ADVERTISEMENT

Destin, Fl

gojojo

HR Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Booked a trip for the fam in January for the end of July. No refunds available so we're making the trek. Assuming Florida isn't closed, which according to Roy Wally can't happen, what are the must see attractions in Destin?

Go to Ft Walton and do Goofy Golf, free Air Museum, eat at Buffalo Reef, and walk out on Pier (odd subculture on the Pier that fishes all day, some seem to be fishing for bait).

Yup, your welcome.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and goldmom
Booked a trip for the fam in January for the end of July. No refunds available so we're making the trek. Assuming Florida isn't closed, which according to Roy Wally can't happen, what are the must see attractions in Destin?

Dude, if you're going to Florida, you MUST do a fishing charter.

By any chance did you book a room with a kitchen for cooking up your catch?

Even if you didn't, most hotels have a grill for guests to use.

Fresh caught fish blows away anything you can get at a store.

Won't be fishing as this is a daddy trip with the kids; my daughters would rather stab themselves in the eye than fish. They want to parasail, swim with dolphins somewhere. Looking forward to the fresh fish.

We have a house a block from the beach with a full kitchen and pool. It's beautiful and the price of a small used car a night. Obviously, we don't have much ocean access here so my concern is dropping a pretty penny and this outbreak increasing, closing the beach. I may get arrested trespassing if that happens and I can't survive a Florida jail; I'm way too pretty.

Won't be fishing as this is a daddy trip with the kids; my daughters would rather stab themselves in the eye than fish. They want to parasail, swim with dolphins somewhere. Looking forward to the fresh fish.

We have a house a block from the beach with a full kitchen and pool. It's beautiful and the price of a small used car a night. Obviously, we don't have much ocean access here so my concern is dropping a pretty penny and this outbreak increasing, closing the beach. I may get arrested trespassing if that happens and I can't survive a Florida jail; I'm way too pretty.

Tell your daughters to man-up and fish if they want to eat.

Its about an hour away but the navy museum in Pensacola is fantastic.

Reactions: Finance85
Do people go to the beach in January?

"We all know Destin as a spring break and summer getaway, but what is there to do in Destin in the winter time? The water is too cold for swimming, and many of the popular tour companies providing parasailing, snorkeling tours, and banana boat rides close for the winter and fall. But rest assured, there are plenty of things to do in Destin in cold weather!"

https://www.tripshock.com/blog/7-Delightful-Destin-Things-To-Do-in-Winter/

Booked the trip for July in January.

Feels good to agree with you on every single point.

I still wouldn't go to FL right now, though.

The beaches were begrudgingly closed in March when the spring breakers were here. I promise you that they will not be closed now that they are full of family vacationers spending a lot of money. Tax revenue trumps all.

Do people go to the beach in January?

"We all know Destin as a spring break and summer getaway, but what is there to do in Destin in the winter time? The water is too cold for swimming, and many of the popular tour companies providing parasailing, snorkeling tours, and banana boat rides close for the winter and fall. But rest assured, there are plenty of things to do in Destin in cold weather!"

https://www.tripshock.com/blog/7-Delightful-Destin-Things-To-Do-in-Winter/
Usually only see Canadians at the beach in January. It's really still too cold in March in the upper Gulf Coast to go in the water.

Beaches right now are crowded, but there's still plenty of room for social distancing. I see pictures that misrepresent how far apart people really are.

Usually only see Canadians at the beach in January. It's really still too cold in March in the upper Gulf Coast to go in the water.

Beaches right now are crowded, but there's still plenty of room for social distancing. I see pictures that misrepresent how far apart people really are.

this.

It’s a huge beach so there is no reason you cannot spread out.

Have them watch Blackfish before you go.

Hoping everything stays open also. I have a SCUBA checkout dive scheduled for for mid month to get my open water and Nitrox certs, then the following week I have 7 nights booked in Destin. Hoping to get some spear fishing in for fresh Lion Fish. Thatd be a treat!

My favorite time of the year, Gulf Side, is in October. We already deal with the heat/humidity throughout the Summer. I don’t see a need to crank it up a notch and head to Florida.

Hoping everything stays open also. I have a SCUBA checkout dive scheduled for for mid month to get my open water and Nitrox certs, then the following week I have 7 nights booked in Destin. Hoping to get some spear fishing in for fresh Lion Fish. Thatd be a treat!

My friend is a master dive instructor in Pensacola, and her shop is still doing classes with no plans to stop at this point.

I hope you get lots of lionfish. I also hope you have a good bag for those lionfish, so you don't get stung.

scuba.gif

I’ve been to a lot of beaches and Destin is up there. Certainly for the US.

Warm gulf water, white soft sand and it’s relatively clean.

The sand on the beach is amazing, the people vacationing there are generally SEC trash.

Come at me Floridians!

Relative is an airline pilot and been all over the world. He said the beaches between Ft Walton and Destin are some of the best in the world.

the sand is like powdered sugar, amazing.

The sand on the beach is amazing, the people vacationing there are generally SEC trash.

Come at me Floridians!

Actually, that's true. Destin does get a little bit better class of people than Pensacola though.

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT