to LB? Either that or maybe he transfers? Of course, if he can make a move at safety ... then the speculation is moot.

Maybe we see Jacobs and/or Campbell move to edge defender?

Will we see any early defections at LB ... or possibly position moves? Klemp to FB?

We're getting an influx of defensive linemen in the '20 class. Will those guys scare off Karchinski or Reames? Or will those guys either move over to DT (Karchinski) or to the OL (either)?

The WR room ... not everyone is going to play. Will any guys move over to DB? Will anyone leave? Marchese - does he stick around (or does he remain a special teams ace)? How about Lockett - he has big-play potential ... but is he just too raw?

I think you see Colbert move to MLB for his final two years. From an anticipation stand point and down right athleticism I think he’s the best of the bunch. Niemann will be a fantastic piece at the Will. If Colbert stays at the Will I think you see Campbell start at MLB. I just don’t know how Campbell beats out two guys with the experience they have and being 4th and 5th year players.

I think you see Jestin used situationally this year as a rush end. I think you have to try and get him on the field, perhaps use him as a spy, rusher, and zone player on third downs. He offers a lot of potential.

I honestly can’t wait to see how the 2019 Dline class turns out. I think Karchinski is a contributor in 2021, he is ox strong and was already built pretty well. If Taajhir develops into the player I think he will be; you have some serious depth going forward with Lee, Jones, Craig, and Taajhir at DE. Factor in that Waggoner will only be a sophomore and Nixon only a junior and you might be looking at the best Dline Iowa has conjured in 2021. When they are paired together.

finally the grad transfers couldn’t have come at a better time. I hope this is the staffs approach going forward when we lose guys early to the draft.

I honestly don't know ... because it's an interesting situation at CB with Hankins, Moss, and Brents. I could easily see Phil viewing each as a starter. I wouldn't be shocked if Phil liked Brents at CASH/CB ... due to his length. Also, given our situation at CASH/S with Koerner, Belton, and Merriweather ... I also could easily see Phil viewing each as a starter. Everybody but Merriweather has multiple starts. How does playing time shake out? Who plays where?

I honestly have NO IDEA! We're looking at 6 starter-quality guys who are trying to man 5 starting spots on the roster. Obviously, each guy is going to play A LOT throughout the season. But who fits where?

I still remember back in 2011 when Phil started the season experimenting with Hyde at FS. However, our corner situation back then wasn't nearly as healthy. We also had a bunch of guys who were excellent athletes at safety that year ... however, some of them were either not terribly bright or they were just terribly undisciplined.

Brents at Cash is unlikely imo. The Cash guy plays closer to the los and has to be a physical guy because he is in a position to stop the run. Belton has proved he can play there and is a physical type. I don't see Brents as that type of a player.

Reactions: CaboKP
Brents at Cash is unlikely imo. The Cash guy plays closer to the los and has to be a physical guy because he is in a position to stop the run. Belton has proved he can play there and is a physical type. I don't see Brents as that type of a player.
I don't know ... perhaps you're right. The only stake I have in this is my hope for the Hawks to field a formidable team. At this point ... I think many of us are jonesing for some football ... so I'm just trying to encourage some football discussion!

Reactions: OKCRockHawk
DB: I think their are 3 safeties they like outside of Belton so him staying at Cash seems likely. Merriweather obviously started the year in the first 11, Koerner honestly a very solid year outside of about 4 big mistakes (the usual for a first year safety, should make a big jump like most guys do at that postion) and Castro who was getting reps with twos last year. I think you see Craddieth move on, he was beat out by Merriweather and looks to be in competition with Castro already that usually spells transfer

I think Jermari Harris cracks the two deeps next year. Seems to be the largest of Roberts, Moss and him so that might give him an edge to play out wide in 2021. I also think we are going to lose Brent’s this year as crazy as that is, he’s just too perfect for the NFL not to grade him out well and he appears to have all the talent and I believe put on 20 lbs prior to the injury.
Brents will have to put up one hell of a season for that to happen. If he does ... good for him! Also, hopefully that indicates very positive things for the Iowa D too!

Phil has shown the willingness to play a bit more dime than we ever did under Norm ... so that will allow our #3 CB to see plenty of action.

As millhawk has suggested ... if Brents isn't a fit at CASH ... then who else is, apart from Belton? I think that we all know that Phil is going to work a bunch of guys at the CASH spot ... simply so that we're not completely screwed if Belton gets injured. However, who are those guys? Is anybody else fit to thrive at the position? Previously, Ojemudia was a guy who saw a lot of backup reps at the spot ... but he was also our most physical corner too. Who else has BOTH the requisite physicality and toughness ... AND the cover skills?

I think you see Jestin used situationally this year as a rush end. I think you have to try and get him on the field, perhaps use him as a spy, rusher, and zone player on third downs. He offers a lot of potential.

I honestly can’t wait to see how the 2019 Dline class turns out. I think Karchinski is a contributor in 2021, he is ox strong and was already built pretty well. If Taajhir develops into the player I think he will be; you have some serious depth going forward with Lee, Jones, Craig, and Taajhir at DE. Factor in that Waggoner will only be a sophomore and Nixon only a junior and you might be looking at the best Dline Iowa has conjured in 2021. When they are paired together.
I'm very excited about the development of Noah Shannon. However, I was concerned that he'd be forced into more action than he might yet be ready for in '20. Thus, I agree that the arrival of Heflin is very well timed.

Like you, I'm very excited about the future of our young D-linemen. While many folks have Bruce pegged at DT ... if he really does run a 4.65 like his high school coach claims ... he might just find himself a role on the edge too! I cannot help but continue to be reminded of Babineaux, when I look at Bruce's skill-set.

Also, I'll be very curious to see how Evans and Lee continue to develop. Evans seems to have a keen ability to rush the passer - however, he still needs to improve his consistency. Furthermore, he can get manhandled at the point of attack too. Thus, I'll look forward to seeing him improve his ability to win hand-fighting battles ... and improve his ability to disengage (when he needs to).

Before the arrival of Heflin, I was expecting us to need Lee to play more on the interior this year. Consequently, I was expecting that we'd need a TR FR DE to give us some reps in '20. I was figuring that Craig or Black might be guys who could be physically the closest to being ready to contribute early (apart from Bruce) at DE. However, if Lee can work more at DE in '20 ... then that relieves some of the need to prematurely force a DE to contribute early.

However, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few TR FR defensive linemen get a shot to play in 4-games through the season. Given that we're graduating 2 SR defensive ends and 2 SR defensive tackles ... it will be beneficial for the team if some of the young guys can get their feet wet.

I don't know ... perhaps you're right. The only stake I have in this is my hope for the Hawks to field a formidable team. At this point ... I think many of us are jonesing for some football ... so I'm just trying to encourage some football discussion!

You may be right also. Hope you didn't take that as a criticism as I like what you contribute. Absolutely we do need some more football discussions.

You may be right also. Hope you didn't take that as a criticism as I like what you contribute. Absolutely we do need some more football discussions.
Even if it were a criticism - it shouldn't matter. Good discourse typically involves a little banter that goes back and forth. Frankly, you just got me thinking about the the "what if" scenario that Brents is considered just a pure CB. In that case, does Moss remain a pure CB too ... or does he diversify his skill-set? I think that it is pretty clear that Phil is pretty high on both guys. So what will he do to keep his "best guys" on the field? To me, that is a pretty interesting question.

Reactions: millhawk
Brents will have to put up one hell of a season for that to happen. If he does ... good for him! Also, hopefully that indicates very positive things for the Iowa D too!

Phil has shown the willingness to play a bit more dime than we ever did under Norm ... so that will allow our #3 CB to see plenty of action.

As millhawk has suggested ... if Brents isn't a fit at CASH ... then who else is, apart from Belton? I think that we all know that Phil is going to work a bunch of guys at the CASH spot ... simply so that we're not completely screwed if Belton gets injured. However, who are those guys? Is anybody else fit to thrive at the position? Previously, Ojemudia was a guy who saw a lot of backup reps at the spot ... but he was also our most physical corner too. Who else has BOTH the requisite physicality and toughness ... AND the cover skills?

Yep, without DJ we don’t have a guy that really fits Beltons mold. Hankins isn’t physical enough, neither is Moss or Roberts. I think Brents could do it in a pinch but you’d probably bump Niemann or Wade out wide before that. My guess is Jermari is your third cash behind the OLB. Merriweather will get a close look too, but might not have the refined cover skills

Yes Phil knows he can pencil Belton in at Cash however at the same time auditioning others to safeguard for injuries and depth. With Cash being a position where you need to have good coverage/closing speed also athletic/physical to drop hips because you’re tackling in space. A couple guys who fit that profile (from reading and watching hs film) are S Castro 6’ 195-200, D Craddieth 5-11 205, J Harris 6’ 200. From hs film Castro covers a lot of area quickly and physical at point of contact, Craddieth entering 3 season..was having a good bowl prep..game starting to slow down..hs film also showed strong closing speed & strong in run support, Harris just a frosh last yr however hs film showed strong closing speed and physical tackler (time with Doyle to add 5-10 pounds & strength will only help). Harris is gritty not aftaid to mix it up and will gain more confidence as he learns the playbook.

Reactions: PNWHawk
I'm very excited about the development of Noah Shannon. However, I was concerned that he'd be forced into more action than he might yet be ready for in '20. Thus, I agree that the arrival of Heflin is very well timed.

Like you, I'm very excited about the future of our young D-linemen. While many folks have Bruce pegged at DT ... if he really does run a 4.65 like his high school coach claims ... he might just find himself a role on the edge too! I cannot help but continue to be reminded of Babineaux, when I look at Bruce's skill-set.

Also, I'll be very curious to see how Evans and Lee continue to develop. Evans seems to have a keen ability to rush the passer - however, he still needs to improve his consistency. Furthermore, he can get manhandled at the point of attack too. Thus, I'll look forward to seeing him improve his ability to win hand-fighting battles ... and improve his ability to disengage (when he needs to).

Before the arrival of Heflin, I was expecting us to need Lee to play more on the interior this year. Consequently, I was expecting that we'd need a TR FR DE to give us some reps in '20. I was figuring that Craig or Black might be guys who could be physically the closest to being ready to contribute early (apart from Bruce) at DE. However, if Lee can work more at DE in '20 ... then that relieves some of the need to prematurely force a DE to contribute early.

However, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few TR FR defensive linemen get a shot to play in 4-games through the season. Given that we're graduating 2 SR defensive ends and 2 SR defensive tackles ... it will be beneficial for the team if some of the young guys can get their feet wet.

Who do you think is most likely to play between Craig and Logan Jones, id say Craig but I think Logan might push for time too. Craig will be a quick learner, if you can perform at high level in two sports you will make a dramatic leap when you begin to focus on one solely. Jones has elite level quickness for a guy his size.

I think you’re right that Lee might end up inside, i was surprised when we got word that Waggoner had moved inside and Lee had moved to DE. Lee seems like a perfect 3 technique but maybe he has more giddy up than I anticipated.

Hurkett is going to develop into a hell of a player. I haven’t seen more technically sound tape from a player his age in my life. That coupled with his strength and tenacity, I could see him being that nightmare of a 3 technique you need to **** shit up.

what do you think Shultes senior year looks like? I thought he was decent, seemed to end up on the ground a lot but never really hurt us with his positioning

Who do you think is most likely to play between Craig and Logan Jones, id say Craig but I think Logan might push for time too. Craig will be a quick learner, if you can perform at high level in two sports you will make a dramatic leap when you begin to focus on one solely. Jones has elite level quickness for a guy his size.

I think you’re right that Lee might end up inside, i was surprised when we got word that Waggoner had moved inside and Lee had moved to DE. Lee seems like a perfect 3 technique but maybe he has more giddy up than I anticipated.

Hurkett is going to develop into a hell of a player. I haven’t seen more technically sound tape from a player his age in my life. That coupled with his strength and tenacity, I could see him being that nightmare of a 3 technique you need to **** shit up.

what do you think Shultes senior year looks like? I thought he was decent, seemed to end up on the ground a lot but never really hurt us with his positioning
I'd still consider Waggoner as much of a DE as a DT. You have to remember Coach Bell's mindset ... he wants guys who can play all 4 spots. He ideally wants to see guys be able to play inside or out!

Similarly, I think Lee is a guy who's getting prepped to play inside or outside. I think that he's explosive enough to be play DE ... however, he likely has enough "wiggle" to split blockers and be really disruptive on the interior.

As for who will see action sooner ... Craig or Jones? I see them as being pretty "even" in terms of opportunity. At DE, who do we have? Golston, VanValkenburg, Evans, Lee, and Waggs. At DT, who do we have? Nixon, Heflin, Schulte, Shannon, and Waggs. With the addition of Heflin - the depth on the inside and outside has seemingly "evened-out" a little bit.

However, there MAY still be opportunity for somebody to earn packaged action on pass-rushing downs. Golston and Evans are probably "locks" to be on the pass-rushing package. However, who mans the other two spots? Nixon was in the package last year ... however, he's a big guy (albeit a surprisingly quick and explosive "big guy"). Thus, I could see one or two young guys potentially earning their way into situational action ... the key word there being "EARNING." Lee might have a leg up on some of the other young guys ... however, I still can't help but think that Craig or Bruce might be guys who could land in the package (particularly Bruce since he's reputed to have pretty freakish speed for his size).

I see Schulte potentially being like Brincks - earning the starting DT spot ... but participating in a really active rotation. He had 12 tackles on limited reps ... and those were really his first extended collegiate reps too. I look for him to improve quite a bit (probably ending the season with tackles in the low 20s) ... but one of the most important things about Schulte is that he's a really good teammate and a lot of the young guys look up to him as a leader. I see those attributes being the sort of factors that could make Schulte one of those key contributors that helps the D develop into a pretty formidable unit.

I'd still consider Waggoner as much of a DE as a DT. You have to remember Coach Bell's mindset ... he wants guys who can play all 4 spots. He ideally wants to see guys be able to play inside or out!

Similarly, I think Lee is a guy who's getting prepped to play inside or outside. I think that he's explosive enough to be play DE ... however, he likely has enough "wiggle" to split blockers and be really disruptive on the interior.

As for who will see action sooner ... Craig or Jones? I see them as being pretty "even" in terms of opportunity. At DE, who do we have? Golston, VanValkenburg, Evans, Lee, and Waggs. At DT, who do we have? Nixon, Heflin, Schulte, Shannon, and Waggs. With the addition of Heflin - the depth on the inside and outside has seemingly "evened-out" a little bit.

However, there MAY still be opportunity for somebody to earn packaged action on pass-rushing downs. Golston and Evans are probably "locks" to be on the pass-rushing package. However, who mans the other two spots? Nixon was in the package last year ... however, he's a big guy (albeit a surprisingly quick and explosive "big guy"). Thus, I could see one or two young guys potentially earning their way into situational action ... the key word there being "EARNING." Lee might have a leg up on some of the other young guys ... however, I still can't help but think that Craig or Bruce might be guys who could land in the package (particularly Bruce since he's reputed to have pretty freakish speed for his size).

I don’t know why that consideration slipped my mind, Waggs is just Chauncey circa 2018. Same with Lee. That list of DE’s and DT’s should provoke some fear. Injuries can/will occur but that will then allow a Craig or Jones to emerge in a minimal role, like Epenesa in 2017. Dline and Secondary look awfully stout, if they can find a playmaker next to Colbert we might be in store for another top 10 D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT