jonmartn

HB All-State
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2007
Omaha, NE
From the Nebraska Hawk's Nest Facebook page

A letter to my son...
Son,
You astound me. Watching you weather this storm with grace makes this mama so proud. There is no doubt that God gave you the answer you asked for. You had no option.
Everyone inside the facility knows it.
I know how hard this has been.
I know you were promised opportunities that never manifested.
I know you watched patiently (albeit painful) as all the reps were ran without you.
I've seen the film.
I've heard those that were there every day say you were the most talented.
I've read the texts.
I listened to the testimonies of the teammates that were so perplexed as to why you weren't starting.
I heard the voicemails.
I know the apology was sincere. Too late, but sincere.
I know the tears that were shed by your teammates, managers, trainers, teachers, shop owners, and friends in iowa city when you said goodbye. Stunned. Saddend. Hurt.
I heard your teammates tell you you'll always be their qb... even willing to go wherever you end up.
I know your "mahomes" nickname from your teammates.
I know you are a patient man and your time was coming, inevitable. And all the things that the fans were waiting for is in you. And even though it was brutal to wait, you were willing..with no malice. (Unlike your mother.)
I know I am unbelievably grateful for the man you are. You are a mighty man of God. You have impacted many, already, in your lifetime, and this is only the beginning.
I am one of many.
Buying a one-way ticket to drive home with you, a whirlwind of goodbyes, and a 20 hour road trip will forever be etched into my memory. It was a privilege to witness you during this time. Kind, positive, thoughtful, confident. Phone blowing up with calls, texts, and chats... and offers...
We will soon see what is next, we may not know the future, but we do know that God does.
"I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans for hope and a future." JER 29:11
** Side note for those that do not know what happened. Deuce did not leave Iowa because of playing time .. The head coach slandered him In a press conference ... Very out of character for the coach... he was trying to be funny... unfortunately, there was no backtracking on his mistake. He has since apologized to Deuce, the team, and the media. But Deuce cannot play for him... and everyone in the facility understands why.**

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.