ADVERTISEMENT

Desired position moves and/or speculation on transfers

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
Maybe we see Craddieth move to LB? Either that or maybe he transfers? Of course, if he can make a move at safety ... then the speculation is moot.

Maybe we see Jacobs and/or Campbell move to edge defender?

Will we see any early defections at LB ... or possibly position moves? Klemp to FB?

We're getting an influx of defensive linemen in the '20 class. Will those guys scare off Karchinski or Reames? Or will those guys either move over to DT (Karchinski) or to the OL (either)?

The WR room ... not everyone is going to play. Will any guys move over to DB? Will anyone leave? Marchese - does he stick around (or does he remain a special teams ace)? How about Lockett - he has big-play potential ... but is he just too raw?

Evans
Marchese
Kirkpatrick
Klemp

These are the 4(Evans already transferred)that I would think might transfer this summer. Not something I want but 3-4 players leave each summer.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Niemann to MLB
Moss to Safety
Colbert has been talking about coveting the MLB spot for over a year now. Who will make the move .... Niemann or Colbert?

While I could see Moss make a move to safety ... I could just as easily see Brents make a move to CASH .... of course, that would be predicated upon Belton making a move to safety (I would guess).

since the title of this thread alludes to transfers, let me go on record now & say that.......

I want that DL dude (Heflin?) from Northern Illinois, NOW!

Reactions: millhawk
Evans
Marchese
Kirkpatrick
Klemp

These are the 4(Evans already transferred)that I would think might transfer this summer. Not something I want but 3-4 players leave each summer.
While Phil (Parker) does nothing but churn out NFL-quality DBs ... he's a yeller and a very exacting coach. Of all Iowa's position groups ... we have a tendency of experiencing little waves of attrition at DB too.

I've already speculated upon Craddieth ... but I could see a guy like McKinney see the depth chart stacked ahead of him a bit ... and decide to transfer. Of course, as I recall, McKinney is also a guy the coaches like for his special teams potential too. So who knows?

I don’t get the Moss to safety talk. He’s started at corner as a true freshman and that’s where he’s played for two years. Is it simply because he’s white?
My guess is it's because folks (fans) are swayed by the potential of Brents ... and they figure that with Moss's experience, he can start too if he were to be at safety.

However, just as you indicated ... I see a kid in Moss who has already had consecutive seasons seeing quality reps at corner. He possesses Phil's trust ... and he's likely only going to improve. Thus, I don't see him moving from corner either.

since the title of this thread alludes to transfers, let me go on record now & say that.......

I want that DL dude (Heflin?) from Northern Illinois, NOW!
That's fair ... of course the intention of the thread was more on transfers FROM the Hawks ... however, I'm happy for fellow posters to speculate upon transfers TO Iowa too!

Reactions: mohican1
Colbert has been talking about coveting the MLB spot for over a year now. Who will make the move .... Niemann or Colbert?

Either/or, I think Niemann is the better option. Epenesa aside, the biggest loss on defense is Welch. Its a critical position. Since Doyle and Campbell are still green, move your experienced senior. Niemann has the size and the smarts to get the job done.

While I could see Moss make a move to safety ... I could just as easily see Brents make a move to CASH .... of course, that would be predicated upon Belton making a move to safety (I would guess)

I always thought that Riley's natural position was Safety; was a bit puzzled when he switched to cornerback. CB roster is deeper now. Geno is gone, Merriweather still unproven. Keep Brents at CB.

I don’t get the Moss to safety talk. He’s started at corner as a true freshman and that’s where he’s played for two years. Is it simply because he’s white?
That could be it but I also believe he is one of our three best cover dbs. Hankins will start at one corner and then you have Brent's and moss battling at the other. Koerner has one safety pos locked. You have guys like Belton, Johnson and merriewather potentially filling the other safety pos and or cash but I think moss is better in coverage so just looking at a way to get him on the field.

Another thing to consider with the cash position, I believe the plan is to play it significantly more this year but still play a good share of 4-3. And Phil has said he doesn't want to put k e of his better players in a position where he's not on the field the majority of the time. For instance, lets say belton is considered one of our better overall defenders and they have him playing cash. Do you then pull him off the field when you switch to the 4-3 or do you move him to safety? With an experienced guy like Geno stone or hooker, you can do that. But with younger guys you might.want.them.to just learn or focus on one position

Reactions: VicHawkeye
I don't see Moss moving to safety. He battles Brents for a starting spot at cb, the loser is a solid backup. Hankins is a senior the loser probably starts at cb in '21. Johnson will be a factor.

Merriweather was a starter at safety until he got hurt. I believe he's the frontrunner alongside Koerner. Can't wait to see him healthy.

Why would they move Belton from Cash? He got all that experience last year and did all right. He probably sits when we go 4-3.

Parker was on one of the podcasts earlier this Spring and spoke very highly of Moss at CB. Didn't sound like he had any desire to move him. I trust Phil more than I trust yahoos on the internet.

Moss has elite ball skills, 4 picks and 6 passes defensed in limited CB snaps.

Maybe. Who do you have at safety when he's at cash?
Merriweather was the starter at the beginning of the season at safety until he got hurt. So I would say him or dj Johnson. Either way, we seem to have a lot of depth at the DB position.

Maybe we see Craddieth move to LB? Either that or maybe he transfers? Of course, if he can make a move at safety ... then the speculation is moot.

Maybe we see Jacobs and/or Campbell move to edge defender?

Will we see any early defections at LB ... or possibly position moves? Klemp to FB?

If there's a move from LB to DE, it should be Doyle, not Jacobs or Cambell.

It's more about who he'd be keeping off the field at either position. If Moss keeps Koerner or Merriweather off the field, people can live with that. If he keeps Brents off the field, that's a problem.

I was thinking that we had a good number of experienced DBs .... and that can often lead to some attrition. Sorry to see that DJ Johnson is leaving.

agree

he is a natural CB. While he lacks a smidge in athleticism he has the best ball awareness of the group imo

Evans
Marchese
Kirkpatrick
Klemp

Evans transferred? I thought he played a big role last year at Edge defender. Why would he leave?

I think Sebastian Castro is too good of a football player to keep off of the field. He diagnoses plays very quickly and hits like a truck when he arrives.

Maybe Belton starts out as one of the starting safeties in the 4-3 and Castro comes in to take his spot when we switch to the 4-2-5 as the Cash.

He will have to beat out Merriweather. Quite frankly, I see him as a very good candidate at cash.

What a great problem to have ... we are loaded at DB right now, even after the departure of DJ Johnson.

Reactions: BBHawk
That could be it but I also believe he is one of our three best cover dbs. Hankins will start at one corner and then you have Brent's and moss battling at the other. Koerner has one safety pos locked. You have guys like Belton, Johnson and merriewather potentially filling the other safety pos and or cash but I think moss is better in coverage so just looking at a way to get him on the field.

Another thing to consider with the cash position, I believe the plan is to play it significantly more this year but still play a good share of 4-3. And Phil has said he doesn't want to put k e of his better players in a position where he's not on the field the majority of the time. For instance, lets say belton is considered one of our better overall defenders and they have him playing cash. Do you then pull him off the field when you switch to the 4-3 or do you move him to safety? With an experienced guy like Geno stone or hooker, you can do that. But with younger guys you might.want.them.to just learn or focus on one position

I wouldn't say Koerner has a starting job locked right now.

Reactions: HawkInArk
I wouldn't say Koerner has a starting job locked right now.
Let's suppose that Belton sticks at CASH - since he's already demonstrated an aptitude for the position. Then who else do we have at safety?

- Koerner: Guy who started last year and played quite solidly.
- Merriweather: Guy who started one game - and was last years pre-season favorite to be a starter at safety.
- Castro: Phil Parker has a pretty long history of developing former QB playmakers into NFL-caliber safeties. Castro seems to fit this profile.
- Craddieth: Pretty highly rated recruit. Was recruited by many folks at WR, in addition to DB ... so he likely has good ball-skills.
- Bracy: Will be a true freshman ... seems a little bit more like a run-stopper. I'm curious about his pass-D instincts.
- Lawson: Will be a true freshman. Played WR in high school too - has very good ball skills. Had a good number of picks in HS too.

Let's suppose that Belton sticks at CASH - since he's already demonstrated an aptitude for the position. Then who else do we have at safety?

- Koerner: Guy who started last year and played quite solidly.
- Merriweather: Guy who started one game - and was last years pre-season favorite to be a starter at safety.
- Castro: Phil Parker has a pretty long history of developing former QB playmakers into NFL-caliber safeties. Castro seems to fit this profile.
- Craddieth: Pretty highly rated recruit. Was recruited by many folks at WR, in addition to DB ... so he likely has good ball-skills.
- Bracy: Will be a true freshman ... seems a little bit more like a run-stopper. I'm curious about his pass-D instincts.
- Lawson: Will be a true freshman. Played WR in high school too - has very good ball skills. Had a good number of picks in HS too.

I could see Merriweather and Moss or Belton be the safeties on the field most. This was more probable before Johnson left. If I had to guess I'd say Koerner gets one of the spots because he's more experienced now, I just wouldn't pencil it in.

I could see Merriweather and Moss or Belton be the safeties on the field most. This was more probable before Johnson left. If I had to guess I'd say Koerner gets one of the spots because he's more experienced now, I just wouldn't pencil it in.
Who would be at CASH if Belton is at safety?

I agree with the idea that, in principle, all positions are open to competition.

Koerner will start.... I’d be willing to pen that in. I also think Merriweather will be the other guy. The kid was a total project.... really raw as far a FB experience (believe he didn’t play until Jr. in HS). And won Phil Parker over and started week one. He had his moments good and bad like EVERY 1st start safety had, but imo I came away impressed and excited about his potential. Loved that stick he had near the goal-line. I’d just Pencil him in but he’s the guy I’m rooting for

Koerner will start.... I’d be willing to pen that in. I also think Merriweather will be the other guy. The kid was a total project.... really raw as far a FB experience (believe he didn’t play until Jr. in HS). And won Phil Parker over and started week one. He had his moments good and bad like EVERY 1st start safety had, but imo I came away impressed and excited about his potential. Loved that stick he had near the goal-line. I’d just Pencil him in but he’s the guy I’m rooting for
Yeah - my working assumption is that Koerner and Merriweather are the likely favorites for the two starting safety spots. However, as Merriweather learned last year - just being the favorite is not enough. A little injury ... and then someone can slip in and take the spot. That's why the other guys need to make sure that they're preparing as if they were starters ... you never know when you're going to get your opportunity ... but when you do, you have a chance to lock down a spot for yourself if you make the most of your chances.

I still remember the 2017 season ... Gervase was missing his run fills against North Texas ... so Phil put in Amani Hooker. After the game, Amani was essentially quoted as saying that he was just expecting to see action as a nickel-back in the '17 season. Amani ultimately played well enough and consistently enough ... that he started the rest of the games when he was healthy enough to play!

Gervase, in 2017, is also a great example of keeping your head up and keeping your nose to the proverbial grind-stone. He got knocked out of the starting line-up ... not even due to injury ... but he worked his way back to winning a starting spot! Again, it boiled down to taking advantage of his opportunities. Taylor was dinged, Hooker got injured, and Snyder got re-injured ... so Gervase got back on the horse and re-won a starting spot!

ADVERTISEMENT